Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I drill my LS6 intake to accept EGR???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can I drill my LS6 intake to accept EGR???

I failed emissions on a visual inspection on a '98, now I have to get my emissions done AT THE STATE FACILITY. After research, I want to reinstall my EGR after all. I know Lingenfelter used to make a part for this, but it is gone. So the question is as simple as it sounds, can I drill a hole in the front of my LS6 manifold for the EGR pipe, and basically just screw it in?

Please don't turn this into a "why would you want EGR" thread.
I do want to keep it. I will get an SLP if I have to, but obviously, I'd much rather do this if it is possible.

Thanks in advance for any help or experience you can give me.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

I know your situation, the EGR is still at home on my car for the same reason; SMOG!
You could drill a hole, but IMO there's guarantee you would get it to work correctly. IMO if you need to keep the EGR get the BBK SSI and sell the LS6. You can get the BBK new for $400(http://www.neweraperformanceparts.co...bbkls1in|0)and and you can later upgrade to 85mm TB if you want, and the EGR can very easily be removed/ reinstalled for smog. You can't do that with the SLP (+$550) or regular LS6 intake.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 12-21-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can modify it yourself, but if it leaks...you'll have a hard time getting the car to even run right, let alone pass emissions...going to the SLP intake will look completely stock, and will accept EGR properly...you can probably sell your LS6 intake on the forum for a good chunk of change and not need to invest too much in the change to the SLP one...or maybe even post up and see if anyone wants to trade straight up SLP LS6 for your LS6, maybe there's someone who doesn't need/want it.

I'd be careful putting a BBK intake on the car just because you have to go to the state facility and you already failed visual once, going there with a shiny billet intake manifold will just be way more hassle than it's worth.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You should talk to this guy.. he bought an intake and it turned out to be an slp ls6 intake and he wants one without the hole for egr. Maybe you guy s can swap intakes. This will solve both your problems.
This is the thread where he found out that he had been sold an slp ls6 intake- https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...e-has-egr.html
This is his for sale thread where he wants to sell it to buy and original ls6 intake with no egr.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts...ntake-egr.html