What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Purchasing 98 WS6 auto 127k- Few questions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing 98 WS6 auto 127k- Few questions?

Alright, first off I am not looking for an automatic car. I was looking only for a Black WS6, 6spd, 98+, and black leather t-tops.

I found this car only a few miles from me, one owner, 127k miles, nice paint, new window, and headlight motors for $7500. I talked him down to $7000 easy. The car has origional motor/trans, never wrecked. Mostly garage kept, but was driven in rain, no winters. I am making a daily out of the car, so not looking to spend 18k, on a pristine car, and then decrease it's value in the matter of a few months. I'm an ASE cert mechanic, so fixing issues isn't a problem, however I DO NOT want to have to put a motor or trans in immediatly.

I drove the car, he had pre-warmed the car before I got there, so I was already a bit weary. He said it needed gas. It has nice interior, minus the pass door panel is loosy goosy LOL. Exterior is a 9/10, -1 for some swirl marks.

Trans fluid is a bit dark, but the trans shifted hard in first. I am thinking this is a sign of a shift kit, or trans going out. Goint to bring HP tuners back with me to check the PCM for codes. I have intentions of manual swapping her soon, but dont want to be left stranded.

So, tell me what I should be looking for. I am going tomorrow with money, but want to start/drive it cold, listen for bad piston slap, slipping trans. If I find a bad trans, should I offer him 1500 or more less for the car? I'mm have the car fax tomorrow as well, to see what I can find on the car. Also, should mention the car is bone stock other than a muffler, and radio. Thanks in advance for me being a LS1 newb.

By the way I can't even contain my excitement for getting the car, can't wait. Have wanted one for several years, now it's my turn for a bad *** car!
Old 12-25-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Id keep looking.better deals are out there right now with the economy
Old 12-25-2009, 06:13 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You're an ASE certified 'tech-you'd know better than we would on what to look for...
Old 12-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Teching In

For the most part, however, I know general things to look for. There are model specific problems, that you guys may be aware of, that I may not.

I agree with the better deals, but cash is tight here as well. I would like to keep it under 8k, but with my price I am willing to make a sacrafice or two. My biggest issue with the car is it's not 6spd. Maybe i'll try to knock it down a bit, if I see and transmission codes, or issues with it cold.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

I'd check the power steering fluid, check the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts on the tranny and see if the bounce off the rev limiter, becuuse thats usually when they're on their way out. I'd still lowball him, the worse he will say is no.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes they shift hard in first when the pcm sees the 1870 code (tcc). My truck never threw the SES light but when I had the codes read it popped up. The 2/3 clutches and especially 3/4's are prone to failure in these trannys so pay special attention how they feel.

Listen to weakass 10 bolt rear closely.

I wouldnt worry about piston slap as GM asys it is normal My 5.3 in the 99 Z-71still runs GREAT at 197K miles with piston slap. Has always burned half a qt. at about 3k miles but a lot of cars use more....
Old 12-25-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

7k seems high for that mileage. any mods done?
Old 12-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Well, other than a muffler no. Lot's of new parts, that you can easily see. Only problem I have with the 1-2 shift is that it spins through this shift, but it didn't bounce. I'll try to get some more heat in the tires and try again.

Rear end was quite as could be, much to my suprise. I'll take her on the highway today and listen.

HP tunerswill pull the transmission codes if there are any, and i'll make sure to drive it a long ways first. Even if I bought it and the trans crapped out, it's just a good excuse to go T-56 before the spring. I'm not looking to make a track queen... just your average 400/425hp street car.

I was really impressed by the condition of the paint, and never saw a single scratch or dent on the damn car. The interior was very clean, minimal wear on the seats too. I dunno, just think this will be about the cheapest i'll step into a true WS6 black car, for under 10k.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen quite a few better deals than that lately. Honestly, if you really want a 6 speed then I would just buy that now. At $8K and under, you should be able to find a really nice one that is exactly what you want (especially a black TA). Shoot, look around the 9K-10K mark and just lowball the person (cash always talks!) I always wanted a 6 speed but I got my automatic 98' TA dirt cheap so I justified it but would still like to swap it out sometime. Also, you do realize that it will cost you around another $1500-$2000 or more to get a T56 and all the components to swap it? That brings you up to $8500-$9000 invested if you bought that car........Have you checked the classified section on this site yet?
Old 12-26-2009, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

man the deal is up to you. yeah its a buyers market, but you have to evaluate what you think you want to spend and if you really want it. you said you want a 6 speed, and you can probably get one for the same price. without the hassle of selling your old stuff and getting a complete m6 swap. i bought my car over a year ago for 9 with 120k....but i was wanting one. genuine 98ws6 black m6...new motor at 100k..found out its a ls6 block with 241s later, win win for me!

and if you do buy it, welcome to the small group of "black 98 ws6 owners' lol, still cant find how many were made....as in. breakdown of color and trans...roughly 1800 ws6s were made in black and red...ghey...lol!

post some pics if you get it!!!!
Old 12-26-2009, 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way I would pay that for that high of mileage especially on a stock car.. My opinion is to keep looking, there are deal EVERYWHERE right now.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pass.......
Old 12-26-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Another pass here. Sounds like a potential "money pit".
Are you serious about 9 out of 10 exterior on a 12 year old car with over 100K?? Step back and really look at it. A 9 out of 10 car would be a garage kept car with 20,000k on it, maybe!! There are always exceptions but it sounds like you need an impartial friend to take along if you decide to actually bring good $$ with you.