Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Type of Long Tube Headers Should I Get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default What Type of Long Tube Headers Should I Get?

I am wondering what will be the best bang for my buck... been looking at some long tube Pacesetter headers? They seem like there a good price & I have heard their a good choice for Camaros... what do you guys run & suggest. I will just being running long tube headers, slp lid, & Borla exhaust.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:25 PM
...with cheese.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll have better luck with this in Gen III external engine
Old 12-23-2009, 05:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a nice budget friendly header, the Pacesetters are probably the best on the market. They will make similar power to the more expensive mild-steel headers at about half the cost. You can get the painted or ceramic coated. If you are trying to get any kind of life out of them, I would highly recommend the coating. Let me know if you need a set. We have both the styles of headers and both off-road and catted-y pipes on the shelf!

Jon
Old 12-23-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

American Racing their 1 3/4 primaries are good for 600 rwhp and their 1 7/8 can take anything you can throw at them.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Kooks Stainless I'm baised but if not those then get American Racing headers stainless. Just look in the classifieds for those and if you can find those in there then also look for QTP stainless headers.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

i vote for qtp's i have the older model, got them used off the classifieds here with a ory for 300 shipped. ARH and KOOKS are good headers, but at twice the cost. this is where you have to decide if a few more horses are worth twice the money.

if you go with stainless they wont rust. im not knocking the pacesetters but if seen a few sets after a few years and seen rust and holes in them...
Old 12-23-2009, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
For a nice budget friendly header, the Pacesetters are probably the best on the market. They will make similar power to the more expensive mild-steel headers at about half the cost. You can get the painted or ceramic coated. If you are trying to get any kind of life out of them, I would highly recommend the coating. Let me know if you need a set. We have both the styles of headers and both off-road and catted-y pipes on the shelf!

Jon
I think you meant to say stainless steel.

To the original poster. Pacesetters as already mentioned are a good bang for your buck. I've had them and the fitment and quality of construction is good. With that said, I sold them and my new set will be stainless steel.

Depending on how picky you are, and how long you plan to keep the car, as well as what your budget is, will pretty much make the decision for you.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Check out EDELBROCKS.......Good price and made in the U.S.A. ....3 years and still my coated ones look great..........1-3/4" stepped to 1-7/8"....this company has been around for over 60 years.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

tsp 1 7/8. no complaints and are best bang for buck in my opinion
Old 12-24-2009, 02:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys! for the input.... I was just leaning towards the the Pacesetter headers because there a good bang for your buck. I have seen $360-400 price range. not really looking to pay $750-1,000 right now. not really worth it since my car wont be having a cam or heads in it until a while.

I was looking at Kooks or QTP but those are $$$$ I was doing some searching on the internet & found some Pacesetter long tubes for $360-370. but was wondering should I get "race" or "AIR/EGR"
Old 12-24-2009, 03:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

edelbrock stepped headers 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 with a 3 1/2 collecter theres a sale on here......there nice i got a little ding on driver side collecter thou..they look better then the pacesetters ....post also has links to y pipe..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...out-sales.html
Old 12-24-2009, 05:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allan808
edelbrock stepped headers 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 with a 3 1/2 collecter theres a sale on here......there nice i got a little ding on driver side collecter thou..they look better then the pacesetters ....post also has links to y pipe..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...out-sales.html
hmmmm anyone how they compare to Pacesetter???

I am def going to be getting the ceramic coated
Old 12-24-2009, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have LPP, stainless with there catted Y pipe, $800 shipped.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:34 AM
12 Second Club

If you live in an area where there's a sniffer test or strict emissions visual check then go with air/egr. Otherwise, go with the race version. You'll need to get the SES light programmed out but driving with air/egr removed doesn't affect the car at all. I went with the "race" version and ORY pipe and I love it.

Pacesetter's Y-pipe is not the best as the two pipes meet at a 90 degree bend. You may want to get a flowmaster merge and have it welded in before you do the headers, it would severely cut down on rasp and drone if you don't have cats. If you do have cats, then it's not bad. Also, this is all if you have an SLP style exhaust, if you have a regular catback or true duals it's not as bad.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:57 AM
11 Second Club

on a budget I would opt for edelbrock's stepped headers or tsp 1 7/8". i honestly wouldn't even bother with the pacesetters... 1 3/4" FTL imho.

side note: please don't turn that last comment into the infamous 1 3/4 vs 1 7/8 arguement... it is my opinion. Not trying to say one is better than the other.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gatsby
If you live in an area where there's a sniffer test or strict emissions visual check then go with air/egr. Otherwise, go with the race version. You'll need to get the SES light programmed out but driving with air/egr removed doesn't affect the car at all. I went with the "race" version and ORY pipe and I love it.

Pacesetter's Y-pipe is not the best as the two pipes meet at a 90 degree bend. You may want to get a flowmaster merge and have it welded in before you do the headers, it would severely cut down on rasp and drone if you don't have cats. If you do have cats, then it's not bad. Also, this is all if you have an SLP style exhaust, if you have a regular catback or true duals it's not as bad.
thanks man appreciate the info...

Originally Posted by danhr
on a budget I would opt for edelbrock's stepped headers or tsp 1 7/8". i honestly wouldn't even bother with the pacesetters... 1 3/4" FTL imho.

side note: please don't turn that last comment into the infamous 1 3/4 vs 1 7/8 arguement... it is my opinion. Not trying to say one is better than the other.
haha do I dare ask why? & is there really a difference...
Old 12-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Ive got Pacesetter lt's have had them for over a year & no rust. Great sounding w/ ory & hooker exhaust.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got SLP's old style tuned LT's. I know everyone hates them due to ground clearance, but I went from 331hp/338tq (tune, catback, lid, other stuff) to 364hp/369tq by just adding them. I don't know if thats normal for headers, but that's a lot to me. But like I said, ground clearance is bad. Easy install though. I did mine in like 5 hours.