Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Question for all you Z-71 owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 08:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question for all you Z-71 owners

just bought a 00 Z-71 to drive daily and tow my soon to be race car. it is suposed to have come with 4.10's and a locker option in the rear. is it normal to hear the locker engage and disengage when you start and stop. i drove a few and all have a little more noise that the 2wd's starting and stoping. drives fine and everything works in 4wd. no gear noise. is this normal for the new Z-71's with that option.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the trucks come with a g80 and i believe it is a limited slip. it does not make any noise. I can tell you that i believe you have the well known drive shaft clunk. you can grease it and it should go away but will come back.

The truck does not have a truc locker unless it is aftermarket. I am guessing and judging by what you said it is happanind when leaving a stop and comming to almost a complete stop. A locker clunks every time you get on and off the gas. there is some more info on this and i belive to solve the problme compleetly not temporarly you have to change the yock or something.

Post any more ?? you have in the truck section we have a very knowledgable group of guys.
Ryan
Old 12-16-2003, 08:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleepersilverado
the trucks come with a g80 and i believe it is a limited slip. it does not make any noise. I can tell you that i believe you have the well known drive shaft clunk. you can grease it and it should go away but will come back.

The truck does not have a truc locker unless it is aftermarket. I am guessing and judging by what you said it is happanind when leaving a stop and comming to almost a complete stop. A locker clunks every time you get on and off the gas. there is some more info on this and i belive to solve the problme compleetly not temporarly you have to change the yock or something.

Post any more ?? you have in the truck section we have a very knowledgable group of guys.
Ryan
yea the limited slip is standard but there is a locker option. so i was just trying to see if anyone else had this option on there z
Old 12-16-2003, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting but like i said if it is not htat there has been a lot of people having drive shaft clunck. like i said post this in the truck section. i personaly dont have a z but thought i would try and help.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sleepersilverado is right, there is a hugh problem with drive line cluck with 4WDs. it is due to the slip yoke being lubercated with transfer case fluid and not ATF. we have tried many things at the dealer to try to fix this (lubercating with special lube, changeing transfer case fluid to a different type, pluging hole at end of yoke, and even replaceing the yoke with a better desing). no matter what we did more then 50% came back with same problem. finally GM came up with the perfect fix, they put a bullition out that called this normal driveline noise. so bacically, your screwed. also, there is a true locker avalibale as an option. they work awsome but if you floor when stuck they will automaticly disengage to prevent breakage.