Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Starter engages when reconnecting battery.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter engages when reconnecting battery.

I have a 2001 Camaro SS, fairly low mileage (60k) and i swapped the clutch out for the second time. After R&R the transmission and the clutch i bled the system, when i went to reconnect the battery the car started turning over. I dropped the starter to make sure none of the connections on the starter where touching which none of them where. I pulled the relay to the starter motor and connected the battery and messed with the ignition cylinder a bit and the solenoid disengaged. with battery reconnected and the relay i thought it was fixed then i slammed the hood and the car started to turn over again. My security light has been on for a few months now so im not sure to rule that to be the problem or the solenoid is just sticking?
Old 12-25-2009, 01:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remove the purple wire going to the starter solenoid and connect the battery. It should not turn over. Then check for power (12V) at the end of the purple wire. There should be power only when you turn the key to "start" and no power when when the key is in any other position. If you DO have power when the key is not in "start" position, then you have an issues in:

1) starter relay
2) ignition switch

Quick Reply: Starter engages when reconnecting battery.