Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter relocate HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shifter relocate HELP

Ok, I nee to put my shifter closer to the engine, I have a 2001 ls1 t56 combo going into an 83 Supra.
Ive searched and found Kiesler has a relocation piece (although I did not see it on thier site), and that it's possible to open the forward inspection plate and "split" the shift rod to accomidate the shifter-I've asked two people how this is done per pm and have not gotten a reply from either......
So, question is, does anyone have any info on doing this?
I don't want to split my trans shift rod w/o some more info, so if anyone can help with this issue please let me know.
Thanks greatly in advance!
I could just set the engine forward, but I really want a car with great weight ratio front to back and I need to get the shifter off the E-brake and I'll also have to drop the engine cross member about 1.5" (RCA's to compensate).
Thanks again for looking.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mcleod (Now B&M?) was marketing a shisfter relocation kit also. Not sure if they still do. You can check there site for it. (www.mcleodind.com)

Basically to move the shifter to one of the forward inspection plates, you have to
disassemble about half the trans to get to the shifter rail out and to modify the rail some so that the shfiter will attach to the rail from the location you want. If you do some research on the forum on this subject, you will find a few hit along with my project work on the subject.

I only needed to move my shifter up about 4" forward, I found that the Viper T56 had the correct location (71 Chevelle with a bench seat). So I located a 1/2 modifed one (had the correct input shaft installed but didn't have the adapter plate swapped out for a GM pattern) and did the rest of the modification to work with the GM setup (clutch, throw out bearing, etc).

good luck

BC
Old 12-30-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you really get stuck another option is to shift to a TKO. The TKO is shorter from the get go and can mount the shifter pretty much anywhere.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bczee, I don't know if I'm brave enough to open my trans, I might try that if it's not too much of a hassel, or check out Mcleod for their relocation device.

Pop N Wood,
Already have a low mi trans and I don't want to spend a ton-o-money for a different trans-my current build should be money in my pocket after all is said and done....if I can sell some of this spare stuff, anyone need a jdm front sump 2jzgte of a 01 Camaro convertible top?
Thanks for the info fella's