Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 monster questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 monster questions

i hope this is the correct thread for this so here it goes

so i have been researching the ls1 swap in to a miata. it was not until recently that i found this forum and read through a few different peoples build's. i have yet to relay talk to any one knowledgeable on what exactly it takes to build one.

first off i am wanting this car to do autox and track days i have been doing them in my 06 mustang for about 6 months now and i have reached a limit that i want to take it to because it is my DD and do not want to start breaking things in it. it has adjustable shocks and every bolt on and i am wanting more.

this got me looking at different cars i would want to build and then one day it hit me and i remembered a video i saw on you tube of a monster miata and for about 3 months now i have been thinking about them but it has only been in the past few weeks that i have looked deep in to them. this raised alot of questions in my mind.

i have a few key questions that i have seen before talked about in different threads but not exactly the information i wanted.

i saw the different kits from flyinmiata, bossfrog, V8roadsters, and raceing concepts. but i do not understand which kit is best for what im wanting to do because i want to keep the weight down the v8roadster kit weighing less may be the best for me. but me being more of the technical type i want to know what exactly makes one kit better than another and what is good from one but not as good in another kit.

im also considered about the wiring in the car what part of the stock wiring is used and what is changed. what is done about all the airbags and things of that nature, and how is it all hooked up to work. i know this may sound like a dumb question but i have never messed around with the wiring in a car so this is the most intimidating part of the build for me.

what can i do as far as a suspension for the car im wanting to basically go through every thing and build it to the max as far as adjustibility. i do not understand what parts for a miata like shocks and springs can still be used after the motor swap and what all the swap effects on the car.

my next thing is what all can be done to a LS1 i hate to say this but i know almost nothing about them im thinking about 400-450 to the wheels and i know i can get that with a few different mods but i have to research what exactly i need to do to reach a goal of that. that power range is kind of some thing to think about because it is hard to give an ET estimate on a car that may not see a drag-strip more than once. im more considered with power to weight and wanting it as low as possible. this kind of leads me in to my next question what can i get to the car down to in weight with a fully stripped interior and a roll bar and what are a few key ways that people have been shaving weight.

next thing is what kind of tools and i going to need have. i dont have to much past a basic set of tools so i dont want to get going on the project and be surprised when i need 4 grand worth of tools.

im also wondering if any one mite know what class the miata would run in in the scca for autox i tried figuring it out my self but that was a PITA the scca rule book is a thorn in my side.

thanks for all your replies