Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

missfires and nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Default missfires and nitrous

what would happen if a car missfires while using nitrous? the reason i ask is i have a slight innermittent miss that i just cant seem to find. i really want a 150 shot and dont want to find out the hard way. i am trying to fix the miss but iv replaced every part of the ignition system and alot of others.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ElkySS
what would happen if a car missfires while using nitrous? the reason i ask is i have a slight innermittent miss that i just cant seem to find. i really want a 150 shot and dont want to find out the hard way. i am trying to fix the miss but iv replaced every part of the ignition system and alot of others.
Everything is amplified on forced induction. Think about the additional content you're pushing into each cylinder. Not having it fire and or firing at inopportune times is asking for trouble. Fix your miss than spray it.

Nick
Old 12-22-2009, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

well im planning on fixing it first. i just want to know what happens if it comes back while on the bottle
Old 12-22-2009, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

check the spark plug wiring
Old 12-23-2009, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

I completely agree with Nick@HSW.

If you have a missfire before adding spray, you are simply going to amplify it and possibly hurt much more if you try to spray on top of it. You are increasing the cylinder pressures much higher than NA, you want everything in tip top shape before you add the nitrous variable into the mix.

Even when the car is running correctly, you can still have an issue. I had a missfire when I was spraying a 125 on my '94 Z28 and it ended up making a 'self aligning' rocker, un-align itself.

Moral of the story: Definitely get your stuff double checked and buttoned up before spraying. Trust me.

Last edited by WhyHelloOfficer; 12-25-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

mine missed on a 200 and bent a valve after a gigantic nitrous backfire...
Old 12-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Teching In

hey man def get that miss fixed first,ive been turning wrenches for 15 years which is nothing compared to some guys on here but for a little advice there are probably a million ways to make a car miss, if u have replaced alot of your major components start looking for the little things, start checking your powers and grounds at the pcm before you replace anything else, you could have an intermittent short to ground on one of ur injector circuits.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:27 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
I completely agree with Nick@HSW.

If you have a missfire before adding spray, you are simply going to amplify it and possibly hurt much more if you try to spray on top of it. You are increasing the cylinder pressures much higher than NA, you want everything in tip top shape before you add the nitrous variable into the mix.

Even when the car is running correctly, you can still have an issue. I had a missfire when I was spraying a 125 on my '94 Z28 and it ended up making a 'self aligning' rocker, un-align itself.

Moral of the story: Definitely get your stuff double checked and buttoned up before spraying. Trust me.

Lucky that's all that happened.

Nick