General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

passagner window problem NEED HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default passagner window problem NEED HELP ASAP

on tuesday my passanger window was wokign fine and then it wouldnt go down, i tought it was a bad motor, since the motor was still under warranty i got a new a same problem i tough maybe it was defective got and got another one and same thing thign window will only go up and not down. it wont event make noise when i click the button to go down. then it tought maybe its the switch that doesnt work replace with a spare and nothing. i cheked the connection cables everything looks in good shape. if hit the swithc to go up you can hear the motor click tryign to move the window up but its already all the way up. you try to go down and nothing. the weird thing is the the driver side window works fine it goes up and down, if i try to move the passanger window up from the driver side it wont work it only goes up with the passanger side switch. idk what else to chek if pretty much exhausted everythign i know. what do you guys think might be causing this problem. i cheked for power and there is but the dam window wont go down.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i heard there is a module that goes bad also, you might want to check on that. i am not sure where it is located though.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Teching In

really, itw weird because the driver side window goes up and down, and the passanger only goes up but not down hopefully someone will lead me to the module or how to exactly fix this problem. the motor is new i even returned it cause i tought it was defective got another same thing and the regulator is in good shape also.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

There is no module for the passenger side window.

The passenger door window switch is wired THROUGH the switch on the passenger switch on the driver's side. So, if the switch on the driver's side is bad, replacing the switch in the passenger door won't do anything for you.

Which switch did you replace?
Old 12-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Teching In

the one on the passanger door lol, so might best bet is that the master switch on the driver side is gone. but the driver side window goes up and down perfect. and when i try to put the window up on the driver side the motor doesnt even move, when hit the switch to put it up on the passanger side it goes up but not down lol. so even if it still goes up with the passanger switch the master switch may still damaged and need replacement???
Old 12-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by michael454rs
the one on the passanger door lol, so might best bet is that the master switch on the driver side is gone. but the driver side window goes up and down perfect. and when i try to put the window up on the driver side the motor doesnt even move, when hit the switch to put it up on the passanger side it goes up but not down lol. so even if it still goes up with the passanger switch the master switch may still damaged and need replacement???
I don't have my schematics with me right now, but it 100% sounds like the driver's side switch assembly. (Otherwise, I could tell you the exact contacts that are out.) The driver's side switch module is like two switches in the same case. The driver's side and passenger side functions are completely isolated. Its just the passenger side window that goes through the driver's door switch first. If one of the pass-through contacts in that driver's side switch is broken, it can give you the behavior you are describing.

Before you change the switch out, you may want to just check the connector on the driver's side. If that plug is loose, it could look like a bad switch.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Teching In

cheked the connection already to the driver side also looks good no rust no torn cables so its seems 100 percent now that the driver side swtich assmebly is the is shot. even if the switch is messed tha driver side window still works???? im going to swap out the switch if it doesnt work i will defently be hiting you back up for more help.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:28 PM
Save the manuals!

yes, the driver's side and passenger side have nothing to do with each other. (I think my earlier comment may have been confusing.)

The only thing the two sides share electrically is the fuse, but they do have switches in the same "case" on the driver's side. It may be easier to understand if you picture the driver's side window as being completely separate, running off of one switch. Then the passenger side as separate, but running off of two switches. (Like some of the lights in your house where you have one switch on one side of the room and another switch for the same light on the other side of the room. Both switches need to be hooked up and functional for the light to work.)

A new driver's side switch assembly should get you back in business.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Teching In

sweettttttttttttttttttttttttttt i was getting gray hairs trying tpo figure out lol. i ordered yesterday hope fully that is the fix thanks broo,
Old 12-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Teching In

well i turned out to be the driver switch, got the new one and the windo worked lol.