Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Nitrous vs Turbo..HP VS RPM???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nitrous vs Turbo..HP VS RPM???

Hey guys

Which one will make more hp/tq under curve? I'm talking about low, midrange and top-end?
Old 12-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well for starters, nitrous is not intended to be used at part throttle.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I second what cobrakiller said,nitrous at part throttle,not the best idea!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to be comparing apples to apples. Turbos can make alot of torque and most nitrous set-ups do as well. Nitrous is the first choice for many people because of the inital cost, but then you want to go faster and need all the nice nitrous stuff, and still need constant refills. By this time...you could have a faster car with a turbo and less maintence.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Staging Lane

So on the dyno the turbos can build more hp/tq even in earlier/lower RPM range?

Then when the Nitrous has advantage over turbo?
Old 12-27-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just recently thinking of ditching my turbo plans and doing nitrous. I just got word my engine builder is finishing my motor after 5 months. I told him to take his time and boy he sure did, lol. So I thought I would be impatient and just throw on some nitrous. After adding all the costs to DO IT RIGHT, I decided to just stick with my turbo plans. Nitrous is damn expensive if you want to spray more than 200hp. Under that it's not that bad. But then if you want to throw in stuff like auto openers, progressive controllers, NANO, then it adds right back up.

In the end it comes down to, at least in my mind, that nitrous is great for a dedicated track car with pit help to tow your car and read plugs. Turbo is great for daily driving AND racing.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FreakChevy
So on the dyno the turbos can build more hp/tq even in earlier/lower RPM range?

Then when the Nitrous has advantage over turbo?

All of that depends on the motor and turbo sizing. Nitrous usually picks up the whole curve from the rpm it turns on untill redline by the amount of nitrous you are spraying. Ive had plenty of cars double/tripple/quadripple the amount of n/a horsepower the motor is making, it just depends on what your dealing with. Maybe if you gave us some idea of what motor you are dealing with and what you want out of it.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

Thinking to go with LSX440 or LSX440ci

I saw LMR TT Camaro vids and WOW!!! I don't think a big cubic w/400 shot would hold with that LMR monster

What do u think?
Old 12-27-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

i personally do not like nitrous. i hate the fact that you have to get refills all the time and the power is not always there. if it is just a track car nitrous would make sense but in a street car it just does not make sense to me.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by elias_799
i personally do not like nitrous. i hate the fact that you have to get refills all the time and the power is not always there. if it is just a track car nitrous would make sense but in a street car it just does not make sense to me.
I agree 100%
Old 12-27-2009, 07:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A turbo is a progressive nitrous kit with an always full bottle.

When dealing with average HP a N2O and a good turbo setup will be fairly equal.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nitrous is wicked but I hated the constant filling of bottles and if it's a street car you need an electric bottle opener. I ended up getting a filling station and did it myself but it does get pricey.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:22 AM
10 Second Club

not to mention you have to wait for the bottle to warm up...
Old 12-28-2009, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by elias_799
I agree 100%
i agree as well
Old 12-28-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nitrous as said can hit hard or soft depending on if you use progressive controller on the nitrous or stage it ,etc. You do have to fill bottles of course and to do it right you could spend a lot on bottle openers,warmers,purge,etc.

nitrous of course has no lag ,no spool time just pretty much instant power when you hit the botton. This can also cause traction issues but again they do have progressive nitrous controllers to help in that area.

Also nitrous and turbos can work very well together usually then you run small shots like 50,75 for example .This can instant spool up bigger turbos and supercool intake charge and the size shot is normally magnified when used with a turbo. So 50 shot might yield 100 hp increase.

Combining nitrous with turbo is very common in import world where you have big turbos used causing a lot of lag frequently. With our v8s not as hard to spin up turbos but you can still oversize sometimes.

I have nitrous setup on my car but so far have not used it.Still have wiring to do on it but its otherwise installed. It was put on there partly for intimidation and for car shows. But it can still be functional and would run as said lower shots. Boost is free and nitrous costs money so smaller shots also save money.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Nitrous as said can hit hard or soft depending on if you use progressive controller on the nitrous or stage it ,etc. You do have to fill bottles of course and to do it right you could spend a lot on bottle openers,warmers,purge,etc.

nitrous of course has no lag ,no spool time just pretty much instant power when you hit the botton. This can also cause traction issues but again they do have progressive nitrous controllers to help in that area.

Also nitrous and turbos can work very well together usually then you run small shots like 50,75 for example .This can instant spool up bigger turbos and supercool intake charge and the size shot is normally magnified when used with a turbo. So 50 shot might yield 100 hp increase.

Combining nitrous with turbo is very common in import world where you have big turbos used causing a lot of lag frequently. With our v8s not as hard to spin up turbos but you can still oversize sometimes.

I have nitrous setup on my car but so far have not used it.Still have wiring to do on it but its otherwise installed. It was put on there partly for intimidation and for car shows. But it can still be functional and would run as said lower shots. Boost is free and nitrous costs money so smaller shots also save money.
Well said..... Well if you were like me and my nitrous when i had it hooked up, It was a damn addiction, i literally sold the **** so i would quit spending money, it was a problem for me, i hit that button once and was insta-hooked. Youll spend money fast. Turbo fo sho
Old 12-28-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by FreakChevy
Thinking to go with LSX440 or LSX440ci

I saw LMR TT Camaro vids and WOW!!! I don't think a big cubic w/400 shot would hold with that LMR monster

What do u think?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Launching!

Like the others on here, I had nitrous too, but I saw the "long term effect" on NOS compared to going forced induction. Like someone said on here earlier, the first time the NOS was sprayed, it was instant addiction. Those I took for a test drive said they never felt horsepower like that. Well, about a year after that, I rode with one of my "rice burner" buddies and he had a Honda Civic with 24 lbs of boost (turbo), running on race fuel. We did the math and it was obvious that a forced induction was the way to go. Dollar for dollar, the turbo will pay for itself in the long run and I plan on keeping my car set up for everyday durability. So, like someone else said, its like having NOS on all the time without the headache of refilling the bottle and worrying about the other issues that go with it.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nitrous is better for street racing. Turbo is better for street driving.

Is this a race car or a street car?

Throwing in the LSX440 just tells me that you need to do more reading. There is no need for 440ci in a turbo car that is anything other than a max effort race car. On a nitrous car, different story.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Launching!

i will be the first to say that nitrous can be a REAL pain in the @$$ and on anything over a 200 shot you get about 2 passes per bottle on a 300 its about 1 per bottle.......it was costing me ~ 200 bucks a night to run my car, not to mention checking plugs every pass got old real fast. me personally im going with a blower or turbo this go around

Quick Reply: Nitrous vs Turbo..HP VS RPM???