Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compression Fittings

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Compression Fittings

I was wondering if you guys use compression fittings on your fuel lines? I'm thinking about getting some 3/8" compression fittings to join about 6" of double bead fuel line with the stock LS1 fuel line attachment point to each end of the stock line in my 76 camaro.

Then I can clip on some nylon fuel line like the LT1 and LS1 engines at the fuel rail and fuel pump.

I can use either the straight style fitting or the style that used a 45 or 37 degree flared fittingl in the line and a threaded cap.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#compression...ttings/=5273q9

Will this hold up to the fuel pressure?
Old 12-23-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use them. Some guys don't feel comfortable with them, but I have no leaks in all the years I used them.

The only way to get them off after they have been cinched down is to cut the tube. The ferrule piece gets crimped into the tube making them one piece.

Don't use them for brake lines, but for fuel they work perfectly.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

They are reported to be interchangeable w/ Swagelok. The Swag fittings are reportedly stronger than the tube, in most cases.
The Swag fittings are expensive. I wonder how they compare to these??
Old 12-23-2009, 05:16 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1976CamaroGuy
I was wondering if you guys use compression fittings on your fuel lines? I'm thinking about getting some 3/8" compression fittings to join about 6" of double bead fuel line with the stock LS1 fuel line attachment point to each end of the stock line in my 76 camaro.

Then I can clip on some nylon fuel line like the LT1 and LS1 engines at the fuel rail and fuel pump.

I can use either the straight style fitting or the style that used a 45 or 37 degree flared fittingl in the line and a threaded cap.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#compression...ttings/=5273q9

Will this hold up to the fuel pressure?

Personally I prefer a double flare for coupling tranny, fuel, and brake lines. Why don't you check around some of the local shops and see if anybody has the flaring tool to put that bead on the end of you line. I have one, but your a little far for me to do it, unless its a short piece and you could mail it to me to do. My local NAPA does it.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by poconojoe
Personally I prefer a double flare for coupling tranny, fuel, and brake lines. Why don't you check around some of the local shops and see if anybody has the flaring tool to put that bead on the end of you line. I have one, but your a little far for me to do it, unless its a short piece and you could mail it to me to do. My local NAPA does it.
Hey thanks for the suggestion, my local napa is a full machine shop and are the ones who will be modifying my driveshaft. Even if I had to completly remove the line it would be worth taking to them and getting the ends to look like that. Great idea.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just get a AN fitting and braze/weld it on, cheaper and more secure.. My tubing shop does it for around $10 each including labor.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:04 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used both compression fittings and double flared joints in my fuel lines. No problems with either, and either one is sufficient to handle that kinda pressure.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:56 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The nylon fitting in the pic is a dorman fitting, they are nice in that it makes for easy installation\removal in addition to easy routing with the nylon line.. I used a flaring kit and dorman install tool in this thread..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ilter-reg.html

I was going to go a different route when my nieghbor suggested I buy some nylon line and ends as he has used the Dorman kit to repair fuel lines and route new ones several times without issues.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My entire fuel system consists of compression fittings from the sending unit all the way up to the rails. I used Russell fittings and they hold up great; I am very pleased with how they look and the quality.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

work fine for me, cheap and easy

oh I have one on my power steering line too...if they can handle that pressure 60# fuel pressure is cake
Old 12-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Master cool makes a flare tool that will make this style end on the line, no need to piece together if you can just run one line and put the quick connect flares on the ends yourself.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

hi guys does anyone know who could make (or who makes ) a 1/2" quick disconnect to -6an fitting?

info would great!
Old 11-22-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wondering if you guys use compression fittings on your fuel lines?
I used a stainless Swagelok 3/8" tube union and it worked great. My first choice is flaring the tubing and using an AN fitting, but I would use the Swagelok fitting again in a second if flaring would be too much of a pain.

Maybe it's just me, but I tend to stay away from the compression fittings with brass (or copper?) ferrules when using steel tubing. I want the ferrule to be at least as strong as the tube, and brass is obviously weaker than steel.

Swagelok makes really good stuff though. I trust that fitting not to fail and shoot fuel all over my engine.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
I used a stainless Swagelok 3/8" tube union and it worked great. My first choice is flaring the tubing and using an AN fitting, but I would use the Swagelok fitting again in a second if flaring would be too much of a pain.

Maybe it's just me, but I tend to stay away from the compression fittings with brass (or copper?) ferrules when using steel tubing. I want the ferrule to be at least as strong as the tube, and brass is obviously weaker than steel.

Swagelok makes really good stuff though. I trust that fitting not to fail and shoot fuel all over my engine.
My take exactly. I would not feel comfortable using a brass nut and ferrule on steel tubing. I have used Swagelok and Parker-Hannifin SS fittings and do like them, they are quite pricey though...
Old 11-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't you hate it when someone brings back an old thread? 1976CamaroGuy asked his question 3 years ago, hopefully he found a solution by now.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
work fine for me, cheap and easy

oh I have one on my power steering line too...if they can handle that pressure 60# fuel pressure is cake
what particular kind on your power steering line, I'm thinking of doing this myself. .......thx in advance. Opps didn't see how old this was.....thanks and sorry

Last edited by dawgs74; 04-24-2018 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Date
Old 04-26-2018, 05:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's OK man. I've spent some time on route 420 myself.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
That's OK man. I've spent some time on route 420 myself.
that's the route that works for me......and I used a stainless with double ferrule style worked like a charm.....no leaks!!!!! I am a plumber by trade so I am confident in the compression fitting not leaking. ..........holding,now that is what I'm waiting to see!!!.....heading towards the on ramp soon! Lol...

Quick Reply: Compression Fittings