Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK 85 mm TB and 85mm MAF

Old 12-25-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BBK 85 mm TB and 85mm MAF

I have the BBK SSI with a stock throttle body and am wondering if its worth it to go to the BBK 85mm throttle body. The Intake opening is 85mm and I believe the stock throttle body is like 78mm or so. I know when I put the throttle body it was quite a difference.

Also, should I go with a bigger MAF, maybe a truck one, I believe i heard there is a truck MAF that is 85mm. Seems like this would help since all the other openings are bigger, might even need a bigger lid too.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At your power level that you have now being SI the 85mm TB will help but not much plus you will need a tune to recalobrate the 85mm MAF when I upgraded I did the 85mm TB and MAF it just made sense to me to have everything 85mm I see that you plan on camming your car soon I would just install everything at once while your doing the cam and get it tuned all at once I'm sure your cam would benefit from the 85mm upgrade I'm using a regular sized MTI lid I just used a coupler to connect my 85mm MAF to it because the ID of my lid and MAF are just about the same size so I didn't feel the need to change it. If you decide to change MAF's just get the regular gm delphi unit don't waste your money on the Slp one and which ever 85mm TB you decide to go with BBK or professional products I would suggest doing a port job to the TB.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks, where did you get the coupler to attached the MAF to the lid?
Old 12-26-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Leave the stock MAF on there. Every tuner i have talked to on this site have all said the aftermarket MAF's are harder to tune and actually hurt porformance more then help it.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I would definately run a bigger TB...before my current setup I noticed a pretty big gain w/ just a ported stock tb w/ the stock intake...Not sure how much the bbk is but you can also get a pp 85mm for pretty cheap. You should definately notice something...I would also leave the maf alone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BBK 85 mm TB and 85mm MAF