General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

power antenna question.........

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default power antenna question.........

Some little bastards in my friends neighborhood broke my antenna mast off. For about a year now the motor would run, but the antenna stayed extended all the way up.

The motor still runs when I turn my radio off and on.

Can I just buy a new mast?

Do I have to remove the motor to install the new mast?

What mast do I get? I see some on ebay but don't know which to get.

Whats the clear hose thats attached to the bottom of the motor that runs into the quarter panel????

Thanks.

Last edited by LS6427; 12-24-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:06 AM
Banned

Nobody has changed a ******* antenna...............

Happy Holidays......

Old 12-25-2009, 03:19 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Some little bastards in my friends neighborhood broke my antenna mast off. For about a year now the motor would run, but the antenna stayed extended all the way up.

The motor still runs when I turn my radio off and on.

Can I just buy a new mast?

Do I have to remove the motor to install the new mast?

What mast do I get? I see some on ebay but don't know which to get.

Whats the clear hose thats attached to the bottom of the motor that runs into the quarter panel????

Thanks.

Don't know about the mast replacement-check gmpartsdirect.com if it's available as a separate piece. As for the tube, that's a drain tube to wisk the any water away...
Old 12-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by myk
Don't know about the mast replacement-check gmpartsdirect.com if it's available as a separate piece. As for the tube, that's a drain tube to wisk the any water away...
Thanks.

I saw on ebay a couple people selling brand new AC Delco masts that have the long wire coming out of it that winds in and out of the motor, so I figured they could be replaced by themselves.

I'll check into it.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:08 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Thanks.

I saw on ebay a couple people selling brand new AC Delco masts that have the long wire coming out of it that winds in and out of the motor, so I figured they could be replaced by themselves.

I'll check into it.

You know what though, screw antennas. I want to look into something mast-less. I mean, newer cars have them so why can't we?
Old 12-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by myk
You know what though, screw antennas. I want to look into something mast-less. I mean, newer cars have them so why can't we?
You know...mine was broken where there was only about 6 inches left sticking up....and my stereo reception has not changed at all, its the same. So maybe there is no reason to have one sticking up.

I'll snip the rest of it off and see if having nothing sticking up affects it. If it doesn't I'll just leave the motor unplugged and forget about it.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a plastic gear type piece that goes down into the motor. it's kind of like one of those old ripcord cars from the 70s/80s that you'd put the cord into and then pull it out and the wheel would spin and the car would go into a wall/car/etc and pieces would fly off.

the antenna mast kit comes with the antenna and the gear attached and the tool to remove the trim piece on the top of the antenna so you can get the old mast out. You can pretty much then pull the old mast out. to get the new mast in you have to kind of force the mast's gear down into the motor while the radio is on and then shut the radio off and it should catch and pull the mast down into the motor. you do not need to remove the motor to put in a new mast, only the little trim piece around the mast has to come out. if that plastic gear is broken down at the bottom (ie if you take out the old mast and extend it and place it by the new one and the new one has a longer gear at the bottom) you most likely will not have a fully functioning antenna. here is a pic of my car with a new antenna mast in the factory antenna and as you can see in the down position it doesn't fully lower. it goes all the way up but it stops in that position at the bottom because the old antenna masts gear is down in the bottom of the motor still. I replaced the mast from gmpartsdirect for ~ $30 about 5 and a half years ago when i first bought my car.

sometimes it sits a little bit higher like in the pic below which was taken a month or so after the first pic.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
It's a plastic gear type piece that goes down into the motor. it's kind of like one of those old ripcord cars from the 70s/80s that you'd put the cord into and then pull it out and the wheel would spin and the car would go into a wall/car/etc and pieces would fly off.

the antenna mast kit comes with the antenna and the gear attached and the tool to remove the trim piece on the top of the antenna so you can get the old mast out. You can pretty much then pull the old mast out. to get the new mast in you have to kind of force the mast's gear down into the motor while the radio is on and then shut the radio off and it should catch and pull the mast down into the motor. you do not need to remove the motor to put in a new mast, only the little trim piece around the mast has to come out. if that plastic gear is broken down at the bottom (ie if you take out the old mast and extend it and place it by the new one and the new one has a longer gear at the bottom) you most likely will not have a fully functioning antenna. here is a pic of my car with a new antenna mast in the factory antenna and as you can see in the down position it doesn't fully lower. it goes all the way up but it stops in that position at the bottom because the old antenna masts gear is down in the bottom of the motor still. I replaced the mast from gmpartsdirect for ~ $30 about 5 and a half years ago when i first bought my car.

sometimes it sits a little bit higher like in the pic below which was taken a month or so after the first pic.

Alright, thanks for that.

When I pull upward on the remaining antenna, it doesn't budge. I also spun that small nut that screws into the bottom of the attenna mount in the quarter panel. That just allowed me to drop the antenna down into the quarter panel on the inside. But the antenna gear would not pull out of the motor. How can I get it to come out. Should I have someone turn the radio on and let it run while pulling on it?

BTW, my motor runs both ways when I turn the radio on/off, but the antenna doesn't move at all.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright, thanks for that.

When I pull upward on the remaining antenna, it doesn't budge. I also spun that small nut that screws into the bottom of the attenna mount in the quarter panel. That just allowed me to drop the antenna down into the quarter panel on the inside. But the antenna gear would not pull out of the motor. How can I get it to come out. Should I have someone turn the radio on and let it run while pulling on it?

BTW, my motor runs both ways when I turn the radio on/off, but the antenna doesn't move at all.

um. do you mean inside the quarter panel? i didn't have to do anything with that. i'm actually referring to the little trim piece that surrounds the antenna on the outside of the quarter panel. you might want to try to have someone run the motor while you pull up on the mast after you remove that cover. IIRC it used a special J shaped tool with 2 flathead style ends that went in 2 of the holes. i suppose it could be replicated by using 2 flathead screwdrivers. the tool came with the antenna mast kit.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
um. do you mean inside the quarter panel? i didn't have to do anything with that. i'm actually referring to the little trim piece that surrounds the antenna on the outside of the quarter panel. you might want to try to have someone run the motor while you pull up on the mast after you remove that cover. IIRC it used a special J shaped tool with 2 flathead style ends that went in 2 of the holes. i suppose it could be replicated by using 2 flathead screwdrivers. the tool came with the antenna mast kit.
There's a little nut at the bottom of the antenna on the outside that is part of that black exterior mount on the outside of the quarter panel...a cresent wrench works perfect to screw it off. Then the antenna will drop straight down through the hole into the quarter panel if I take the one screw out that holds the motor in place.

I'll have to try to run the motor while pulling on it. If the motor is just spinning though, I hope the gear in the motor isn't the stripped part. Then a new gear string won't do much, right? Or is it the gear string that always get stripped?

Old 12-26-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never had one of these suckers apart, but usually one of the contacting materials is softer than the other, and that's the one that always gives first. If you can buy a kit with the gear string part, that's most likely the culprit.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by eseibel67
I've never had one of these suckers apart, but usually one of the contacting materials is softer than the other, and that's the one that always gives first. If you can buy a kit with the gear string part, that's most likely the culprit.
The ones I've seen on ebay come with a new antenna and the gear string attached...thats it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33639

Old 12-26-2009, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's probably what you need to get it going, but I would open it up first to confirm.

Worth the fix for $22.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by eseibel67
That's probably what you need to get it going, but I would open it up first to confirm.

Worth the fix for $22.
Open what up?

Old 12-26-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Open the motor/gear/case/whatever to see what's damaged (besides the obvious part that the kid ripped off).

You can live with the hole duct-taped shut for a couple of days until you get your parts.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did mine, any auto parts store has t5he universal replacement mast looks very similiar to the gm unit and functions the same way. I just undid my motor and cycle the key when the motor was pushing the antenna out i just kept pulling till it came out. Then reversed the process for the reinstall.
And to the person who wanted to know if they could go mastless the answer is yes. FM signals are based of antenna length not height so in theory if you have a good location it doesnt have to be high. AM uses ht for a signal which is why newer cars use a booster to gain am frequencies so if you dont use AM mast less is a good way to go.
Dan
Old 12-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

LS6427 - This thread has the GM replacement part for the mast:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...r-antenna.html

To get the mast out, you have to take the nut off the top and then really pull really hard - while the motor is trying to extend! (So, it helps if you have someone else working the radio while you try to pull.) Pretend you are He-Man pulling his sword out of the ground and you'll get it. There is a metal jamming sleeve around the mast that locks it in. You basically have to bend/break that sleeve to get the antenna out. The replacement mast comes with a new sleeve to replace the one you will break to get your old mast out.

1995blacktattop - This thread has the instructions to fix your antenna that won't go all the way back in: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...d-working.html Very easy fix.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by redbird555
I did mine, any auto parts store has t5he universal replacement mast looks very similiar to the gm unit and functions the same way. I just undid my motor and cycle the key when the motor was pushing the antenna out i just kept pulling till it came out. Then reversed the process for the reinstall.
And to the person who wanted to know if they could go mastless the answer is yes. FM signals are based of antenna length not height so in theory if you have a good location it doesnt have to be high. AM uses ht for a signal which is why newer cars use a booster to gain am frequencies so if you dont use AM mast less is a good way to go.
Dan
If mast-less works I'll just do that. Gonna take the remaining piece out today and see how the reception is for FM.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:45 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redbird555
Dan
Ugh. I'm more worried about the AM than the FM-I'm gonna try mast-less though. I found some amplified antennas that I can mount inside the car...
Old 12-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by myk
Ugh. I'm more worried about the AM than the FM-I'm gonna try mast-less though. I found some amplified antennas that I can mount inside the car...
Have you seen this thread? https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...m-antenna.html

Post #22 has info on AM reception on my alternate setup.

Quick Reply: power antenna question.........