Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ORY with GMMG ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ORY with GMMG ???'s

I did a search and found a lot of the same few posts about the sound scattered over the last few years. I was going to get a TSP catted-y when I get my LT's but I'm thinking of getting the Pacesetter ORY instead. I'm hesitant to do it because of the drone, but I've only heard one other GMMG car in person besides mine and it had a catted-y. I'm not going to put a bullet in my I-pipe or anything like that, so my question is; how does the GMMG sound with no cats, LT's and an ORY? I gave my friend a Hooker cat-back that he runs with LT's and no cats and it sounds great. It's quiet at idle and wakes up a bit under acceleration. On the other hand, I have another friend with a LM1 with LT's and ORY that sounds rediculous. I hope my GMMG is right in between.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

It sounds ridiculous. Beyond horrible. I drove my car once around the block with that setup and that was it. Took a catted Y, powerstick in the I, and resonator tips to calm it down.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude when i lived in Cali there was a guy at a car meet that had the GMMG with some Pacesetters and an ORY. it was loud, full of drone and raspy. But then there was another guy that had Pacesetters or Kooks with a cattey Y and the GMMG and it sounded amazing at all speeds. I would stick with a catted Y. I have had my Kooks and catted Y with GMMG for a few years and it still makes me happy and has an amazing sound, not too loud at idle/cruising but opens up a can of roaring whoop *** at full throttle!
Old 12-26-2009, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

i would go with the TSP off-road ypipe, its way better than the pacesetter one. the merge is just better. it will sound awesome with lt's, ory, and a gmmg. i run an ory and love it!
Old 12-26-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mods in sig.... ordering my CME this week!!!!!

Old 12-27-2009, 03:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get the catted y. you should lose no power over an ORY because the better merge on the TSP y should offset the minimal loss from the cats. plus it will quiet your exhaust down a tad (from what i read the difference is minimal) and you wont have that smell of raw fuel from running no cats
Old 12-27-2009, 07:01 AM
12 Second Club

Get the cats Josh... If you want ory I'll give you mine cheap when I get my catted y. From what I'm reading on different sites the general consensus is that its going to be LOUD! When you get a cam it'll be really loud haha!
Old 12-27-2009, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys! lol Jamie... yeah I better get the cats while I have the $ to.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

I am cammed running an ORY with a GMMG & yea its a lil loud but I love the sound & no rasp from my setup. I wouldnt classify the sound as obnoxiously loud like I have heard about SLPs LM1 but it makes some noise.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol there is No such thing as GMMG with ory and no rasp! Ya in denial lol. It will sound like *** like a loud month with no cats. Will Sound good a idle and going down the drag strip! Everywhere else ehhhh. Ive installed this setup on a few cars gross sounding most of the rpm's

Last edited by SIC LSX; 12-27-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sound like poop get a B&B
Old 12-27-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SIC LSX
lol there is No such thing as GMMG with ory and no rasp! Ya in denial lol. It will sound like *** like a loud month with no cats. Will Sound good a idle and going down the drag strip! Everywhere else ehhhh. Ive installed this setup on a few cars gross sounding most of the rpm's
Not in denial bro, if it sounded like you ASSUME it does, then I would put cats on it or do something IF it had rasp, which it does not. Mine sounds AMAZING at all speeds. My GTP has a SLP exhaust & it does have some rasp, so I know what rasp sounds like.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Sound like poop get a B&B
Good one Bill, but a B&B is the crappiest exhaust I've ever heard, lol.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys have to remember what sounds good to one person might not sound good to the other person. Me personally I have Kook's LT, Catted Y-pipe and it had a little rasp to at so I-put a bullet in the I-pipe and that took out majority of all the rasp. I didn't put the bullet in there cause it was loud but I wanted to take out some of the rasp but I get nothing but good feedback on how it sounds.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thewholefnshow1
You guys have to remember what sounds good to one person might not sound good to the other person. Me personally I have Kook's LT, Catted Y-pipe and it had a little rasp to at so I-put a bullet in the I-pipe and that took out majority of all the rasp. I didn't put the bullet in there cause it was loud but I wanted to take out some of the rasp but I get nothing but good feedback on how it sounds.
yup thats what ya have to do to make them sound good and u have cats
Old 12-29-2009, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

See the link in my sig for my GMMG exhaust set up

Here is an idle clip to

Old 12-31-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the cats if you haven't made your decision yet...

It's loud without being obnoxious
Old 12-31-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99_SS_LS1
+1 on the cats if you haven't made your decision yet...

It's loud without being obnoxious
My powerstick muffler in my I pipe killed 98% of my rasp
Old 12-31-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
My powerstick muffler in my I pipe killed 98% of my rasp
Remember 2 Torchd you have a FM Merge to so that might have help along with bullet in the I.

Torchd Which one did you like the best. Your True dual setup or your GMMG setup? If there was no clearance issues involved would you take. An to you which one is the loudest to you? I'm thinking of keeping my existing GMMG exhaust and running a Bassani true dual setup to it. How do you think that would sound?
Old 01-01-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thewholefnshow1
Remember 2 Torchd you have a FM Merge to so that might have help along with bullet in the I.

Torchd Which one did you like the best. Your True dual setup or your GMMG setup? If there was no clearance issues involved would you take. An to you which one is the loudest to you? I'm thinking of keeping my existing GMMG exhaust and running a Bassani true dual setup to it. How do you think that would sound?
The FM merge didnt do anything to cut back on rasp. I had the FM merge on the car bf i added my powerstick muffler. The powerstick killed like I said about 98% of the rasp, not the FM merge!!!!!

Its hard to say which one I liked more. I love them both the same to be honest! I think the GMMG is the louder of the 2.

O/R H and 1 chambers

GMMG w/FM NO POWERSTICK

CURRENT SET UP.. SEE SIG FM and POWERSTICK