Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

are all 4th gen f-body steering column assemblies interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default are all 4th gen f-body steering column assemblies interchangeable?

I posted this in another section and im not sure if it was in the best area to put it, so I'm posting it in here....

Something in my steering column broke and now the key will turn over with no resistance and doesn't turn the car on nor does it turn anything else on, so I'm thinking it's time for a new steering column.

My question is: are all 4th gen f-body steering racks interchangeable? I have a 1994 Formula 6-speed with no steering wheel buttons for the radio.

thanks!
Old 12-20-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the shaft that goes to the ignition switch. Shouldn't be to difficult to repair. As far as I know the steering columns are interchangeable in 4th gens, but you don't seem to need a whole column either.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is doing the same thing.... I found if you pull down on the wheel hard while turning the key, itll work normally. If you just leave the wheel alone the key will spin and not have any effect.

In a way its almost handy.. I can start the car, and then if I dont pull the wheel down when I take the key out, the car will keep running while the key is out of the car. So if I forget something inside, I can leave the car running and take the keys with me to get back into the house! haha

But yeah I definitely need to get mine fixed. I was just going to get a used column from eBay, and swap over the parts I need to my current column.

Quick Reply: are all 4th gen f-body steering column assemblies interchangeable?