Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Update my 98 Hydralics to 00-02 poss slave clyinder bad??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Update my 98 Hydralics to 00-02 poss slave clyinder bad??

Ok, I did a search and didn't find any clear answers. So. Wha I have is a 98 LS1 6speed Camaro. I think my slave cylinder is bad? What happens is in the morning, the clutch has great pedal and no free play. After driving for a few miles, I develop about 1/2 inch of free play in the clutch pedal. Then when the car fully warmed up, it loses about 1 inch of freeplay. But, the trans has no problem going into ANY GEAR. After about 5 more miles, the clutch pedal goes back to normal and has no freeplay. Then after 8 hours leaving work, it starts all backover again. can drive the car all day and it wouldbe fine after it does all this but the next day, it starts allback ovr again. I checked the boot for the clutch master cylinder and it is DRY. Also, I tried flushing the clutch fluid and it stays clean and dosnt LOSE ANY FLUID! Thats why I think I may have a bad slave? My question is wha do you guys think, and if it is a slave, i heard the 00-02 F-body Hydralics are the way to go. CanI just order a slave for a 01 Camaro and put it in my trans with no modifications to my 98 hydralics and later down the road when I get more money replace the clutch master with a 01 Camaro, or do I have to buy Clutch master, line and slave all at once ? thanks so much for your help
Old 12-26-2009, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

nobody??
Old 12-27-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can update the slave with an OEM 00-02 unit without any changes to the stock master and stock clutch line.

as for your other problems, get a hold of a mityvac and use that to bleed the clutch
Old 12-27-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't go after the slave just yet. If you are having no trouble changing into gears other than just losing an inch of play sometimes, what is the problem? And my local performance shop said 01'-02' master cylinders won't fit a 98'-00' f-body. He showed me the two and they have different mounting designs.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help. I will try and bleed it out. I just is annoying that the pedal loses some and then goes back to normal. It seems to be affected by the temperature outside. Latley its been in the 20's-30's. Today it was in the high 40's and it only lost about 12 inch of freeplay for a short time and then was fine the rest of the day. I willtry to bleed it out one more time. thnks for the help an keep the ideas coming. I really dont want to drop the trans in this car to replace the slave.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
And my local performance shop said 01'-02' master cylinders won't fit a 98'-00' f-body. He showed me the two and they have different mounting designs.
I'd go to another shop....

A 01-02 slave would be a good idea. Chances are your stock one may be leaking.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have an 01-02 slave on my 98 T/A....i am living proof that you can do it
Old 12-31-2009, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

so you can bolt one in with no modifications an use the 98 line?
Old 01-01-2010, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98LS16T56
so you can bolt one in with no modifications an use the 98 line?
yup. ive done it.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:39 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 98LS16T56
Ok, I did a search and didn't find any clear answers. So. Wha I have is a 98 LS1 6speed Camaro. I think my slave cylinder is bad? What happens is in the morning, the clutch has great pedal and no free play. After driving for a few miles, I develop about 1/2 inch of free play in the clutch pedal. Then when the car fully warmed up, it loses about 1 inch of freeplay. But, the trans has no problem going into ANY GEAR. After about 5 more miles, the clutch pedal goes back to normal and has no freeplay. Then after 8 hours leaving work, it starts all backover again. can drive the car all day and it wouldbe fine after it does all this but the next day, it starts allback ovr again. I checked the boot for the clutch master cylinder and it is DRY. Also, I tried flushing the clutch fluid and it stays clean and dosnt LOSE ANY FLUID! Thats why I think I may have a bad slave? My question is wha do you guys think, and if it is a slave, i heard the 00-02 F-body Hydralics are the way to go. CanI just order a slave for a 01 Camaro and put it in my trans with no modifications to my 98 hydralics and later down the road when I get more money replace the clutch master with a 01 Camaro, or do I have to buy Clutch master, line and slave all at once ? thanks so much for your help

Well, if all you have is "free play" but it shifts fine...why are you concerned? HAve you tried shifting fast? How does it perform? What I am saying is, if not broke, why change?

And my local performance shop said 01'-02' master cylinders won't fit a 98'-00' f-body. He showed me the two and they have different mounting designs.

What he showed you was something else, as all 98-02 FBody MC and slaves will interchange with no problems.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Gen 414.. I see exactly what you are saying. But its the fact that it changes the futher you drive. I would be one thing if it always had 1/2 or freeplay and never changed. But it eventually goes back to the way its supposed to be, but I'm just about at work when its back to normal. then when I leave work, I have to do it all over again. I guess I'm just too ****. Today the temp outside is in the 40's. So Im going to try and bleed it today. Thanks for everyones help. After I drive it a few days, I will post if bleeding it fixed it. thanks guys.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gen414
What he showed you was something else, as all 98-02 FBody MC and slaves will interchange with no problems.
That's so weird guys. He must have showed me a corvette master cylinder or something.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

mine does something similar only when its cold..i hate it, it makes me shift all funny haha. While it annoys me it hasn't rushed me into changing the hydraulics and creating a problem that really isn't there. I would try a good thorough bleed and see what happens. I haven't bled since before winter If I beat you to it I'll let you know the results
Old 01-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Banned

That's so weird guys. He must have showed me a corvette master cylinder or something.
the corvette one is the same just uses a flexible hose till it meets the coupler to connect the line from the master. the f body one is a hard line and connects directly as soon as its out the bell housing
Old 01-07-2010, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Ok, bled it out and ha ve been driving it this week. Th first day it bearly had any free play. the next day to present day..its the exact same way it was. I am so lost. I am not losing any fluid! The master is dry as hell and it looks like it was replaced at one point, but thats just a guess. any more ideas before I rip the trans out and replace the slave?

Last edited by 98LS16T56; 01-07-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

please do!! I know what you mean. It doesnt cause any shifting problems, its just annoying! Let me know if you come up with anything. Also I se your from King of Prussia. I work in KOP and grew up and lived there for the first 23 years of my life. I'm now 26 so basicall all my life. I dont think I'vever seen your car.
Originally Posted by squints88
mine does something similar only when its cold..i hate it, it makes me shift all funny haha. While it annoys me it hasn't rushed me into changing the hydraulics and creating a problem that really isn't there. I would try a good thorough bleed and see what happens. I haven't bled since before winter If I beat you to it I'll let you know the results

Last edited by 98LS16T56; 01-07-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

whoa didn't even realize you had posted this thread, I sent you a pm back..I'm gonna bleed the system today. There has to be air/water in there somewhere for me at least because it seems temperature related.. How long have you had your car??
Old 01-10-2010, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

I would bet that you have air/fluid problems with the chance of a bad master. Normally when a slave goes you will lose fluid. You can have a master that starts to go out and a good test for that is to hold the pedal down for a few minutes and see if it sticks to the floor.

What it sounds like is air in the system or expansion contraction of fluid due to temperature. Which most likely is going to be air because if your fluid is expanding it should have no effect on the pedal unless you are running low on fluid.

Good luck. also if you see fluid come up in the reservoir when you push in the pedal your master is cutting out.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

squints88-For my 98 Camaro-2 years. IROC- in march will be 8 years

rabiddog-It doesnt stick to the floor. No fluid loss whatsoever. I bleed the clutch out again today.. Will find out over he next few days if it fixes it. If not, I'll try the master first, then rip the trans out and do the slave if the master doest fix it. What a pain in the *** it is to bleed these cars. I wish it had an external slave cylinder like it does on my 4 other cars!

Will post back in a few days to let you know if its fixed. thanks for the replies
Old 01-11-2010, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Let us know what you find. if you end up dropping the tranny go ahead and put a speed bleeder on it. It will make life a lot easier. I put a tick m/c in mine w/ the ls7 clutch and speed bleeder. The tick m/c gives you a nice short pedal.

Quick Reply: Update my 98 Hydralics to 00-02 poss slave clyinder bad??