Print Wikipost

Best Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Air Filter

Hi

so what's the best air filter for the ls3 ??

plz search thread are not acceptable
Old 12-26-2009, 02:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

NO AIR FILTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JK the stock one will be fine just save for a aftermarket intake IMO
Old 12-26-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RotoFab makes the best cold air system but just for a stock replacement i would go w/ K&N.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
RotoFab makes the best cold air system.
That is completely incorrect.

Rotafab made the LEAST avg HP out of all the top intakes.

Fastlane and CAI had the most HP, but fastlane's needed a tune to avoid knock.

Otherwise go with a K&N panel...
Old 12-26-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Evo8You
That is completely incorrect.

Rotafab made the LEAST avg HP out of all the top intakes.

Fastlane and CAI had the most HP, but fastlane's needed a tune to avoid knock. Otherwise go with a K&N panel...
ide like to see how these tests were performed and whether the car was already hot or they just ran cold tests. i had mine dynoed after the car was driven about 30 miles hot off the street in 98+degree weather with a rotofab cai on my otherwise stock 2010 m6 ss and it made 390 rwhp. this was done at about 3000 miles
Old 12-27-2009, 01:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
ide like to see how these tests were performed and whether the car was already hot or they just ran cold tests. i had mine dynoed after the car was driven about 30 miles hot off the street in 98+degree weather with a rotofab cai on my otherwise stock 2010 m6 ss and it made 390 rwhp. this was done at about 3000 miles
All the tests for each CAI were done exactly the same. Car was run with new CAI installed to get the PCM to "learn" the new system, then the car was brought up to operating temp before being dyno'd. All test were done with the hood down and fans blowing on the front of the car to simulate driving. The test car was bone stock, right down to the factory intake.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP keep your stock air filter, on a stock intake the horsepower gain from a different filter is very minimal. And as far as CAIs for the 2010s go, shouldnt they all be roughly the same? there isnt any way you can make them different from each other, you are paying for a brand, fitment and the look. its just an open filter into an elbow
Old 12-27-2009, 04:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
OP keep your stock air filter, on a stock intake the horsepower gain from a different filter is very minimal. And as far as CAIs for the 2010s go, shouldnt they all be roughly the same? there isnt any way you can make them different from each other, you are paying for a brand, fitment and the look. its just an open filter into an elbow
That's not entirely true.

A K&N filter was shown to gain absolutely nothing in terms of power. I'm sure it would do a better job at filtering though.

CAI's can vary quite a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer. Size, placement, filter used, and heat shield fitment plays a huge roll in getting the absolute coldest air into the intake. Radiusing the tube intake can make a fairly noticeable difference as well. Take Hennesey's intake for example. It's a $500 POS that has no heatshield at all and was the worst CAI they tested. It barely showed any improvement over the stock box and in some instances it was worse. Take the same design and add a good fitting heatshield to it and it will gain 5-10whp more. It's not just about getting a big *** tube with a filter on the end of it. There is a little science and experimentation to it.

Quick Reply: Best Air Filter