Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with the 6.0L....WTF

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with the 6.0L....WTF

Ok here's the story...spun a rod bearing in my 98 z28 so i got a LQ4 to replace the LS1. I put long tubes, and a MS4 Cam and dual valve springs in it and bolted the LS1 intake and accessories to it and put it in. I didn't have the transmission in yet because I was waiting on my new clutch but I wanted to start it up to make sure it would run ok. It idled pretty good considering I couldn't drive it down the road to relearn the computer. Idled up and down slightly. Then one day I had it idling for a friend to hear it and it was idling pretty well, and suddenly it started to miss really bad and bog down and then cut out. I couldn't get it restarted right away and while cranking it would backfire and finally started back up but was running horrible. I hooked my scan tool to it and it had a dead miss on cylinders 3 and 5 only. I took the intake manifold off and when i did gas came pouring out of the throttle body. seemed like a half pint to a pint of gas. WTF is going on here? Has anyone run across this before? Why is so much gas sitting in the bottom of the intake? Do I have a huge intake gasket leak or something? Please save my sanity
Old 12-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

anyone?
Old 12-22-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you didnt say that you replaced the pushrods
have you checked them ?
im guessing you might have two pretty mangled intake pushrods on cyls 3 & 5
Old 12-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

you know what, i do believe you are right haha. I didn't even think of that but it does make pretty good sense. I'll pull the valve cover when i get a chance and i'll update ya on the verdict. thanks man.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to hijack, but what do pushrods have to do with gas in the intake?
Old 12-28-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

well it almost sounds to me since it was actually just idling and for a bit when it happened. those 2 injectors could have stuck open. pushrods could give you a problem, because if the pushrod was bent(it would have to be bad enough to notice when putting the lq4 together, also causing a bad ticking!) then it could keep the intake valve from opening causing the fuel to back up into the intake. check all your sensors and fuses also . i know the engine sensor fuse which on the same circuit 4 just about all the sensors like map, maf, o2's etc could be blown causing a very over-rich fueling situation. let us know what you find out so far!
Old 12-28-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the answer, and I would love to hear what is found out as well!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me like the injectors stuck open on those 2 cylinders for some reason.

Push rods are a less-likely problem for this, IMO. Open headers or not, standing near the motor with it running you shouldve been able to hear the knocking/clacking sound the push rods wouldve been making to bend that much.

Good luck OP and let us know what you find.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
Sounds to me like the injectors stuck open on those 2 cylinders for some reason.

Push rods are a less-likely problem for this, IMO. Open headers or not, standing near the motor with it running you shouldve been able to hear the knocking/clacking sound the push rods wouldve been making to bend that much.

Good luck OP and let us know what you find.

when my pushrods failed (and bad enough that one was in two pieces) i could not hear anything other then a miss (also had backed up fuel)