General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeeling Ls1

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Squeeling Ls1

Hey fellas I'm new around but been browsing lots and found this forum real helpful. Well recently i replaced my alternator with a remanufactured one because it went and my car started squeeling. I warrantied out the alternator thinking that was it but nope it wasn't it. I also regreased the pulley that goes right above the alternator but no results and my tensioner pulley is also new along with a new belt. Any ideas of what could be the problem here. I am just about out of ideas It really takes the whole muscle car thing away when you hear loud squeeling that go along with the engine rpms. Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:10 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Have you checked the pullies for the A/C system? There is an idler and tensioner pulley for that belt as well. I'd just pull the A/C belt first and see if the noise stops. At least then you know which belt system has the issue.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Launching!

I have not checked the ac pullies but the noise does seem to come from the alternator and power steering pump area. I dont seem to hear any noise coming from the ac compressor area.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah^^ try that first, but how bad is the squeel? I have noticed on many gm vehicles that some belt squeel is normal, especially in wet conditions. Some people use belt dressing and that seems to get rid of the noise, but I think that stuff is messy. I've put a new belt on my car when I did the slp underdrive pulley and it went away for a few thousand miles, but was present again later when conditions got wet outside. I'm not trying to rule out a bad pulley, just saying it may be the belt.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:36 AM
Launching!

Its pretty bad. I tried belt dressing and it made the squeel stop for 5 seconds then it got 3x worse to the point where i decided to replace the belt. so its about 2 days old. I will never use belt dressing again.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

So it did make the noise go away? that should tell ya that the pulleys are all good. Has the new belt been quiet?
Old 12-21-2009, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silverz28camaro
So it did make the noise go away? that should tell ya that the pulleys are all good. Has the new belt been quiet?
Well maybe not. Did you say you replaced the alt. and it started squeeling? Take the belt off, and you should be able to spin the alt. pulley and it should freewheel pretty easy. You said it was re-man. so maybe there was a slight mishap with it? If it drags at all with the key off there is a problem with the way it was assembled. now when you turn the key on it should apply voltage to the alt. and energize the outer feild windings making it harder to spin, but this is normal to produce electricity.. Is your volt meter in the car between 13-14 volts? I also think with a weak battery the alt. will try to put out more energy, and therefore creating a higher voltage field whitch will make the alt. even harder to spin, whitch may be causing slight belt slippage.

Do you have an ud pulley? If not this may help ya, it made the noise less on mine after the install. The smaller pulley will make the belt wrap around the alt. slightly more giving it more grip, and by spinning it slightly slower it may help with slippage further.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Well i thought there was a mishap so I took it back and traded it for another one but still the same problem. Idk about the battery it's a redtop and the car cranks just fine and also i can still sit 1hr or more with the music on and it cranks up like nothing so I am doubting the battery but will not rule it out. It did become quieter with the new belt but its still really audible i can hear it over my exhaust while driving under highway and city speeds. The gauge is around 13 14 volts and no to the UD pulley.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lazyhomie
I have not checked the ac pullies but the noise does seem to come from the alternator and power steering pump area. I dont seem to hear any noise coming from the ac compressor area.
My ac idler was the culprit when my car was squealing, really easy fix if just the pulley is bad so id check it asap. little bearing grease can go a long way lol

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...r-pulleys.html
Old 12-21-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would try pulling the compressor belt off, and see if it still makes the noise. This way you can completely cancel out that pulley system. Its worth the 5 minutes of work in my opinion.

I know you say the noise is not coming from this area, but it can get loud with the engine on, and become hard to tell for sure where a noise is coming from.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Launching!

I pulled off the belt off from the ac completely and the squeak is still there. I also ran the car without the belt for a few seconds and the noise was gone so for sure its something in the accessories. I changed the pulley right above the alternator with a new one and the squeel is still there. belt is about 3 days old only all the other pullies are new. It sounds like its coming from the alternator/ power steering pump area.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lazyhomie
I pulled off the belt off from the ac completely and the squeak is still there. I also ran the car without the belt for a few seconds and the noise was gone so for sure its something in the accessories. I changed the pulley right above the alternator with a new one and the squeel is still there. belt is about 3 days old only all the other pullies are new. It sounds like its coming from the alternator/ power steering pump area.
unplug the alt wire that sends it singal for charge, this shouldn't hurt anything, only it will not be charging for a few seconds. This will allow the alt. to free wheel, if the squeel is still there then you can rule out the alt. If it goes away then it may just be the load that the alt. puts on the belt.

Also maybe not what side of the belt you spray that dressing on.... both sieds of the belt drive something.... if spraying one side allows the belt to stop squeeling, look at those pulleys. Or if you spray the other side and nothing happens then maybe you can rule out those pulleys.

Does the waterpump pulley feel free when the belt is off?
Old 12-21-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check the fluid level in the PS pump and make sure the pulley turns freely.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Launching!

I had a squeal that would not go away after I replaced both my alternator and put a new tensioner on. I would buy a new belt and it would be quiet for a week or so then it would start squealing again. I switched to a gatorback belt, and now the only time it squeals is when I go WOT and its in the 5500 rpm range. Just an idea.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

What brand belt is it? did you get the cheapest one? I use gates belt. no issues.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Gates belt is what I have. I did replace the alternator because it went out last monday. The PS steering pump does turn freely and so does the water pump. Also I can spray the dressing on any side of the belt and it will help it quiet down for a few seconds. The oil level in the PS is topped off. I also bought a new idler pulley and the squeel is still there. I found that the squeel is louder when the car is colder after bout twenty minutes of running the car its a little less but still real loud. I'm completely out of ideas.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd let it go, Like I said before, sometimes they just squeel, put some miles on it, by girlfriends belt used to make that noise, now it doesn't, it may some and go. Also my co-worker bought a new chevy truck. it started squeeling about 10,000 miles into owning it, now it doesn't sometimes.

see what happens after 1,000 miles, if there is a major problem, it will surface, until then quit beating yourself up, it seems every pulley is good....right?
Old 12-23-2009, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Yup well see the thing that is bugging me is that with the new idler puller it squeels real loud. Well a friend that has an Ls1 and me decided to switch parts around when we swapped idler pulleys his idler only squeels when my car is cold like parked over night or something once my car runs for about twenty minutes stops squeeling.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe the pulley isnt lining up right? this guy had a similar problem and fixed it by replacing a bracket

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...lt-squeal.html

Originally Posted by SSickLS1
One of the people who posted back used to work for GM (or still does) and brought it to my attention that there was a service bulliten stating that the alternator bracket the idler pulley was mounted to starts to come out of alignment with the crank pulley over time, causing my annoying chirp.

Quick Reply: Squeeling Ls1