Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is this right??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 01:25 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this right??

I was at the shop today repairing my lower control arm (blew a bushing, ug) ... when I accidentally hit my wheel with my elbow. I noticed the wheel turned effortlessly (as if it were the front wheel). I thought that was odd since I remember it always giving me some sort of resistance, however small it may have been.
I then spun the wheel and noticed the other one didn't move at all, even though it was turning the driveshaft. I called over one of the mechanics and showed him, and after a few minutes of thinking about it, he came to the conclusion that since my car has a posi, only one wheel will spin and the other one won't move.
Now, I don't remember how that works, but I could've sworn it was the other way around. I thought if you turned one wheel, the other one would turn backwards (or at least that's how I remember my car doing it the last time I rotated the tires and was spinning them).
I know this is a pretty basic question, but I always get confused on this stupid little ****. Are both tires supposed to be spinning? Is the wheel supposed to spin as freely as say the front wheel does, with almost no resistance whatsoever? When I blew up my driveshaft a few weeks ago could I have possibly destroyed my posi unit?

Thanks guys. damn car ....
Old 12-18-2003, 06:02 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Torson posi rears work like that.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:24 AM

I have a stock 10 bolt rear, doesn't it come with an Auburn posi?
I know I have moved these before and it gave me a much harder time than it did the other day, which is what makes me wonder ...
Old 12-18-2003, 05:48 PM

ttt ttt
Old 12-18-2003, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Limited slip will only lock both tires in a traction limited situatiion, in the air it will not spin both like a "true posi"

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential6.htm