General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Weather Stripping....

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weather Stripping....

Ok, I'm asking where to buy it for a 2000 Trans Am with t-tops that isn't $200 a side. I'm not asking how to repair it, how to find out where it's leaking, etc! I'm asking where to buy it for cheap lol. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Banned

The part I'm looking for is the piece that runs along the whole door up around the t-top area, etc...
Old 01-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Salvage Yard. You may try Cleveland Pick-A-Part. They specialize in LS1 cars and can probably get you a decent set with little wear.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Banned

thanks for the info, just sent them an e-mail, hopefully they can help me
Old 01-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Save the manuals!

Do you just have a leak in one place or is your current weatherstripping rotted out?
Old 01-03-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99
Salvage Yard. You may try Cleveland Pick-A-Part. They specialize in LS1 cars and can probably get you a decent set with little wear.
That will work, but keep in mind the salvage yard parts will be at least 8 years old at this point.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Banned

ive got major leaks on the passenger side, i mean you can see in this pic where it just leaks all over the seat and into the back, and leaks at the front of the door into the footwell.

in the process of painting btw

Old 01-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Save the manuals!

Nice seats!

We commonly have adjustment issues with the weatherstripping around the windows - so you might want to hold off on getting new parts. Your picture looks good, so I'd guess that you either just need to adjust the window or fix a more sinister problem in the door...

Is the rubber weatherstripping pliable and soft? If so, you should not need to replace it. (I also assume you aren't getting leakage between the T-Top panels.)

First, I'd suggest popping off the door panel and making sure:
- The regulator is firmly attached to the door. Do the four regulator rivets move when you operate the window? (They should not.) Have the rivets firmly in place? Are they tearing in to the door panel? (All of these things can impact the geometry of the window and prevent it from sealing properly.)
- The rear window guide is intact. This guide runs vertically at the very back of the door. The roller/guide is known to brake away from the metal bracket riveted to the window glass, which can throw off how the window closes.

Second, if all of the mechanicals look good, you should be able to check the reveal of the glass from the outside of the car. Compare the driver's side to the passenger's side and see if the distance from the top of the glass to the top of the weatherstripping is different and if the seal is tight. If its not tight, there are two white plastic top stops on the inside of the door that restrict how far the glass closes against the weatherstripping. (There is a bolt for each that you can loosen and adjust the position of the stop.)

If your glass is also pulled away from the weatherstripping, there are other adjustments you can do - but this condition usually leads to popping and other nasty stuff that you'd hear/notice. Feel free to post pictures of your glass/weatherstripping reveal and I can compare to what I have.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Banned

thanks for all the information man! that should really help, i'll have to check that out next day off. i do need a new window motor as well so when i replace that i'll get to make sure everything is correct.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by dirtybird236
thanks for all the information man! that should really help, i'll have to check that out next day off. i do need a new window motor as well so when i replace that i'll get to make sure everything is correct.
Another one - If your motor is on the way out with a common thermal resistor failure, it may not have enough travel to seal against the weatherstripping correctly.

Quick Reply: Weather Stripping....