Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS conversion...engine & trans opinions?

Old 12-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS conversion...engine & trans opinions?

In the planning stages of an LS swap into a 71 vette.
Wanted to know your opinions of a nice engine/trans package for the vette.
Goal is a solid "protouring" performance package with the reliability of a weekend street cruiser.

What engine/trans package would you recommend with the best bang for your buck?

Situation #1: A friend of a friend will cut me a deal on an LQ9 6.0 out of an 03 Cadillac Escalade Ext (345hp, 380 ft-lbs). Aprox 140k miles, truck was in great exterior condition, interior fire damage. Because of the fire damage the parts yard does not have the keys so they can't crank the engine to see if it runs. They did turn over the engine via the crank pully and it turns freely. Probably an insurance scam.
This engine would run us aprox $800.
The above engine plus L92 heads, Comp Cam/valve springs, LS1 intake, F-body water pump and accessories.
500hp at the crank for around $2k.

Question #1: what's your opinion on not being able to start the engine? Nothing on the engine has been parted out yet so no open ports. Doubt they'll let us hot wire the car and screw up the wiring. Not that I even know how to.

Question #2: Does the above combo sound good? What would you change while being cost conscious?

Question #3: What auto trans would work with LQ9? the trans in the Escalade Ext is AWD so that won't work...or will it, where is the transfer case? Need a trans that will handle the power we plan on making and not give us a hard time fitting into the vette tranny tunnel.

Question #4: What advantages will the LQ9 give us over say picking up an LS1 package with tranny and CPU from a parts yard for $1,800 total?

Thanks
Old 12-21-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 140k miles, I hope you plan on new rings and bearings, at a minimum.
If it ran synthetic oil and you can still see the hone/cross hatch marks in the bore you may be able to get by without the rings and bearings. See what kind of oil filter is on it and pull the valve cover. Mine had a Mobil 1 filter and was spotless inside the valve cover at 65K along with being able to see the hone/cross hatch marks in the bore. Since it is from an Escalade it probably wasn't beat on real hard by some Ricky Racer .

As for tranny's you have some options. If you want electronic shift...the 4L65E or 4L80E. I think they bolt right up. Otherwise, my choice is going to be a 200-4R that is built for up to 500hp (10.9 ETs)...it requires a crank spacer and flexplate mod.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:00 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would not worry about not being able to start the engine so long as they will give you a 30-90 day guarantee. I wasn`t ever able to start any of the engines I bought. I bought 2 for my el camino that had just over 100k and my brother bought 1 with ~60k for his swap. None of them had any problems.

That sounds like a good combo, might want to keep an eye out for a LS6 manifold instead though, or if your going with a small cam even keep the truck manifold if you can get it to clear your hood.

You can basically run whatever trans you want, you will want a 2wd trans but thats about it. Could go manual or auto. TH350/400 if you dont need OD, or beefed up 200r4 if you want OD and an older style trans. Or 4l60e if you want electronically shifted. a 4l80e would be very strong, but may have clearance issues.

LQ9 is going to have more power than a f-body LS1 and trans, however, if you get a f-body LS1 you will be able to re-use the oil pan, exhaust manifolds, intake, accys which you would have to replace to get a LQ9 to fit. The aluminum LS1 would also be ~90 lbs lighter.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:45 PM
Launching!

If you're gonna use L92 heads no ls1 or 6 intake is gonna fit, otherwise i intend to run the same combo and think its a good combo. How bad is the interior fire ? you could pull the ignition box (small black one, held by 2 small torx or E screws) out of the passenger side of the column, disconnect ALL hot leads other then the starter, and feed it some gas. Its obviously not going to run long or even great with no pressure, but i've done this many of times at work as i've worked in several salvage yards. There aint many vehicles i cant start, without keys, intakes and plenty of other missing stuff lol
Old 12-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kj598bbc
If you're gonna use L92 heads no ls1 or 6 intake is gonna fit, otherwise i intend to run the same combo and think its a good combo. How bad is the interior fire ? you could pull the ignition box (small black one, held by 2 small torx or E screws) out of the passenger side of the column, disconnect ALL hot leads other then the starter, and feed it some gas. Its obviously not going to run long or even great with no pressure, but i've done this many of times at work as i've worked in several salvage yards. There aint many vehicles i cant start, without keys, intakes and plenty of other missing stuff lol
haha, not sure if the salvage yard will even let me near the car for insurance purposes but I'll find out. Thanks for the heads up on the L92 heads with the intake, I'll have to look into it. What head/intake are you going to run?
Old 12-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Launching!

I'm gonna be runnin an Lq9 with L92 heads, ported Ls3 intake and throttle body, and i'm pretty sure a Pat G cam, with his recommendation of springs and pushrods, Looking for close to 500 rwhp...
Old 01-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kj598bbc
I'm gonna be runnin an Lq9 with L92 heads, ported Ls3 intake and throttle body, and i'm pretty sure a Pat G cam, with his recommendation of springs and pushrods, Looking for close to 500 rwhp...
Pat G cam? Never heard of this guy, any info?

What trans you going to run?
Old 01-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 600HPShark
Pat G cam? Never heard of this guy, any info?

What trans you going to run?
Pat G specs custom cams and is an administrator, moderator and member here. I'm running a built 60E cause i intend to do a bunch of long haulin........ but i've got a built 350 and a built 400 if i decide to go budget and drive less. Take a peek in the Gen III internal engine forum, theres a Pat G cam comparison thread.

Last edited by kj598bbc; 01-03-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I went the same route in my 68 vette. I started with a LQ9, added 02 vette LS1 intake, pan, and headers, and a 6 speed ROD. A mild tune puts that at near 400hp. I used the LQ9 for cost. Lots of low milage LQs available vs LS1 motors
I was going to do the L92 heads, etc, but my current setup overpowers the tires anyway. I would suggest saving your money and see how it drives without the upgrade.
I wouldn't worry about not starting, as long as you trust the yard.
You can use pretty much any manual trans, 4L80e with a crank spacer, or 4L60e. If you go auto, I would suggest staying with the same trans that came with the truck since the computer is already set up for that. Not sure about the 4WD transfer case issue since I went manual.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS conversion...engine & trans opinions?