Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost controller recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 03:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost controller recommendation

Id love an eboost2 but its not in the budget right now. Is there a cheaper electronic or manual boost controller that you would recommend? I was looking at the Turbo XS dual stage, its basically 2 manual boost controllers with an electronic actuator between them connected to a toggle switch. Any help is welcome?! You can always PM me non-vendor links also, thanks!
Old 01-02-2010, 03:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look up hallman boost controllers. i used to use these back in my turbo eclipse days
Old 01-02-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Forge

Ive got a practically brand new (FORGE) (UNOS) spring and ball type manual boost controler (in black) that i paid like $100 for that ide let you have for $50 shipped if intrested.I ended up just putting the bigger WG springs in a month ago on my APS TT

Last edited by barnat; 01-02-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:04 PM
9 Second Club

i here that AMS 500 i think is a good one with a low price from what im told
Old 01-02-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbosmart has the cheaper electronic controller out now.Eboost 2 is nice but is a bit pricey. You can as said go for manual ones for now they will work fine just don't give you some fancy options that the more expensive electronic ones can. Ams 500 seems to also be around eboost2 pricing I thought. I passed on the ams controllers as couldn't see where would mount them .The eboost2 is perfect in vents in the tas.

Barnats manual one sounds like a good deal for now for you. Then save up for nice electronic one down the road.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Save your money and buy the right one the first time. Rig up a manual until you have the cash. I run the AMS500 and it is super simple and super accurate. The down side is that you have to mount it under the hood because the MAP sensor is built into the unit and the longer the run to the sensor, the less accurate it is.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

If you are looking for a cheap controller I would not waste my money on a junk turbosmart manual controller. Unless you like boost spikes, also no need for an expensive unit like an AMS unless you are looking to run some serious numbers.

McMastercarr.....get a low pressure air regulator and run it off the top of the gate. Rock solid boost with no spikes.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

how about the AEM Trueboost?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run a Joe P manual one along with a GM boost solenoid. This allows me to run on the spring(5lbs) and when I push a button on the floor, it goes to 11lbs, so two stages, all for a lot cheaper than that turboxs dual stage one.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:14 AM
mcx
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hellbents10
If you are looking for a cheap controller I would not waste my money on a junk turbosmart manual controller. Unless you like boost spikes, also no need for an expensive unit like an AMS unless you are looking to run some serious numbers.

McMastercarr.....get a low pressure air regulator and run it off the top of the gate. Rock solid boost with no spikes.

any chance you have part number and pix of the air reg you used from MCMASTER CARR??...They have tons listed.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by mcx
any chance you have part number and pix of the air reg you used from MCMASTER CARR??...They have tons listed.
plus 1 for more info on this
Old 01-03-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aem tueboost is a decent controller for he money, it was a little difficult for me to set it up properly, but it does the job
Old 01-03-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

the absolute best boost controller money can buy are called JS boost controllers, they are designed to out perform any boost controller on the market while costing a very small fraction of the cost. if you search youtube for JS boost controllers you will see demos and if you go to www.j-k-tuning.com you can order them, they sell for 50 bucks shipped for a single stage , 100 shipped for a dual stage that allows you to run wastegate on the first stage and a adjustable second stage and a dual stage for 130 shipped that allows you to adjust both stages. please dont let the looks of the design fool you, that was all done to keep cost very low while focusing on absolute perfect performance. i know over 15 people using this controller including my self and they work AMAZING.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

msd has an electronic one for like 350 that u can ramp and also save tunes and re-load tham at a later date

ams-500 or ams-1000 if ur gonna be racing

i have used the aem tru-boost in 2 cars and thy work very good also with 2 boost setting and an off setting

essentially u have 3 boost setting but no rampng
Old 01-03-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love my eboost 2, I was gonna go cheap at first but decided to do it right and buy some of the things I really wanted
Old 01-04-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lavoy
the absolute best boost controller money can buy are called JS boost controllers, they are designed to out perform any boost controller on the market while costing a very small fraction of the cost. if you search youtube for JS boost controllers you will see demos and if you go to www.j-k-tuning.com you can order them, they sell for 50 bucks shipped for a single stage , 100 shipped for a dual stage that allows you to run wastegate on the first stage and a adjustable second stage and a dual stage for 130 shipped that allows you to adjust both stages. please dont let the looks of the design fool you, that was all done to keep cost very low while focusing on absolute perfect performance. i know over 15 people using this controller including my self and they work AMAZING.
If only I had seen this last night! I bought a dual stage TurboXS for 100 shipped
Old 01-04-2010, 12:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSilverSSurfer
I love my eboost 2, I was gonna go cheap at first but decided to do it right and buy some of the things I really wanted
Does your boost by gear work?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Veteran

I would like to hear from anyone that has boost by gear on eboost2 working with auto and how exactly they got it to work. Boost by rpm sounds ok for street and boost by time for track but boost by gear might be best for either track or street.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I would like to hear from anyone that has boost by gear on eboost2 working with auto and how exactly they got it to work. Boost by rpm sounds ok for street and boost by time for track but boost by gear might be best for either track or street.
both of the JS dual stage allow for a boost by gear set up however you need a way to trigger between the stages, most managements for hondas allow this to be done by RPM or gear and or MPH , i am still new to the LS1 stuff but i dont think the ECU can do it, your options would then be a RPM switch, a micro switch that gets triggered by the shifter being in certain gears, or a simple switch that you can activate or deactivate on your own. unless HP tuners allows the ECU to ground out puts based on MPH or gear like a honda ECU can.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
If only I had seen this last night! I bought a dual stage TurboXS for 100 shipped
sorry to hear, i have one of those laying on the work bench i could have gave yah, the problem with them is they use a bleeder for the second stage which severely limits the range of boost you can set between stage one and stage 2 . granted on a LS1 we dont run huge numbers of boost like the imports so this might not be as much of a issue.

Quick Reply: Boost controller recommendation