Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight Flexplate

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lightweight Flexplate

I am interested in getting a lightweight flexplate; something with a low moment of inertia. Where can I buy one that is lighter than the OEM unit? Please don't give me advice geared towards drag racing. I don't drag race, and am making the best of it, until I get my Jerico 5 speed that I want. I hate to have to make a flexplate, but am up to it if I have to. I looked at the TCI and Yanks, but they are heavier. So the info and tips are much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The newer design (01+) flexplates might be a bit lighter than the older ones, but I only say that because they are prone to BREAKING. Quite honestly a flexplate can only be made so light, it has a pretty tough job to do. If you're really concerned with saving a few OUNCES (they don't weigh much to begin with, that's about all you'll save) go with a different converter. I know you don't drag race but they can save 15 or more POUNDS over stock.

Sure you can make it a little thinner, but then you have to worry about the flexplate, uh, "flexing" too much and the converter walking in and out of the trans. Hello pump failure. And centrifigual force? Goodbye kneecaps!

Have you considered an ASP crank pully or anything else to cut rotating weight? IS your car a 3.23 car or 2.73? If it's a 2.73 car you can swap in an aluminum driveshaft from a 3.23 car and save a few lbs. I think saving a few ounces in the flexplate is the WRONG place to start, but that's just my opinion. The benefits will in no way justify the expense, aggrivation, and risk.

I know this probably isn't the answer you're looking for but this is just my honest opinion. If there IS a company out there making such things I'd be very surprised, and very cautious. Most of the automatics you find in racing are drag cars, so not surprisingly that's what kind of performance automatic parts you will find for them.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Default Moments of inertia

Check out www.reactorproducts.com i believe that they are approx 4 lbs .
Hope this helps
Old 12-17-2003, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest getting a SFI flexplate from one of our sponsors.

Take it from someone that's had a flexplate fail.. it's not worth it to skimp here.

The 98-99 Flexplates are plenty light and strong.. But the late 00 and up GM "lightweight" flexplates are worthless IMO. When they break, they can create a TON of damage (as I to well know).

If your looking for lightweight.. go with a smaller converter. The smaller and lighter converters will give the "gain" your looking for without compromizing safety.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:25 AM

My car is a factory 1LE, so it has the aluminum driveshaft and 3.23 rear gears, and the rest of that neat stuff. I think you guys have a point on the flexplate being lightened so much. You've got me thinking on the converter. I am looking for a smaller converter (furnace brazed fins and all) that has a stock stall speed. What's a good model to go with. I haven't heard alot of good things as far as quality goes, about the big names. So please point me in a good direction on who to go with in a converter.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know what Wilwaxu means. I had a stock 01 flywheel fail and luckily it was the only thing destroyed. Well a few milli inches of starter teeth too. When I got a TCI SSF 3500, I replaced it (Another stock) with a TCI one.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sawedoff
My car is a factory 1LE, so it has the aluminum driveshaft and 3.23 rear gears, and the rest of that neat stuff. I think you guys have a point on the flexplate being lightened so much. You've got me thinking on the converter. I am looking for a smaller converter (furnace brazed fins and all) that has a stock stall speed. What's a good model to go with. I haven't heard alot of good things as far as quality goes, about the big names. So please point me in a good direction on who to go with in a converter.
99 1LE automatic? hmm..

A aftermarket converter is the single most bang for buck mod you can do to an LS1 car!

You should look at one with at least a 3500 stall rating.

IMO: If your looking to go fast in a straight line, there is nothing better than a Yank TP-4400.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're looking for something custom in a torque converter, give Yank a call. He does custom stalls all the time. I'm sure he can make you something close to stock "feel" in a slightly smaller and lighter converter.

Might I ask, why a Jerrico? They're great transmissions, but what are your demands that a T5/6 won't meet? Sure the T56 isn't the STRONGEST trans out there, but you're not asking it to survive 6,000rpm clutch dumps on slicks either. Is it just better shifting in the Jerrico?
Old 12-17-2003, 04:40 PM
FormerVendor

Sawedoff,
We can save you nearly 20 lbs of rotating weight with the proper torque converter and give you something with just a little stall over stock. You can give me a call either Thursday or Friday at (662)224-9355.
Kevin
Old 12-17-2003, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pete2k_Z28
If you're looking for something custom in a torque converter, give Yank a call. He does custom stalls all the time. I'm sure he can make you something close to stock "feel" in a slightly smaller and lighter converter.

Might I ask, why a Jerrico? They're great transmissions, but what are your demands that a T5/6 won't meet? Sure the T56 isn't the STRONGEST trans out there, but you're not asking it to survive 6,000rpm clutch dumps on slicks either. Is it just better shifting in the Jerrico?
Pete, because I am getting into road racing track events. I like the fact that I can get it with a magnesium case, and because it's a race designed gearbox, I don't have to put up with any compromises.It is a 5 speed, and I really don't need a 6 speed which is designed to skirt on the fuel economy issue. The Jerico is also alot lighter than the T56. Plus, because it will be driven on the street to, I have the 4 speed with the one overdrive. I can also pick and choose my gearing inside the box with different ratios. For my own amusement, I also like the "exotica" that would come with it. That's kinda' where I'm coming from. My car is a 1LE, and I would like to keep to the spirit of the car. I haven't the slightest clue why they put a 4L60E in the 1LE package. My car was only one of 3 cars in Arctic White that had it. The dealer that had it couldn't sell it because it wasn't loaded down. He had the engine blueprinted and the tires shaved so he could use it as a pace car. He kept it off the lot behind the bodyshop. So the Jerico would be more application specific to what I intend to do with the car.

Last edited by sawedoff; 12-17-2003 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2003, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Winstead
Sawedoff,
We can save you nearly 20 lbs of rotating weight with the proper torque converter and give you something with just a little stall over stock. You can give me a call either Thursday or Friday at (662)224-9355.
Kevin
Kevin, I'm liking the sound of this. I'm serious here.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not doubting the car is a 1LE Auto.. it's just a very rare bird...
Old 12-17-2003, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Not doubting the car is a 1LE Auto.. it's just a very rare bird...
No,I didn't even take it as such. You guys are a tremendous help here.

Quick Reply: Lightweight Flexplate