New to TX and got a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New to TX and got a ticket

I was just stationed down in san antonio and i got a ticket today. Is it worth the hassel to go to court? Also do they put points on your license if its from out of state?
Old 01-02-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

What's the ticket for?
Old 01-02-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Type of ticket is a factor we're missing. And what the hell is this points you speak of?
Old 01-02-2010, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

in texas if you read the website if you get moving violations you have to pay 100 dollars a year to keep your license. if you get another ticket it goes up. Check it out....

http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/point-sy..._System_Basics

"Point System Basics
In Texas, as in much of the country, the point system was originally conceived as a way of tracking bad drivers in a consistent manner. A set number of "points" were pinned to a driver's record for certain traffic infractions, and those who accumulated too many points were sanctioned accordingly (usually a license suspension).

Then a few years back, it was recognized that this same point system could also be a convenient way to increase income for the states. Some, including Texas, have adopted a system that tracks violations and then applies financial "assessments" on drivers who accumulate a certain number of points. In a nutshell, these drivers must pay a huge additional penalty every year for three years.

Violations that in the past would have merely incurred temporary license suspensions and possibly lead to an increase in insurance rates now also become three-year financial nightmares (and big moneymakers for the states using this method).

TOP Driver Responsibility Program
In Texas, this program is called the Driver Responsibility Program, or DRP. The good news is that some violations do not incur points. A traffic ticket for traveling less than 10% over the speed limit is not counted, and seat belt violation tickets also do not count (child safety seat violations do, though).

TOP Beware of a Brutal Point System
But the bad news is that Texas has a relatively low point count before heavy penalties start kicking in―just six points in three years. And Texas doesn't split hairs when it comes to which offenses result in how many points; it's cut-and-dried:

One moving violation is two points.
A moving violation resulting in an accident is three points.
Besides the whopping dent in your pocketbook under the DRP program, four moving violations in 12 months or seven moving violations in 24 months will also get your license suspended. The more egregious violations do not accumulate points, but that's not necessarily good news―see "Conviction-based Surcharges," below.

In addition to having your license suspended for habitual traffic citations, you risk paying increasingly heavy fines on an annual, repeating basis by accumulating points. So drive safely and save your hard-earned cash!

TOP What Can It Cost You?
There is almost no upper limit to what violations can cost you in fines, and if you choose to defend yourself against the charges, you can be hit with substantial legal fees as well. As a rule of thumb, any serious violation such as a DWI or violations that put you over the point limit will cost you several thousand dollars over three years.

For example, if you have a moving violation, you will have to promptly pay the fine for that ticket, whatever that may be. In many places, that would be the end of it except for lingering damage to your insurance rating and the potential to have your license pulled if the points add up too high.

But if you rack up six points on your license by the end of the year, you then have to also pay a $100 "assessment surcharge." And that amount goes up by $25 for each subsequent point over six. For each year that you have six or more points still on your license, you will have to pay the $100 fee again, along with $25 each for each point above six."
Old 01-04-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

Yep, and which causes poor people to not be able to hold a driver's license, and since they can't hold the drivers license they say "Why have insurance then?" and hit your car, and you're fucked.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:34 AM
12 Second Club

I have used defensive driving courses and deferred judgement to have all my speeding tickets removed.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by electricz28
I have used defensive driving courses and deferred judgement to have all my speeding tickets removed.
works great as long as your not going to fast or get too many.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:24 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Domsz06
works great as long as your not going to fast or get too many.
Very true...and if you don't have a DOT lic
Old 01-04-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

It depends on the county where you got the ticket. You basically pay the fine to the county. If you do not get another ticket within the probation period, it will not go on your insurance. Some probation periods are 24 hours, others are 365 days...
Old 01-04-2010, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro Junky
It depends on the county where you got the ticket. You basically pay the fine to the county. If you do not get another ticket within the probation period, it will not go on your insurance. Some probation periods are 24 hours, others are 365 days...
that's not entirely true.

It depends on your insurance. every ticket you get is on your record, unless your found not guilty. If you pay a fine, go to school etc it's on there. I looked at my record and it had everything on there, just a matter of which one's had points which didn't. Some insurances look at tickets regardless of points. Just kind of depends. When I lost my insurance for a wreckless it was because they said I had too many past instances. (even though I had gone to school etc.) The ticket was still there and the underwriter said I was at too much of a risk.

But for the most part if you go to school, stay clean and don't get another one in your probationary period you will be A. ok! If your in question go talk to your insurance person.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Domsz06
that's not entirely true.

It depends on your insurance. every ticket you get is on your record, unless your found not guilty. If you pay a fine, go to school etc it's on there. I looked at my record and it had everything on there, just a matter of which one's had points which didn't. Some insurances look at tickets regardless of points. Just kind of depends. When I lost my insurance for a wreckless it was because they said I had too many past instances. (even though I had gone to school etc.) The ticket was still there and the underwriter said I was at too much of a risk.

But for the most part if you go to school, stay clean and don't get another one in your probationary period you will be A. ok! If your in question go talk to your insurance person.
If you take def. driving or get it deferred it will not show on your record. I have had more than my share of speeding tics and none of them show. Only if you pay the fine which is just a way of admitting guilt.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by electricz28
If you take def. driving or get it deferred it will not show on your record. I have had more than my share of speeding tics and none of them show. Only if you pay the fine which is just a way of admitting guilt.
guess it depends on the state. I know I have taken it in OK where I used to live, and they were all still on it when I pulled it in CA, no points, and didn't show anything but they were all still there. That's the only reason I said that.

In TX i asked when I was getting my tags and what not and she said I just had old old stuff on there and it wasn't an issue..... Guess I should have asked to see what exactly was showing...