Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

replacing wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default replacing wheel studs

So I'm going to plan on replacing my wheel studs tomorrow, just the fronts for right now.

Is there any special way to replace them? I know I have to remove the calipers and rotors but are there any special tools, or can I just tap them out with a hammer?
Old 12-27-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Basically just tap them out, and then pull the new ones in with a lug nut.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's what I read on-line I just wanted to see if there was any special way to do it. Thanks! I'll be getting them on tomorrow and I should have pics with my new glasstek hood also
Old 12-27-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by am_muscl
So I'm going to plan on replacing my wheel studs tomorrow, just the fronts for right now.

Is there any special way to replace them? I know I have to remove the calipers and rotors but are there any special tools, or can I just tap them out with a hammer?
You don't remove the calipers on the fronts. You will need your brakes to hold the wheel while putting in the new studs. You will need someone to press the brake pedal while putting them on if you're doing them by hand without a impact. I just got done doing the front and back this weekend.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by edzsilverss
You don't remove the calipers on the fronts. You will need your brakes to hold the wheel while putting in the new studs. You will need someone to press the brake pedal while putting them on if you're doing them by hand without a impact. I just got done doing the front and back this weekend.
I'm sure this method may work too but removing brakes will ensure a damage free installation if you happen to miss the stud with a hammer. Plus its a little harder to do with the brakes on.

Knock them out with a hammer and use an open ended lug nut like the OE style to pull them back in or a larger nut with a washer to act as a spacer if you have closed top lug nuts. Just so you don't bottom the nut out and destroy the covered end.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OreoLt1
I'm sure this method may work too but removing brakes will ensure a damage free installation if you happen to miss the stud with a hammer. Plus its a little harder to do with the brakes on.

Knock them out with a hammer and use an open ended lug nut like the OE style to pull them back in or a larger nut with a washer to act as a spacer if you have closed top lug nuts. Just so you don't bottom the nut out and destroy the covered end.
I didn't have a impact so I had to do something to keep the wheel from spinning while installing them. I'm sore as **** after doing all 20 lol. That's a heck of a workout using only a 4-way.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Use an impact with an open-end nut as mentioned before. I would put a bushing/washers over the stud so the nut isn't spinning directly on the hub. Spray the **** out of them and go in short bursts so you don't get too much heat in them. They do make a tool for this by the way...might be able to rent one
Old 12-30-2009, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by edzsilverss
I didn't have a impact so I had to do something to keep the wheel from spinning while installing them. I'm sore as **** after doing all 20 lol. That's a heck of a workout using only a 4-way.
I'll trade you those AFR heads for a 60-gallon air compressor and an impact..
Old 12-31-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I'll trade you those AFR heads for a 60-gallon air compressor and an impact..
I would but Im already done with the new studs lol

Quick Reply: replacing wheel studs