Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Weird clutch issues.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Weird clutch issues.

I have a SLP clutch in my 99 SS. I just bought a Spec Stage 3 that im gonna install this coming up weekend. So here is what is going on. From a dead stop I can take off just fine and redline first then shift to second just fine, and at the top of second my clutch will start to slip and my pedal will dissappear. I have a little bit but its like half as much as I would normally have. So like half of my pedal is just nothing like as if a m/c wasnt even there. I can pull the car in to neutral and wait a couple seconds and my clutch pedal will start to return all on its own. Pumping will make it come back faster but I dont have to. Anytime my clutch slips I lose pedal pressure. Its fine just driving it normal. It only does it when the clutch slips under a good pull. also I can slip my clutch manually like driving through the mall parking lot where I cant really come all the way off of it at a low rpm and it has no issues but if I were to do that at like 3000 rpms or more it would lose pedal pressure again and slowly come back. Another thing it does is if i have my car in gear with the pedal pushed in and rev the motor up the clutch pressure will build up a whole lot and i can let out on it and then push it in and it will lose pressure. My car has 60000 miles on it with the origional m/c and a new slave. What the hell is going on here. Also it doesnt act as crazy if its cold. If that helps. Thanks for your help. Trey
Old 12-21-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a master problem. I just put a new gm slave and tick master in, like night and day. There really isnt much to the hydralic system if you ever have looked at it.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:41 AM
FormerVendor

Agreed this sounds hydraulic. I suggest bleeding the system first to insure that there is no air in the system. I also suggest checking the fluid in the reservoir. If it is dark or discolored then it should be flushed and refilled as part of the bleeding process.

If this doesn't help then you likely have a bad slave or master. Have you noticed any leaks under the car or on the firewall? Let me know and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks,
Old 12-21-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

No leaks. Ive been running this same set up for almost 7000 miles and never had to put a drop of fluid in it. The fluid is a little brown but not like super dark it jus looks used. Its not all thick and stuff or anything. Driving it around normal its fine. Ive made a few 500 mile trips in it with just normal driving and its fine. Only when I really get on it and the clutch slips it loses pressure. Could it be that when the clutch slips it creates a whole bunch of heat and causes the fluid to boil?
Old 12-21-2009, 12:29 PM
FormerVendor

Sure, the heat generated from slippage could boil the fluid. Of course this would typically lead to darker fluid and would normally cause the inconsistency to be more common. You are about to do a new install anyway so just flush and refill the system with new fluid and check the routing of the line that routes past the headers. You can also wrap this line in heat-resistant wrap to better insulate it.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok i will do that and let you know if I have anymore problems. One more quick question. Could a master cyl go bad even if its not leaking fluid?
Old 12-21-2009, 01:56 PM
FormerVendor

Sure! They can bleed-by internally which would lead to this. Of course, I have seen Slaves do this too. Effectively the seals inside the cylinder would have torn allowing fluid to pass. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks,