View Full Version : Don't plan on driving your new camaro in the snow

94Formula/TA
12-24-2009, 03:20 PM
So the new camaro with pirelli P-Zeros isn't bad in the snow it is absolutely undriveable. I've been literally trapped in my house for the past week because the car can't even back out of the driveway without getting stuck. If you are planning on buying a camaro as a daily driver in a climate that gets snow you NEED to have another car!

Jon5212
12-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Why would it be any different than an F-body? I just had all seasons on mine and I didn't have problems unless you are trying to go through a foot of snow.

94Formula/TA
12-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Yeah if you have the proper tires. That's why I specifically mentioned the P-zeros. There are very few tire options with the size of the wheels on the new car though so I'm not even sure if there is a solution.

HumanNipple
12-24-2009, 04:05 PM
I had P-zeros on my SS and they worked just dandy in light snow. If you got the blizzard that just came thru the eastern area then yeah of coarse the new Camaro won't work. Shit I saw 4x4 trucks getting stuck out there, just use common sense when driving a sports car in iffy weather.

94Formula/TA
12-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Yes I'm referring to the blizzard in the NE. I still cannot drive the car today and there is only a trace of snow left on the ground. I used to drive a fourth gen in the snow provided that I had a 100 pound bag of dirt or two in the hatch but I literally can not get this car out of my driveway without sliding all over the place in such a manner that the thought of driving the car in the snow petrifies me.

HumanNipple
12-24-2009, 04:32 PM
hahah yeah my SS is still in the driveway under at least a foot of snow. So for now my gf's Subaru is great for snow.

ULTIMATEORANGESS
12-24-2009, 08:06 PM
id DD mine but im not very smart lol.

uphigh07
12-24-2009, 09:08 PM
i have drivin my 4 gen with slicks in snow and i make almost 700 to the wheels i dont see what the big deal is use a little comon sense dude

slowscott
12-24-2009, 10:45 PM
They are called summer tires for a reason. Many, if not all summer tires are not even supposed to be used in cold weather let alone snow. There are plenty of safe options available including a cheap set of aftermarket wheels (or maybe factory steels from a v6) combined with either all season or snow tires.

matt427
12-24-2009, 10:52 PM
i have drivin my 4 gen with slicks in snow and i make almost 700 to the wheels i dont see what the big deal is use a little comon sense dude

why in the world would u do that?:confused:

supernova1972
12-24-2009, 11:24 PM

Slicks? BS

dlandsvZ28
12-25-2009, 02:03 AM

:) Common sense is driving an almost 700 to the wheels Camaro in the snow ?

"driven in snow" - The devil is in the details.

Temp,
Wet snow or dry.
Terrain, flat or hilly
Driven once for 1/2 mile or daily
etc. etc. etc.

Nine Ball
12-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Invest in some snow tires and beater wheels.

SRM
12-25-2009, 10:34 AM
I daily drive this car and did the same with my 4th gen. Right now I have Pirelli Scorpion Snow and Ice tires on my stock rims.

blk/slvr02ss
12-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Why would you even think about driving a 5th gen in the snow when you can buy a cheap beater for the snow for what it would cost for snow tires in 20's.

bad_408_vert
12-25-2009, 02:33 PM
I really thought the 5gen would do better since it weigs more.
I was under the impression the weight is better distributed ,hence the car would be more planted and have better traction.

SRM
12-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Why would you even think about driving a 5th gen in the snow when you can buy a cheap beater for the snow for what it would cost for snow tires in 20's.

Yes, I could have bought a beater but do not want another car to maintain. Plus, I purchase my cars to DRIVE them, not to be garage queens.

I could not stand to pack up my camaro for the winter, that would drive me nuts! :)

Pro Stock John
12-28-2009, 11:26 AM
SRM how is your Camaro now with the snow tires?

OP, so a few bags of sand won't get it done? You guys get bad snow once in a while, my family is all from the Absecon/Mays Landing area.

94Formula/TA
12-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Two 100lb bags of dirt wouldn't do the trick. My street is kind of banked in this ^ shape so I couldn't get over the hump without pushing it but it wasn't worth the effort of pushing it out and being able to drive no more than 5-10 mph in the packed snow. Once it rained on friday I was able to get it out and it was fine but a total PITA for an entire week.

Ironxcross
12-28-2009, 04:33 PM
I've driven these cars for almost 4 years in all conditions. We just had 2 ft of snow here and I was out driving that day. Maybe it helps that I'm an M6, idk.

I don't see why there is a thread about this.

01formula6
12-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Buy a cheap set of rims and mount some snow tires. It's a night and day difference and is really the only way to go if you are DD'ing it.

SRM
12-29-2009, 02:55 PM
SRM how is your Camaro now with the snow tires?

Based on my limited experience so far, not as good as the 225 blizzak ws-50's on my 2000 Z28, but no problems getting around.

These tires are more of a performance winter tire than the ws-50s, which were an extreme snow/ice tire.

Also, given that I mounted the Pirelli's on my stock rims, the added width doesn't help with traction as you know.

baalic
12-29-2009, 03:15 PM
I have driven my Z28 in the snow, and had no problems, didn't get stuck and I really only spun when I got on the gas too much, only once did I truly slide a little bit and that was at 65 on the Highway fighting huge patches of ice......

BF Goodrich GForce Super Sport A/S 245/50/zr16

Pro Stock John
12-29-2009, 04:43 PM
My 2006 TBSS is RWD, and rolling on OEM 20 inch tires. I added 250 lbs of sound in the back and it's fine, even with the factory 4.10 gears.

It looks like some 18's fit on the SS's, I'll have to check that out someday.

gectek
12-31-2009, 09:40 AM
I've driven these cars for almost 4 years in all conditions. We just had 2 ft of snow here and I was out driving that day. Maybe it helps that I'm an M6, idk.

MAYBE because this thread and sub forum is about the 2010 Camaro, not the 93-02 catfish. Thanks

If you have drive the 2010 for more tha 4 years, you are 3 years ahead of everyone else.

liqidvenom
12-31-2009, 10:52 AM

i dont know either, ive seen vettes, my car and tons of fbody vehicles all out in the snow. its alot to do with the driver, then the tires and so forth.

liqidvenom
12-31-2009, 10:58 AM
MAYBE because this thread and sub forum is about the 2010 Camaro, not the 93-02 catfish. Thanks

If you have drive the 2010 for more tha 4 years, you are 3 years ahead of everyone else.

this thread is about a vehicle with a v8 and rwd. only difference is the "catfish" has nothing as far as modern tech to aid in driving in bad weather like the 5th gen does. so if someone in a lighter vehicle with the same drivetrain layout is able to make it through the snow, a newer vehicle with more advanced driver aids should be able to do the same.

i just took my car out and i live in jersey and its actually snowing right now. it isnt the easiest but me like many other rwd vehicle owners get where we have to go.

i dont get the catfish thing.

trj20
12-31-2009, 11:15 AM
Having no winter issues with my RS v6 car. I went with an 18 inch wheel and Firestone Winterforce tire. Its a Blizzack equivilent at a reasonable price.
225/60/18 for $92 at the tire rack. Smaller sizes are less expensive but 18's look small on a 2010. Bought a decent looking set of wheels for it and can keep my factory polished wheels out of the winter muck. We have over 13 inches of snow on the ground right now. It gets the job done within reason. I didn't go test the limits during the blizzard.:D

Just my .02 cents

gectek
12-31-2009, 11:34 AM
no this thread is about the 2010 camaro. this whole sub forum is. he is trying to say that the summer tires suck in winter. that is a no brainer. they are seasonal tires for a reason. also he apparently does not know how do drive in the white death.

there is not much the same about the drivetrain from a 4th gen to a 5th gen. sorry.

Pro Stock John
12-31-2009, 12:56 PM
That's cool if you feel that way but the catfish comment does not add to the discussion and can make folks mad... Let's avoid that in the future.

Biggest issue I see with 20" snow tires is how wide they will be to fit on stock rims, wide = not the best in the snow. But the car is not light either.

gectek
12-31-2009, 01:10 PM
well trying to get "beater" rims for the SS package is not a point either, because try fitting the 18s on there with the big brakes.

scottyk246
12-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Yeah, it's definitely not the car. Mostly the tires in my opinion. The 275 Pirelli P-Zero's are not a snow friendly tire. The last couple 4th gens I had would do decent with all season 16's or even 17's, but any time I would try to move around with the 315 Goodyear F1's it was pointless... My car is stuck in my driveway as we speak - VERY slight incline and ice just won't let the car move...

EmersonHart13
12-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Get some snow tires, or get a good winter car. :-)

GothMetalForever
12-31-2009, 03:05 PM
I've, since, purchased a beater 4x4 with un-studded winter tires; But last winter I survived the nasty northern IL snow with some cheap all-season 'fuzion's or w.e they were called on my M6 and common sense kept me on the road the ENTIRE time. Didn't get stuck once... It's not favorable, but it's possible..

scottyk246
12-31-2009, 03:39 PM
Oh I've got a 4x4, the damn dealer made me bring the car in before the end of the year so they could fix the stripes.

Dark SS
12-31-2009, 04:27 PM
18's can be done with brembo's.

gectek
12-31-2009, 04:43 PM
gm stock 18s? for the 2010 ss?

SRM
01-01-2010, 07:39 AM
18's can be done with brembo's.

Possibly not on newer models. It seems the caliper weights have been replaced with some type of "counter" weight:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58624
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57722

z34_nut
01-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Really?

I grew up in New England for 20 years, and it still baffles me that people are spending 20-40k on a new RWD sports car, and expect to drive it year round with out a problem. It also baffles me how people wont shell out 1-2k on a decent FWD eco car. I drove FWD every-winter, and never ever had a problem getting where I needed to go.

I'm just happy to be in CA now with out having to deal with winter months.

Kmaroman
01-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Am i the only one who has learned 2wd cars in the snow don't work, buy a 4wd lol

liqidvenom
01-01-2010, 07:17 PM
no this thread is about the 2010 camaro. this whole sub forum is. he is trying to say that the summer tires suck in winter. that is a no brainer. they are seasonal tires for a reason. also he apparently does not know how do drive in the white death.

there is not much the same about the drivetrain from a 4th gen to a 5th gen. sorry.

the 5th gen isnt as unique as you would like to think. and while driving in a non performance capability, such as getting around in the snow its no different then any of the other v8 vehicles on this site. rwd, either manual or auto, v8. driving a rwd g8 isnt much different then a 4th gen or a cts-v or a vette. one may weigh more or have more power.... but its still the same respect given when taking it out in the snow.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/galleries/2008/autos/0803/gallery.chevrolet_camaro_development/images/camaro_winter_testing.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3kC7x8v3a0s/SaN7cLhbwjI/AAAAAAAAD6I/abOUmfrQF0A/s400/2010+camaro+road+test.jpg

these arent awd camaros. these are just people who can control their right foot and use their brains while on the road. No vehicle today is sold without it being able to be used in the environment it is sold.

1nicez28
01-01-2010, 10:16 PM
^not true. Good driver and good tires and you will fine in a few inches. You get a foot hell ive seen 4x4's getting stuck.

OP invest in beater rims and snow tires like was has been said. If not dont complain you cant go anywhere.

EDIT: was intented for Kmaroman

98LS16T56
01-01-2010, 10:26 PM
:nod:Yes, I could have bought a beater but do not want another car to maintain. Plus, I purchase my cars to DRIVE them, not to be garage queens.

I could not stand to pack up my camaro for the winter, that would drive me nuts! :)

1nicez28
01-01-2010, 10:55 PM
^didnt even see that post. Well then just man up and buy snow tires for the winter months.

EPP
01-02-2010, 05:14 AM
Back when I was 17 my '68 Firebird 400 4 speed was literally stuck in my parents detached garage, which had a layer of ice in it. I was also pushed up an incline in my '69 GTO back in the late 70's, by a city bus on a thin layer of snow. Nothing has changed, you still need good tires for Winter driving. A pair of snow tires will make all the difference in the world. Bob

AronZ28
01-02-2010, 05:29 AM
The last time I drove my 1999 Z28 in the snow was in 2007. It had BF Goodrich KDW summer tires mounted on it for the last three years I owned it.

We don't get much snow where I live in Nashville, but that morning at 7:00am I was driving home in a pretty significant snow storm. I got around 3" where I live. I was driving 30-40mph on the interstate behind a semi in on a somewhat clear road. Even the slightest provocation of the throttle would cause the car to spin, I was sweating bullets the whole entire way home. Summer tires ARE NOT designed for snow, I was lucky I didn't wreck the car that day.

PowerPro01
01-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Summer tires, and 4X4 drivers, have something in common...

Sure, you can get going (and 4X4s can get going REAL good!), but STOPPING is a whole 'nother issue...

It never ceases to amaze me the number of 4X4s ditched in snow storms. Just cuz it'll GO 60mph+ doesn't mean you SHOULD...

ABS and StabiliTrak don't mean a thing when the traction coefficient isn't very "efficient"...

Having said all that, I'm on the Pirelli PZeros...in an urban well-plowd well-salted environment...and I'm NOT trying to set Land Speed Records...

dlandsvZ28
01-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Back when I was 17 my '68 Firebird 400 4 speed was literally stuck in my parents detached garage, which had a layer of ice in it. I was also pushed up an incline in my '69 GTO back in the late 70's, by a city bus on a thin layer of snow. Nothing has changed, you still need good tires for Winter driving. A pair of snow tires will make all the difference in the world. Bob

I agree - Bob.

I had a 68 GTO and never got stranded with snow tires on in winter + 200 lbs of weight in southeastern Minnesota in very hilly country. Back in the 70's drove a schoolbus and never missed a day getting to work. Even during snow days when school was closed early because of snow storms to get kids home.

But we had skinny high profile tires back then that were very soft compared to the low profile super wide hard as granite tires used today. It's a lot easier to get a car moving on narrow tires that those that are 10 - 12 inches wide with a very wide tread pattern.

Snow tires + weight (sand bags) will make even a greater difference.

For those who don't know - ash from your fireplace is very good for traction to help you get started after being parked all day on an incline and when it has snowed during the day. Toss a little in front of each rear snowtire - sometimes it's better than sand for exteme bite on wet snow or ice to get you started.

And starting in 2nd or third gear is better too than starting in first.

baalic
01-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Summer tires, and 4X4 drivers, have something in common...

Sure, you can get going (and 4X4s can get going REAL good!), but STOPPING is a whole 'nother issue...

It never ceases to amaze me the number of 4X4s ditched in snow storms. Just cuz it'll GO 60mph+ doesn't mean you SHOULD...

ABS and StabiliTrak don't mean a thing when the traction coefficient isn't very "efficient"...

Having said all that, I'm on the Pirelli PZeros...in an urban well-plowd well-salted environment...and I'm NOT trying to set Land Speed Records...

+1 a lot of 4wd soccer moms "and dad" think that because they have a 4wd they have nothing to worry about. Sure with a 4wd and good tires you wont get stuck, but....driving down the highway once your moving NO ONE is probably going to get stuck.....stopping again another story.

I had a 4wd Bronco with crappy A/T tires on it, very very mild tread on the tires, no differant then a regular street tire, just a cheap labeling. I never got stuck in the snow, even when I ended up in a ditch with 3 foot of snow, I just punched it before I came to a stop and pulled myself out of the ditch.

My moms 4x4 Trailblazer has worthless cheap tires on it and now they are like drag slicks all the way around....she gets stuck in the rain......

TIRES make the difference here and the know how on how to drive in in-climate weather....

And again I realize this is a 5th gen thread but my 4th gen drove just fine the other night "new years eve" with the roads covered in a sheet of ice, and my tires are getting on the "old" side.....

90% rule..... 90% smarter then your car and you will be fine.

Kmaroman
01-02-2010, 03:04 PM
I think some of you guys took my post a lil harsh, I'm hear to clarify. 4wd is 4wd when u act like a jack ass with it you get stuck. Now let me tell you my pick up makes it out of my drive way in 2wd with descent amount of snow. I live on a hill and just received 4in maybe more the other day. Stuck my truck in 4wd and went wright up sure i sled, but i know dam well the camaro or any 2wd rwd wasn't making it up it

gectek
01-02-2010, 03:06 PM
the 5th gen isnt as unique as you would like to think. and while driving in a non performance capability, such as getting around in the snow its no different then any of the other v8 vehicles on this site. rwd, either manual or auto, v8. driving a rwd g8 isnt much different then a 4th gen or a cts-v or a vette. one may weigh more or have more power.... but its still the same respect given when taking it out in the snow.
these arent awd camaros. these are just people who can control their right foot and use their brains while on the road. No vehicle today is sold without it being able to be used in the environment it is sold.

maybe you misread everything i put down. but the drivetrain is very different from the 4th to the 5th gen camaro. did i say that you could not drive them the same? no. there are differences in the two that become very apparent when you take them on a road course. and by road course i mean every day life. may have a little more weight or power? that is an understatement as well.

94Formula/TA
01-02-2010, 03:09 PM
I think this has gotten a little too off topic. I was just posting about how insanely bad the new car is in snow with P-Zeros. Maybe it's a no brainer but it is definitely something I would consider when purchasing a ~$33k car that would require a minimum of a 2-3k investment just to drive in minimal snow. Speaking of which I would appreciate if anyone can recommend a good combination of wheels/tires because I live in two places and buying a winter beater car wouldn't do me any good if it was at the wrong house when it snowed.

gectek
01-02-2010, 03:12 PM
tirerack is one of the best places to go to compare tires. they have good prices as well.

94Formula/TA
01-02-2010, 03:25 PM
tirerack is one of the best places to go to compare tires. they have good prices as well.

I'm familiar with tirerack. I was hoping for a suggestion as to what wheel/tire combo someone else has tried on this car with success.

johnlv6
01-02-2010, 03:26 PM
I'm not sure why that would come as a surprise. If you can afford a new car...why pick up a $1,500 beater SUV for winter use?

94Formula/TA
01-02-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm not sure why that would come as a surprise. If you can afford a new car...why pick up a $1,500 beater SUV for winter use?

I explained that would be impractical because I can't forecast the weather and it's a 50% chance that the beater would be at the wrong house since I live in two different places.

KW4life06
01-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Lol. There's a lot of derr in here. I've been stuck in the snow with my car too. No one to blame but myself. Its a sports car, not an suv. Need to be smarter and better equipped.

wabmorgan
01-05-2010, 03:58 AM
Invest in some snow tires and beater wheels.

Invest in a beater car.

Pro Stock John
01-05-2010, 10:11 AM
I've been a Northerner my whole life... NJ, then MA and now IL. I've had some 4 wheel drive and 4 x 4 vehicles, a few FWD's, and many RWD's.

Our 2006 Acura MDX is the best snow vehicle I've ever had, better than my old 1995 Jeep Cherokee. Jeep was great, but this MDX is very good.

But my 2006 RWD TBSS is doing just fine too. Sure I wouldn't go on the back roads in a snow storm but I only have a 10 mile round trip commute. I've got three 70 lb bags of sand in the back in a plastic tote. You should see the holeshots I've getting right now, truck hooks like crazy.

"Summer" tires are the worst for snow, and then add in the fact they are wide 20" tires and you have one of the worst combos available on a stock car.

As I have a short commute, I'd have no problem commuting in a 2010 Camaro or other similar sports car. If it was a longer commute I'd pick up a Jeep 4x4 or Tahoe or something like that.

LT4vert
01-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Summer perf. tires would strand any car . Even my Cobalt SS with pirelli rosso tires wouldnt move a foot in an inch of snow . Apparantly the 18" C5 Z06 replica or 18" C6 Replica wheels must fit because Ive seen them on numerous 5th gens running drag radials on the back and I know theres not a substantial amount of people going to smaller brakes . By the cheapest replica set u can find and throw some blizzaks on . You wont even believe how much of a night and day difference it is . I used to be a huge pesimist in regards to snow tires until I actually tried them one year . Now its a must for me . They even allow u to have to have some controllable fun without getting stuck . FWIW the last f-car I drove thru a winter on snow tires was a 4th gen with quite a bit more power than a 5th and no traction control .

liqidvenom
01-06-2010, 10:23 AM
http://www.windingroad.com/articles/blogs/ask-it-2010-chevrolet-camaro-ss-on-winter-tires/?src=Nextscreen

they are going to drive a camaro in the snow because some of you guys are to afraid to do so. this would be insightful either way.

torlak_t
01-09-2010, 05:05 PM
not only camaro but all rear wheel drives are pain the a** to drive in the snow..dont blame camaro for that :engarde:

Ke^in
01-10-2010, 06:03 AM
Agreed, even my 2v GT is a PITA to drive in the snow.

AronZ28
01-10-2010, 06:11 AM
not only camaro but all rear wheel drives are pain the a** to drive in the snow..dont blame camaro for that :engarde:

My old 1991 Cadillac RWD land yatch did pretty good in the snow this winter. Car has a huge rear overhang which helps put some weight on the rear tires, and I loaded the trunk up with 150lbs of sand as well. Overall I was very impressed.

Yes its harder to get moving up a hill than a FWD car, but you can punch the gas and spin the rear around if you if you ever get into that terminal understeer plow. FWD cars are terrible about that, you lose traction on the front wheels in a turn, just hold on for the ride into the ditch.

PowerPro01
01-11-2010, 09:26 AM
How about these "truisms", all other things being equal...which they seldom are:

1) The more % weight on the driving wheels, the easier it will launch

2) The better "ice and snow" rating of the tire, the easier it will drive...

3) The narrower the tire, the greater the grip on ice and snow...

4) A driving style that works for FWD may NOT work for RWD...

5) No matter how "easy" your vehicle accelerates/manoeuvers on ice/snow, NOTHING STOPS very well when the coefficient ISN'T "efficient"...

Pro Stock John
01-11-2010, 10:42 AM
I remember DD'ing my '68 Chevelle SS with ladder bars and N50's on the back around 1992-1993... Didn't like ice but I still got around.

Fb0dy0nly
01-15-2010, 11:55 AM
I remember DD'ing my '68 Chevelle SS with ladder bars and N50's on the back around 1992-1993... Didn't like ice but I still got around.

ITs all about how bad you want to get where you're going and how much you're willing to risk to get there haha. :D

I love my fbody in the snow
what you are used to makes a huge difference.

Pro Stock John
01-16-2010, 10:00 AM
I think if someone is not used to driving RWD in snow it's probably pretty hard. I've only got stuck one in 15 years, was driving my '92 Mustang GT down an unplowed side street back in like 1994.

Now my old 2005 Acura TL (6 speed manual, FWD, 2xx hp) was worse in snow then that car, or my old 1998 Camaro SS.

Best snow car ever was 1981 Volvo 240 DL. Skinniest tires in the world could drive through 6 inches of snow.

I saw a blog/site where someone was going to drive a gm loaner car with snow tires, anyone have that link? I was going to see if I could get that car too through my GM connections. It was something like Winding Road?

rollsaregay
01-20-2010, 06:58 AM
all season tires will work but to invest in another set of cheap rims and blizzaks would work wonders and you would be able to truly DD the car

scottyk246
01-20-2010, 05:52 PM
I saw a blog/site where someone was going to drive a gm loaner car with snow tires, anyone have that link? I was going to see if I could get that car too through my GM connections. It was something like Winding Road?

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/blogs/ask-it-2010-chevrolet-camaro-ss-on-winter-tires/?src=Nextscreen

they are going to drive a camaro in the snow because some of you guys are to afraid to do so. this would be insightful either way.

Up at the top of this page...