Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls in fox alternator? with no ps.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls in fox alternator? with no ps.

guys with ls in fox body mustangs what are you using for an alternator with no power steering ? please post pics also.

edit- what bracket set up are you using. truck? f body? .....

Last edited by danbap; 12-27-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a meziere eletric waterpump, so i ran the BMR alternator bracket for an F-body.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:08 PM
10 Second Club

You can mount the alternator directly to the block with no mount. Shim it out so the belt lines up with the crank pulley and measure for the belt. Get the tightest one you can and force it on. I've done it a few times and never had an issue.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
You can mount the alternator directly to the block with no mount. Shim it out so the belt lines up with the crank pulley and measure for the belt. Get the tightest one you can and force it on. I've done it a few times and never had an issue.
do you have a pic of this? i just cant picture it.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lt4malibu
i have a meziere eletric waterpump, so i ran the BMR alternator bracket for an F-body.

what size belt do you run?
Old 12-27-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by danbap
what size belt do you run?
Look here it says.
http://bmrfabrication.com/INSTALL/AB001.pdf
Old 12-27-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks, any one know how i could mark the hole in my 6.0 block to drill it to run the BMR bracket?
Old 12-27-2009, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

do you have a pic of this? i just cant picture it.
If you dont have the upper bolt hole then you will have to drill and tap it. Just use washers or some small tubing that the bolt can slide thru and use that for a spacer to space the alternator out to line up with the crank pulley. Here are a couple pics of mine with the vbelt setup. I had it mounted the same way with the asp balancer and serpentine belt on it.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks, do you have any type of adjustment or no? i know you can get v belts in all kind of sizes to "luck out" finding one but what about serp belts?
Old 12-27-2009, 07:40 PM
10 Second Club

thanks, do you have any type of adjustment or no? i know you can get v belts in all kind of sizes to "luck out" finding one but what about serp belts?
If you read what I said (lol) I did the same thing with a serpentine belt.. I ran it like this with a ASP balancer on 2 different engines and now I am using an ATI balancer with a aerospace drive mandrel for use with a Carb thats why its a vbelt now.

And yes you can get serpentine belts in just as many different lengths as any other type of belt. There is no adjustment whatsoever, but if you do it right you don't need any adjustment. Bolt the alternator to the block and use an old serp belt that is cut in half and measure how long it needs to be. Go to the parts store and buy 2-3 belts that are in that size range within .5 of each other. Take the top bolt out of the alternator so it can swing on the bottom bolt. Swing the alt towards the balancer and slip the belt on the pulleys. Then pull it back towards the frame rail and use a pry bar to pull it tight and hold it there while you stick the top bolt back in the alt/block. and tada all done!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:44 PM
10 Second Club

thanks, any one know how i could mark the hole in my 6.0 block to drill it to run the BMR bracket?
Since you have the bottom mounting hole just bolt the alternator up to the block using that one hole. Then swing the alternator into place and line it up with the blank boss on the front of the block. Now take a bolt and put some grease on the end of it and slide it thru the alt until it touches the face of the block. Now disassemble and use the greasy mark to drill your hole. Easy as apple pie!
Old 12-27-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok I'm just not sure if i like the fact there is no kind of adjustment. i think if i do it this way for one of the spacers ill use a plate and make a slot so there can be some adjustment. i know just to pivot it with a stock bracket that the L shape it just seemed with the BMR it would be a little tricker with the 2 piece bracket to get that hole in the block correct.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Launching!

I have truck accessories in mine
Cut the power steering off and rerouted the belt

This is the best pic I currently have

Old 12-28-2009, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

ok I'm just not sure if i like the fact there is no kind of adjustment. i think if i do it this way for one of the spacers ill use a plate and make a slot so there can be some adjustment. i know just to pivot it with a stock bracket that the L shape it just seemed with the BMR it would be a little tricker with the 2 piece bracket to get that hole in the block correct.
Thats cool, but mine has been 140mph in the 1/4 with the old set up and it should be 150 mph or so next time I hit the 1/4 track. It has seen 7000+ rpms as well and never had an issue. lol
Old 12-28-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok i guess it will work then
Old 12-30-2009, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Thats cool, but mine has been 140mph in the 1/4 with the old set up and it should be 150 mph or so next time I hit the 1/4 track. It has seen 7000+ rpms as well and never had an issue. lol
What alternator are you running? Do you know the Part Number for the ATI balancer you are running?
Old 12-30-2009, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by daschra79
What alternator are you running? Do you know the Part Number for the ATI balancer you are running?
I'm running the stock ls1 alternator.. When I went to the carb/distributor setup with the ATI balancer it isn't setup for a belt so I changed the pulley on the alternator from the serp to the v-belt pulley and I run it off the aerospace drive mandrel that I use for the aerospace vacuum pump. I can't remember the part# on the balancer, but if you call ATI they can help you out.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

any one else have any pics of there setup with a standard water pump(belt driven)? the electrics are a little pricey.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

you could try these guys
http://www.kwikperf.com/lsx_alt_only.html
Old 12-31-2009, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

I'm running the stock ls1 alternator.. When I went to the carb/distributor setup with the ATI balancer it isn't setup for a belt so I changed the pulley on the alternator from the serp to the v-belt pulley and I run it off the aerospace drive mandrel that I use for the aerospace vacuum pump. I can't remember the part# on the balancer, but if you call ATI they can help you out.
Thanks

Quick Reply: ls in fox alternator? with no ps.