Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Swaping Cams

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Swaping Cams

I have a 5.3L that I want to swap the LS6 Cam into it. I know I will need the springs and the cam but what else would I need. Is this it?

Also since I have the engine on an engine stand would I be able to remove the rocker arms and springs, turn motor upside down, and then pull the cam, and slip the new one in without taking the heads off????

Thanks
Cory
Old 12-30-2009, 03:11 AM
...with cheese.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fab...ome-depot.html
Old 12-30-2009, 06:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need new front cover gasket, might as well replace the water pump gaskets, You could flip it but you need to make sure that you drain everything oil, and coolant are gonna go everywhere, Personally I would use buy 16 magnets. DO not trust the lifter boxes to hold them, one of them falling out will ruin your world.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:57 AM
TECH Junkie

doesn't the ls6 cam have a smaller base circle...requiring new pushrods...or at least the ones off the ls6 engine.

double check...
Old 12-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

So by using the dowels I wouldnt need to remove the heads. Thanks alot I think this is the route I am goin.

Originally Posted by teke184
doesn't the ls6 cam have a smaller base circle...requiring new pushrods...or at least the ones off the ls6 engine.

double check...
I will check into that. Thanks

Originally Posted by RARON455
You will need new front cover gasket, might as well replace the water pump gaskets, You could flip it but you need to make sure that you drain everything oil, and coolant are gonna go everywhere, Personally I would use buy 16 magnets. DO not trust the lifter boxes to hold them, one of them falling out will ruin your world.
There is no fluid in my motor as of now so it wont make a mess. But using this method will I have to remove the Heads? I Dont want to remove the Heads to do this job.