Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time installing nitrous......NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default First time installing nitrous......NEED HELP!

Ok my car is the one in my sig, and I have a 78mm wet plate kit from HSW. Have the Interface and Microege as well.

Now I have a few questions because electrical isnt my best department.

#1- Where is the best place to run a 12v switched source? Have to find one for the microedge and toggle switch but not sure where.

#2- On the microedge I have to splice into the TPS/WOT switch, is that the dark blue wire coming from the TPS sensor? And would I just splice into that?

#3- Where is the place place to find the tach signal? PCM? Crank Posistion sensor? Fuel Injector?

And also if anyone has the HSW solenoids, it shows blue/red wires in the intstructions coming off the solenoids, but they are ALL dark grey wires? which is which?

Sorry about all the questions guys, just wanna make sure Im doing everything correctly. Any input would be appreciated and also if you have any PICS that would be a PLUS!! thanks
Old 12-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Pink wires in an f body are generally a switched power source, there's a couple in the center console that I usually use. I do believe the blue wire is the wire you need to tap into for the wot switch, you can tap into that anywhere. There's a wire coming from the pcm that will work for a tack signal, I don't recall which one off the top of my head though. The solenoids, they are not polarity sensative. You can run either wire to ground and either one to power and they will work, at least Nos ones are that way, I'm sure they all are.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smile

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm doing it on a C5 so there are some differences. I got the wet plate kit and am just starting to do the install in small bits at a time. ( so far I have mounted the bottle in the trunk of the C5 ). I need to install the bottle heater, switch plate panel, purge, FPSS, and microedge, & a timing tuner along with all else. HSW has a tech help line (service ticket) via e mail which is very helpful. You can also open up install diagrams & instuctions on the help page. I have been reading & studying the install process and would like to get it right in my head before I totally jump into this project. I only want to do this once & right on this vehicle.
Good Luck
Old 12-25-2009, 12:16 AM
11 Second Club

Well I got most of the wiring done. Still a few others to get, any 12v switched sources that are in under hood of car?
Old 12-25-2009, 11:35 PM
9 Second Club

I just used the fuse box and ran my nos mini controler out of the glove box. Im not aware of any under the hood im sure there are.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

i have a dumb question, do you have a test light?
Old 12-26-2009, 12:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dnkynrbk
I just used the fuse box and ran my nos mini controler out of the glove box. Im not aware of any under the hood im sure there are.
Yeah I have my Microedge in the glove box, and my Interface on the side of the strut tower in the engine bay
Originally Posted by imola740i
i have a dumb question, do you have a test light?
No but kinda wish I did. Probably would make it easier just to turn the ignition on and find what wire is a good 12v source.

Its just the green wire off the microedge is a 12v switched and I might splice that into the orange wire of the cigarette lighter. Also the purge will splice into it as well
Old 12-26-2009, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tnmotown
Yeah I have my Microedge in the glove box, and my Interface on the side of the strut tower in the engine bay

No but kinda wish I did. Probably would make it easier just to turn the ignition on and find what wire is a good 12v source.

Its just the green wire off the microedge is a 12v switched and I might splice that into the orange wire of the cigarette lighter. Also the purge will splice into it as well
I think your cigarette lighter is a continuose power source. It will always be on after you take the key out. You need a switched power source that will shut down after the key is off. Yea get a test light , they only cost about 2-3bucks and I think the yellow wire is your switched pwr source.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Pink wires are the switched power source. This I'm 100% sure of on 4th gen cars.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the tach signal, there is a white wire that can be used comming from the PCM in the main harness. Dont know the pin number off the top of my head.

The fuel injectors use a switched on 12V source... (pink wires)
Old 12-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Teching In

why dont u go straight for the ign switch itself,last few kits ive installed have been off the power from the ign switch,and yes the dark blue wire is your signal wire,just splice into it and wrap ur wire back into the harness for the sensor,keeps it looking like a nice factory setup.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:03 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys for all your help!

I got the tach signal off the white wire coming from the PCM (pin 24 or something)

Also bought a test light and found a pink wire coming off the main harness and spliced into that

Everything looks good so far (I hope!) Got the microedge to power up and just gotta program the interface/microedge. Also finish up the triggering wires for the switch panel and should be on my way!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:26 PM
FormerVendor

Looks like you're on the right track...follow the pin out list in the instructions for your sources on rpm and tps. Its pretty straight forward.

JL is right, pink is your switched source, for most of the accessories...if you're not using it for a high amp draw the factory harness will probably be okay. If you will be pulling a high amp draw, use a fuse tap that plugs into your factory fuse panel. I think Buss makes one that's available at most auto parts stores. If you still have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Nick

Quick Reply: First time installing nitrous......NEED HELP!