Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

strut brace yes/no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strut brace yes/no?

was wondering on some opinions on a strut brace, i have a bmr brace and wanted to ditch it. i dont do much cornering ect with the car just some street driving and dragstrip passes. is it gonna effect me without it at the strip.with a few issues i only ran 11.20's this year so im hopen for a 11 flat this year coming up and with some juice maybe get into the mid 10's.

thanks
Old 12-26-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

well if you already have it, i wouldnt get rid of it. i dont think it will hurt you in anyway.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:03 AM

A strut brace isn't gonna make much difference in a straight line, but as badazz said, if you've already got one installed, there's not much point in ditching it now.

You'll really notice the brace when it comes to cornering as it tightens up the flex that occurs at the top of the suspension turrets helping to eliminate understeer in the process
Old 12-27-2009, 12:30 AM
TECH Junkie

I didn't notice a dam thing about it.

But since I already have it on I am not going to take it off, especially since I have no front sway bar.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it will save you maybe 5-7 pounds, not enough to where you can feel it. i dont do much cornering myself but even on my DD i felt a significant difference just turning onto a street. if nothing else it is an appearance mod, id say keep it
Old 12-27-2009, 02:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

The place I noticed the biggest difference was when I was stopping. Less nose dive, and subsequently I don't notice weight transfer as much. I later put my battery in the back and noticed it again.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
I dont do much cornering myself but even on my DD i felt a significant difference just turning onto a street. id say keep it
+1......
Old 12-27-2009, 07:28 PM

the trouble with a strut brace I find, is that you notice it more when its not there after driving with one fitted to a vehicle then when you fit one to a vehicle that hasnt had one in the past. Keep it and rest easy...
Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:facepalm:
Old 12-27-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an adjustable Spohn brace that pre-tensions the shock towers and I definitely felt a difference after installing it. Less flex... on the other hand drag racers usually like some flex to help with weight transfer?
Old 12-27-2009, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

well the main reason i wanna ditch it is because i wanna install a direct port system and its kinda in the way. id just sell it and put the money towards the dp kit basically.

just wasnt sure if it really helped much launching or anything
Old 12-28-2009, 11:54 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
:facepalm:
I'm right there with you. Same as all of those people who want poly end links in their lower control arms.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I'm right there with you. Same as all of those people who want poly end links in their lower control arms.
wats wrong with poly control arms? i have UMI's non adjustable rear control arms with poly bushings and they eliminated all wheel hop, sideways takeoffs/fishtailing, and loose handling that i had before.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:20 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's a thought to ponder for a minute. What is the actual job of a rear lower control arm? Answer, to keep the rear moving smoothly in a centered arc. It's not supposed to inhibit the movement of the rear from moving in that arc at all, that's the shock and springs job, along with the sway bar. When you put poly bushings in the lower control arm joints, they will bind, maybe not at first, but eventually they will bind, which will make the job of the spring, shock and sway bar impossible to do accurately.

To control wheel hop, sideways takeoff, fishtailing etc, look at the shocks, springs, torque arm and panhard bar first before looking at the lower control arms. Control arms aren't meant to impede the upward or downward movement of the rear. Do you want better traction? Go with a larger rear sway, softer springs, and control the rebound on the shocks. This will allow the rear to squat and go. The lca's just keep the axle square to the chasis.

Ever work out? Ever use any kind of arc movement machine with wieghts? Bench press, leg extension etc? Do you want the joints to be smooth moving or do you want them to have friction? Same thing with lower control arms, you want them to have smooth movement and poly bushings bind, period, even with lots of grease, they will still bind once the grease pushes out.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a thought to ponder for a minute.
Now you've done it ...
Old 12-29-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

strut tower brace = an appearance mod and added weight to the front of your car. i bet you will not notice any difference if you take it off. drop some weight off that car and get into the 10's
Old 12-29-2009, 01:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mike135531bubba
strut tower brace = an appearance mod and added weight to the front of your car. i bet you will not notice any difference if you take it off. drop some weight off that car and get into the 10's
i put mine on and didnt notice a difference.....however the 5lbs. it weighs will not net you any gains in ur 1/4.....also they sell brand new for 65 bucks.....how much could you get for a used on to put towards new mods....i vote leave it
Old 12-29-2009, 04:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a thought to ponder for a minute.
+1

Many people don't consider that when cornering, the body and axle "twist" in opposite directions to each other... i.e. the rear lca's are subjected to a twisting motion, and if the lca bushings do not "give", then they will bind, preventing the swing motion of the lca's as you said, and perhaps bend the lca mounting flanges.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by joecar
+1

Many people don't consider that when cornering, the body and axle "twist" in opposite directions to each other... i.e. the rear lca's are subjected to a twisting motion, and if the lca bushings do not "give", then they will bind, preventing the swing motion of the lca's as you said, and perhaps bend the lca mounting flanges.
Jesus ... I'll take a set of those tires.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Smile

lol... ok, I did say "perhaps"... ...I have seen a bent tab, I guess I assumed its cause.

rethinking about it... if the lca's front bushing is poly then the lca can't twist in front (ok, yep you're right, no bending)... and if the rear bushing is poly then the lca can't twist in rear... so the lca itself twists, limiting the swing/arc motion...

hmmm, what happens if the lca has been boxed in to prevent twisting...?

ha ha, I'll take a set of those tire too.

Quick Reply: strut brace yes/no?