Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want ls1!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want ls1!!

OK, First post here, so far the forum seems to be full of great information.

Here is the deal....I've owned a head/cam 95 Impala SS now for 7 years and loved every second of it, great car. However, a couple days ago I blew the bottom end of the car on the dyno (put down 362hp). This was the last part of the car still stock with 115,000miles. I think I've had my run with the car and Im sick of dealing with the horrible computer.

Im ready to move on to the next step, LS power. Im looking for some guidance into what platform I should get into. I honestly don't mind which car it is, Camaro, Firebird, GTO, I think they are all good looking and they all have LS1's.

I was wondering what to look for when buying one of these machines in reference to:
1. How many miles to look for? How do these engines handle miles and what is considered high?

2. M6 vs Auto?? I want the M6, but they are hard to find, and I don't want a car beat to hell.

3. This would be a weekend only car and I know right now I would probally being making a heads/cam car down the road, so which platform would be best?

Thank you.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ImpalaSS95

Here is the deal....I've owned a head/cam 95 Impala SS now for 7 years and loved every second of it, great car. However, a couple days ago I blew the bottom end of the car on the dyno (put down 362hp). This was the last part of the car still stock with 115,000miles. I think I've had my run with the car and Im sick of dealing with the horrible computer.

Im ready to move on to the next step, LS power. Im looking for some guidance into what platform I should get into. I honestly don't mind which car it is, Camaro, Firebird, GTO, I think they are all good looking and they all have LS1's.

I was wondering what to look for when buying one of these machines in reference to:
1. How many miles to look for? How do these engines handle miles and what is considered high?

2. M6 vs Auto?? I want the M6, but they are hard to find, and I don't want a car beat to hell.

3. This would be a weekend only car and I know right now I would probally being making a heads/cam car down the road, so which platform would be best?

Thank you.
If that's what you want...look around and be patient. I looked for about three weeks before I could find one that fit the bill. I wanted a Camaro for 14+ years before I finally bit the bullet and picked one up.

Camaro/firebird = same damn thing mechanically. The firebird just looks like *** (in my opinion). I can't even stand the looks of most Camaros though (ZR1 wheels are a must, to me). Check out the FAQ section. Camaro/Firebird = cheap performance (well under $10k) and the '04 GTO a bit more pricey but with an updated suspension and interior.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:10 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It really depends on what you TRULY want, and then what you're willing to spend. If you REALLY want an M6, buy an M6. If you want a certain color, GO for that color. You need to ask yourself what you want and then dream/plan accordingly. Then, decide on how much you can spend-with these two things in mind you'll hopefully find a good compromise and then be able to pick something up.

If I could do it all over again though, I'd prolly go with a an LS2 GTO M6; more power out of the box, better interior, blah blah blah...
Old 12-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you.
There is one right now you can buy, 02, 99k miles, LS6 block, M6 pewter camaro for $7K.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Teching In

99k seems a little high, one of my questions was how many miles is considered high on LS1's. I want a car that will last quite a few years and handle my mods/driving.

I don't know these motors to well, thats why I ask. I don't want a car that some 18 year old kid has been smoking the tires for 100,000 miles from stop light to stop light and now I add head/cam and the motor blows.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Trunion King

99k seems a little high, one of my questions was how many miles is considered high on LS1's. I want a car that will last quite a few years and handle my mods/driving.

I don't know these motors to well, thats why I ask. I don't want a car that some 18 year old kid has been smoking the tires for 100,000 miles from stop light to stop light and now I add head/cam and the motor blows.
99K miles is just barely breaking it in. However it is all depends on how the owner took care of it. The guy who is selling it seems to be very meticulous on maintaining of the car.

FWIW, I have 114K miles on my car, yes I drive it like I stole it however I take care of it like it is and will be my only car.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bane... details on the car? Got a link? I'm interested lol
Old 12-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Trunion King

https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-...r-7-900-a.html
Old 12-30-2009, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

a tad too far for me lol.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

LS6 block is not rare on 02's... big deal its still an LS1....
anyways..seriously just keep reading and researching THEN make your desicion!
Old 12-30-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by myk
It really depends on what you TRULY want, and then what you're willing to spend. If you REALLY want an M6, buy an M6. If you want a certain color, GO for that color. You need to ask yourself what you want and then dream/plan accordingly. Then, decide on how much you can spend-with these two things in mind you'll hopefully find a good compromise and then be able to pick something up.
Here was my MUST have list, and not one thing could be different:

'99+ Camaro Z28;
M6;
White;
Ground effects (Y3F);
White Leather Seats (778 in '99).

Guess what I got. A black T/A. No, just kidding. I found my car. Never thought it would happen, but I did. Drove 700 miles one way to get it.

I bought mine with 8x,xxx and it now has 125,xxx on it. Drove it from IL to Florida and back bone stock when I first got it. LS1-powered F-Bodies are super reliable. However, they seem like they're falling apart around you non-stop. It will be one "little" thing after another.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

For me..

I bought a stock 1995 Z28...I wanted to learn about cars.

I wanted a LS1 Car..so I swapped it and learned a bunch.

I wanted a M6..so I swapped it and learned some more..and trust me there was alot in between to.

Now I have a pretty quick car that is what I want.

I guess it comes down to how much you are willing to spend, the tools you have, and the time/resources you have..if you are the type that wants to learn and Tinker. I have a 1999 GMC Sierra that is my DD..it's hauled alot of parts around and is there for when the Camaro is apart. Then again the nature of the projects I tackle a DD Truck is a must.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Teching In

I am located in south florida
Old 12-30-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 113 Likes on 82 Posts

There are so many of these cars for sale. You can get a full bolt-on camaro/firebird with less than 50,000 miles for $8000-$11,000 in mint condition. I wouldn't settle for anything less. Yes there are many LS1's with over 150,000 miles. Would I buy one? Hell ******* no. I wouldn't buy an LS1 with over 50,000 miles, I don't care how well its taken care of. It just means less fun I can have with it. Less miles before it blows up. Like i said, sure there are a few over 150k-200k. But there are way more blowing up at 100k than are making it to 150k-200k.

If I were you, I would start looking out of state, Preferably from the south to avoid any rust you can get from the northen states (******* salt all over the roads, You wouldn't believe it if you lived up in maine but the tar is suppose to be black. Not ******* white.) Dont' buy that 02 camaro 35th anny with 99k miles unless he wants to unload it for 6k.. Theres just to many of these things going for dirt cheap.

You can buy z28 camaros with 100+ miles for 5 grand. Seriously. Just look in the classifieds and be patient. I waited 2 years to buy my current z28. I was very ******* patient and got a great deal, full bolt-ons/t-tops/low miles. Don't jump on anything til you COMPLETELY Sure thats what you want, and its a smoking deal.

Link to classifieds: https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicles-...wered-only-47/
Old 12-31-2009, 04:50 PM
Teching In

thanks for all the input, I am finding alot of cars for sale, unfortunately most of them are 300+miles away from me. I guess im just worried about driving across the whole state to look at a car and find out its a piece of junk!!

I really like the look of the ram air trans am, If I cannot find one of those them defininatly a camaro ss.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 113 Likes on 82 Posts

thanks for all the input, I am finding alot of cars for sale, unfortunately most of them are 300+miles away from me. I guess im just worried about driving across the whole state to look at a car and find out its a piece of junk!!

I really like the look of the ram air trans am, If I cannot find one of those them defininatly a camaro ss.
I took a bus 700 miles that took 2 days and 4 bus transfers (not including the drive back) with no food and just a couple bottles of water. I had only enough money for gas for the trip back, i ate nothing for 3 days. But I got my car. And it was worth it. If you wait around, you will hear about others that have traveled for their camaros/Trans ams. Its all about what you're willing to do to get what you want. If you really want it. Nothing will stand in between you and that car. Just my .02 cents.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Stay under a 100k miles and id do the 6spd for the fun factor....
Old 01-03-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My 98 has 145k miles and the only problems have been o2 sensors and a coil pack.