Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Supercharger or Heads/cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Supercharger or Heads/cam

I am currently working on getting a c6z06 and im very close. Quick question, I see the heads and cam swaps make good power and I like the fact that it is N/A. But A & A has the supercharger and it comes with a fuel upgrade. My question is what else would I need to upgrade besides the fuel system to support either one of these ideas? Also, considering that the supercharger kit comes with the fuel system upgrade what else will I need to upgrade?? Thanks guys..

Im a big Noob to vettes!
Old 12-30-2009, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Do you like the sound of a big lopey cam, and worse than stock gas mileage, or do you want it to sound and drive like stock until you put your foot in it?
Old 12-31-2009, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

nothing like raw power in my opinion, and i still consider a little bit of spray on top of the heads and cam raw power
Old 12-31-2009, 06:03 AM
12 Second Club

What hivoltagedriver said. The S/C will also hurt your already-minimal ground clearance, and make the car run hotter.

For supporting mods in either case figure a clutch.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

with the compression of a C6Z, you would be very limitted to the amount of boost you could run. i would do bolt ons, gears, then a cam. garyz has his C6Z kissing the nines with boltons, gears, & clutch.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:36 AM
FormerVendor

A lot of it depends on what your usage is going to be with the car in the future. If your a street and or drag guy, IMO the SC is better suited for making high HP, with expandability. If you intend on doing some road racing, staying NA would be our first recommendation.
You should try and check out cars that have both, to make your own decision of the drivability between the two, but feel free to call us if you would like to discuss your options, 609-752-0321. We offer a SC kit for the C6Z that is 100% complete, and offers the best torque of any centrifugal kit on the market today. Here are some examples.

http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.com/CustomerCars.html
Old 01-01-2010, 02:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want you want the sissy blower power....Get a Cobra....Thats why i got a z....Heads and cam all the way baby....Might sacrifice and cost a little more with cash and driveability...
Old 01-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Launching!

Just depends on what your goals are, and the usage of the car. I was going to go big *** heads and cam, but decided to go with the sc instead. That way I can keep my gas milage around the same where its at now anyway.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Well its probly never going to be tracked. Not a DD but wil drive it quite a bit. I have an actual DD that I use. I put around 34k miles in my DD in 3 years. So I dont drive very often and if I do everything is so close to me. So the vette will be driven often but not really lol. I do wanna want to go fast tho. I also have been thinking about a c5z06 and put a supercharger on that. I do have cash but the c6z06 will be makin life a little hard haha. I just bought a house so I might just get a zx10 for now and get a c6z06 down the road when Im making alot more money. Just 2 ideas that have been thrown around. THanks for all the advice!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Launching!

please dont be dumb go SUPERCHARGED

easy 600+ rwhp and great MPG
Old 01-04-2010, 05:14 AM
On The Tree

Thumbs up No question supercharge it

SUPERCHARGED! I was just about to post some results with my recent A&A decision. Less than a year ago i did h/c, plus vararam intake and lg exhaust. car was sick. sound was amazing and performance was definately there. Screwing around, blew the motor. Rebuilt the motor and decided to go back to stock. Hated it and will never listen to the wife about wanting a reliable date car. i then snuck on andy's kit including the cam he suggested. i thought she wouldn't be the wiser, until i cranked it. sounded awesome. made 607 to the rear with very consevative tune through stock intake and tb. car is unreal. andy's assistance was priceless because i had never done an install like that and it was a little intimidating. car has a very awesome sound with a bit of choppy still going through the cats. at no point under 90 mph can i stomp it and not loose traction, except at 50 because it starts a the very bottom of 2nd. long story short, just bought some z06 rims and nt05 tires(another Andy suggestion) and the rear only wide body kit. just want to see if it looks good, if not, I'll do the front.
pm me if you have any questions about andy and his stuff. they both rock,in my opinion. oh yeah it blows away the trick flow package i had before.

just to add; 9.5 lbs of boost at 6300 rpm with 3.75 pulley
Old 01-04-2010, 05:22 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=59

Take a look at this regular C6 in which we added our blower cam and a ProCharger D-1SC. Bob
Old 01-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Staging Lane

Damn man is that seriously it? can those c6 internals and blocks hold that amount of power? I cant be going thru engines like butter. Like I said I got cash but Its an expensive hobby lol. Also is that really all that you used? no extra injectors, etc etc?

The Shop-

Good stuff man. I have looked at some A & A stuff and I does look good! Its good to get some feedback on it cuz I was curious about A & A. For Funding reason I am probly gonna be going C5 now.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I would really go for just a nice cam with supporting mods;exhaust, CAI, tune..unless I'm mistaking, the stock injectors are good for that. Dont know about the fuel pump.

IMO, nothing dumb about N/A( better IMO, heard too many horror story on FI.. ) with a good cam because it wont hurt mpg that much and its safer; the LS7 was not enginered for boost. while you can be safe with low boost, nothing is better than a N/A engine...530-550 are feasible with cam and boltons..

If going FI, go with a VERY reputable shop, like EPP. The good thing about owning a nice modern GM LS engine is that you can hit high level of hp by staying N/A, why not stay N/A and beat most of the other FI cars(non lsx based ) hehe...but a strong FI can make gigantic hp numbers..

LS1 with H/C are not that much harder on mpg if any, unless auto.. and who cares about mpg anyway with a C6 Z06????

Last edited by Johnnystock; 01-04-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
I would really go for just a nice cam with supporting mods;exhaust, CAI, tune..unless I'm mistaking, the stock injectors are good for that. Dont know about the fuel pump.

IMO, nothing dumb about N/A( better IMO, heard too many horror story on FI.. ) with a good cam because it wont hurt mpg that much and its safer; the LS7 was not enginered for boost. while you can be safe with low boost, nothing is better than a N/A engine...530-550 are feasible with cam and boltons..

If going FI, go with a VERY reputable shop, like EPP. The good thing about owning a nice modern GM LS engine is that you can hit high level of hp by staying N/A, why not stay N/A and beat most of the other FI cars(non lsx based ) hehe...but a strong FI can make gigantic hp numbers..

LS1 with H/C are not that much harder on mpg if any, unless auto.. and who cares about mpg anyway with a C6 Z06????

HAHA. I never cared about MPG.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:37 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ballfroguy
Damn man is that seriously it? can those c6 internals and blocks hold that amount of power? .

They are surprisingly strong from the factory, we have almost 30 C6's that are at, or over, 700rwhp with nothing more then our base kit, meth inj, and headers. Otherwise untouched.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

how about a 200shot of nitrous??
Old 01-04-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Robert here did many 300pass but the internals gave up because he went lean. Otherwise he was doing good.

OP, did you ever got a highly modded car?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blower FTW. Better on economy, sounds better, makes more power while retaining driveability and doesn't require spring changes due to high lift. Blowers are also easier to upgrade and make more power.

Heads and Cam are an always-on situation. Even at the light, you sit there and lope around, sucking up gas when you're not even on it. They cause a lot of attention (both good and bad) but cops will always be paying attention to you. It's much harder to upgrade the heads/cam packages to make more power. Not like changing a pulley and tune for a blower.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
Robert here did many 300pass but the internals gave up because he went lean. Otherwise he was doing good.

OP, did you ever got a highly modded car?
I was...but I can get a new c6 with only a couple thousand miles. I saw a guy on a vid spray 200 shot and it was sick. It pulled on a procharged vette by like 3 cars.

Quick Reply: Supercharger or Heads/cam