Sponsored by:

Rod journal diameter for max effort nitrous motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 05:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rod journal diameter for max effort nitrous motor

Hey gang,
I am thinking about fielding a max effort nitrous combo towards the end of 2010 in a local 275 radial class. I have been away from Nitrous combos for 10-12 years (took a 7 yr break from racing in general, and have worked on a couple of blower/turbo combos since then). All my nitrous experience is with Big Blocks too. My question is does anyone bother with smaller rod journal sizes like you would with a naturally aspirated motor? Combo will be a standard deck 427-434 with a 4" crank, single 4brl, cast intake, single spray bar plate setup. I wasn't sure if the minor gain in friction loss outweighed the ability to withstand the load that the nitrous kit will put on the crank.

Thanks
Jason
Old 12-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think going to the smaller journal will be any advantage, there's a strength loss when doing that, and that would seem like something to be concerned with more then the frictional losses.

The single spray bar plate, any reason why you're going that route rather then something like a diffuser?
Old 12-22-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I don't think going to the smaller journal will be any advantage, there's a strength loss when doing that, and that would seem like something to be concerned with more then the frictional losses.

The single spray bar plate, any reason why you're going that route rather then something like a diffuser?
Rules restriction mainly, it calls for single 4brl, cast intake and single spray bar. I figured I would be better off looking for power elsewhere, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving anything on the table. I am going to run the 6.50 index class this year to get some more seat time and hopefully step up next year to the Real Street class if the rules stabilize here in Florida. The car I am running today has a stock cube LS2 with a procharger. I am weighing my options of putting an ERL/RED type sleeve or just buying the new style LSX block. It looks like the car will need to weigh 3200-3300 anyway so I don't have much to gain with the aluminum block, other than reusing some existing gear.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by 96 Comp T/A
Rules restriction mainly, it calls for single 4brl, cast intake and single spray bar. I figured I would be better off looking for power elsewhere, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't leaving anything on the table. I am going to run the 6.50 index class this year to get some more seat time and hopefully step up next year to the Real Street class if the rules stabilize here in Florida. The car I am running today has a stock cube LS2 with a procharger. I am weighing my options of putting an ERL/RED type sleeve or just buying the new style LSX block. It looks like the car will need to weigh 3200-3300 anyway so I don't have much to gain with the aluminum block, other than reusing some existing gear.
make sense on your choice. I'm a little surprised about the spray bar though, I woudl figure they would tell you a single X jet size with a 2 solenoid limit, basicially making you run a plate, that usually covers it.

6.50 with what you want to do should be pretty easy. Hell my 3350 lb sled did that with a 100 shot in 100 degree weather with a single 63 jet, so you should have no problems at all.

I'd sleeve that alum block personally, the cost of doing that and a 6 bolt conversion isn't gonna be anymore then the machine work and the lsx block, and you'll be 100 lbs lighter, or at least have the ability to move it around where you want it rather then it being in the block with no choice in the matter.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
6.50 with what you want to do should be pretty easy.
6.50, I have covered all day long with the current combo, No telling what it will take when I move up to Real Street, probably 5-ohs to run up front.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Race your car!

I figured you did.

Yeah it's gonna probably take bottom bottom 5's to be competitive in that class. Doable with nitrous, but not gonna be easy. You don't have those rules you posted with that class do you? If so good luck.. you're gonna need it if you want to try to get an lsx to go that fast with those rules that's for sure.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

The rules that looks like they are gaining traction are: http://www.unitedoutlawracing.com/in...d=92&Itemid=99

Right now it's up in the air, the local class is a little more limited right now, by jet size and cylinder head combination, but there is an artifical floor to how fast you can go, which I think is kind of lame, go too fast and they keep slapping weight on you or jet restriction. I am not about penalizing people for hardwork, and it is supposed to be a heads up class. There is a power struggle going on between some members of the class who want a set of stable consistent rules, and the class founders who want to artificially control the pace of the class. Here are the current rules:
http://mafia-motorsports.com/forums/...010_rules.html
Old 12-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Race your car!

Both those sets of rules seem o.k. to me I'd be fine running at 3100 lbs with an .082 jet That would put me to a bottom 9 second range. Only thing I'm not 100% clear on is what is allowed for a plate... it sounds like a single spray bar, but does a diffuser plate fall into that catagory?

If that place is o.k., I'd get one of cary's intakes, throw that plate on it and let it eat, see what it can do.