Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Does my drive shaft fitment look correct?

Old 12-25-2009, 03:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does my drive shaft fitment look correct?

Just installed my 9" rear end, swapped out Stock DS for a tad longer one. Does this fitment look correct?

Old 12-25-2009, 05:32 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

How far can you push it into the transmission before it bottoms out? Bob
Old 12-25-2009, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

It is pushed back as far as it can be, the picture is the drive shaft bolted on. will i be ok?
Old 12-25-2009, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trust me its not the look you need, you need to unbolt the shaft from the rear of the car,THEN see how much farther it will slide into the transmission, if it isnt the correct distance you can have from small to huge problems, check with BOB@EPP he will give you the correct info, i would not drive the car untill you verify its good , to much can happen!
Old 12-25-2009, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by STMPDUST
Trust me its not the look you need, you need to unbolt the shaft from the rear of the car,THEN see how much farther it will slide into the transmission, if it isnt the correct distance you can have from small to huge problems, check with BOB@EPP he will give you the correct info, i would not drive the car untill you verify its good , to much can happen!
Before i bolted to the rear end, i can slide it all the way in. but in order for me to link the 2 together, i had to pull it out towards the back of the car. Even with a stock DS.. does it look the way this does?
Old 12-25-2009, 07:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by johnzss
Before i bolted to the rear end, i can slide it all the way in. but in order for me to link the 2 together, i had to pull it out towards the back of the car. Even with a stock DS.. does it look the way this does?
dont think that its correct, i beleave mine is inserted all the way, with the stock driveshaft, What yoke do you have
Old 12-25-2009, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

Not sure what size yoke it is. any idea on what i should do next? should i fit my stock drive shaft and see what that fits like? I know its best to upgrade the drive shaft but if i can go without for the moment i can. either way i want to get this moving.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:03 PM
9 Second Club

Do you have it jacked up under the rear axle or else where. You need the vehicle weight on the axle and then see how far it goes in with the weight on it.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by penningta
Do you have it jacked up under the rear axle or else where. You need the vehicle weight on the axle and then see how far it goes in with the weight on it.

the car is jacked up and is resting on the jackstand from the frame. Should i remove the jackstands and support the car under the rear end and check again? Thanks for those helping out!
Old 12-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Restricted User

put jack stands under rear axle tubes
push the ds yoke all the way into the tranny until it bottoms out
mark the yoke with a marker where the seal rides
then bolt the ds to the rearend
mark the yoke where the seal rides

take another picture and post it.... lol

you want as much engagement on the tailshaft as you can get, but remember when you get on it the car squats and that causes the ds to push onto the tranny tailshaft farther.... normally seems to push on and off the tailshaft around 3/4" to 1 1/4" on most vehicles i have been around...

so you basically want to have 1 1/2" or more from bottoming out on the tranny tailshaft at normal ride height...

Pinion angle will also effect this....

this is how i do it.... im sure the experts have an easier/better way to measure for the correct DS.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BAD_LS1
put jack stands under rear axle tubes
push the ds yoke all the way into the tranny until it bottoms out
mark the yoke with a marker where the seal rides
then bolt the ds to the rearend
mark the yoke where the seal rides

take another picture and post it.... lol

you want as much engagement on the tailshaft as you can get, but remember when you get on it the car squats and that causes the ds to push onto the tranny tailshaft farther.... normally seems to push on and off the tailshaft around 3/4" to 1 1/4" on most vehicles i have been around...

so you basically want to have 1 1/2" or more from bottoming out on the tranny tailshaft at normal ride height...

Pinion angle will also effect this....

this is how i do it.... im sure the experts have an easier/better way to measure for the correct DS.
thank you!I will give this a shot tomorrow and post pics up. thanks again!

Search this Thread