Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-body insight

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-body insight

Well, my swap is almost complete but my brother is looking to drop a 5.3L in his 1980 Monte Carlo, so I was looking for some insight and answers. I've lurked through the G-Body thread and did some other searching but haven't quite found what I was looking for. His Monte Carlo came with the 3.8 v6 and I'm wondering what diff would be in his car and what upgrades you guys would recommend. Also, does anyone make a swap kit for the G-body's or will I be looking at peicing something together. I'm assuming that the best tranny to run with this swap would be the 4l60e, is that correct or will his existing tranny work?

Also, I picked up a L33 for my swap, but he doesn't really need to worry about the weight savings. Is there any years of the 5.3 that we should avoid?

Thanks for any info.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:14 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

He is going to have the 7.5" diff in his car. No idea what gear ratio he has or if its a posi you would have to check the RPO tag, but 2 series gears were popular in those years. I would say you will probably end up piecing a swap kit together. You can use a 4l60e behind it. To use his stock transmission you will probably need a BOP to chevy adapter plate(IIRC thats too old for a 2004r, so it would either have a th200, th350 which would only have a BOP bolt pattern).
Old 12-22-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, thanks. I think we'll probably mate it up with a 4l60e, seems easier and more reliable. Does anyone have any engine and tranny mounts they could recommend? Also, is the general conclusion that you must switch over to F-body accessories and intake or will the truck components work? Are there any fittment issues when it comes to headers?
Old 12-22-2009, 09:47 AM

I was able to keep the truck intake and accys, but I have custom mounts that put the engine as far back and low as possible. I have heard that pacesetters are pretty close to clearing but there is at least 1 tube that needs to be massaged.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Alright, that's good info to know.

I'm not sure if I'm up to making custom engine mounts again, but just for kicks can you let me know what parts you used to build yours?

Also, I think I may have sourced a 5.3L from a 03 Tahoe for him, but what would be the easiest 4l60e to use with this swap? Should I just pick up a 4l60e from a Tahoe or Silverado, or will it be more benefical to source one from an F-Body. From what I understand they have different output shafts or something.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Custom engine mounts are super easy but it takes a bit of skill and patience to get them right the first time. I use some plate with holes in it to use as adapters for the Gen III engine to a 1967 Camaro rubber or poly mount. Then I use round tube as a cross bar for the bolt and depending on the frame and what I have laying about some more bar stock or tube as stands for height. There are other ways to do this but this was simple and worked for the frame I had to work with.

Just make sure it is a 2WD trans that came behind a Gen III engine. It doesn't have to be a car tranny, I have a 2WD truck trans in my car, same thing but doesn't have the torque arm mount. Easiest way to determine if it is a newer 4L60E is it will say 4L60E and M30 on the case and it will have PWM on the front pump.

HTH

Last edited by gofastwclass; 12-23-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Body
He is going to have the 7.5" diff in his car. No idea what gear ratio he has or if its a posi you would have to check the RPO tag, but 2 series gears were popular in those years. I would say you will probably end up piecing a swap kit together. You can use a 4l60e behind it. To use his stock transmission you will probably need a BOP to chevy adapter plate(IIRC thats too old for a 2004r, so it would either have a th200, th350 which would only have a BOP bolt pattern).
Why would his Chevy Monte Carlo have a BOP trans? Shouldnt it have a Chevy bolt pattern trans?
Should you decide to use the 4l60e theres a xmember made for the g-bodys using 4l60e's. Considering its a v6 car you'll have to move the frame pads to the v8 position and then choose your poison for adapter brackets. The cts-v pan works best with the stock v8 mount setup. Headers are available from hoggers to long tubes. The stock 5.3 intake may be a tight fit under a stock MC hood considering its height. Get yourself a gas tank from a GN or 4.3 tbi MC along with the sending unit and a ac delco ep 241 fuel pump, run a short return line back to the sender and use a Corvette fpr. This should get you started and well on the way. You can also check the Maliburacing.com website and there are quite a few complete gbody lsx swap threads on there along with part numbers and shortcuts.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by deuce4935
Why would his Chevy Monte Carlo have a BOP trans? Shouldnt it have a Chevy bolt pattern trans?
If the tranny is a 200-4R from a Monte Carlo SS it will have a BOP and Chevy pattern(universal). They were all built that way from 85-88.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by deuce4935
I forgot about the 229 chevy 3.8L v6. so it could have a chevy bolt pattern trans. It would have had a th200 trans (200r4 didn`t come out till 81) and the th200 was either a chevy or BOP bolt pattern, not dual like the 200r4. When I saw 3.8L I immediately assumed buick motor because that was so much more common than the 229 chevy that was only made for a couple of years.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gjohnson
what upgrades you guys would recommend.
Get an 8.5 Posi from an LC2 Turbo Regal or Grand National - bolts right in. 3.42 gears were stock. G80 Posi was optional.

Quick Reply: G-body insight