Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, I'm new to the LS1 world...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question So, I'm new to the LS1 world...

So, I've lived in the LT1 world for so long the only thing I know about LS1's is that I don't pair up next to them at the track, lol. Anyway, I'm about to pick up a 99 Trans Am. Its a NBM 6spd, t-top, leather car. The only modification that has been done is a flowmaster muffler which I intend to change. So...the only thing I know I will be doing is a Hurst Billet Plus shifter with the chrome handle and a black round **** and putting my TT2's from the LT1 on it. Aside from that I don't have the slightest clue what to do. I'm still unsure of what catback I want because I loved my gmmg when I had it on the LT1 but it was so loud with headers, and cam that it wasn't fun to drive any more. I couldn't hear the radio or have a conversation without raising my voice and I'm not really wanting that this time around. I was thinking about the magnaflow but never heard one on an LS1. So I'm open to any suggestions you guys have because I don't know a single person that owns an LS1 powered car (all my friends have LT1's) and aside from a catback (which I'm undecided on) and the shifter, I have no clue where to start. Also, its just a regular T/A so it doesn't have the cool hood scoops. I'd like to make it a functional ram air without changing the hood but I'm not sure if it can be done because there are no holes in the hood. Thanks in advance guys, I really appreciate your thoughts.

Chris
Old 01-02-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this a joke? not trying to be rude but with 517 posts and you can't answer these questions i have to ask.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

517 post and I've never once flipped through the ls1 section of this site. Sorry to sound so stupid but I was actually anti ls1 till I drove this car. I really don't know anything about them other than they are fast and easier to work on. Sorry...
Old 01-02-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, I've done some searching but there are so many posts and so much different info there's just not enough time to look through all of them.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Well you would see good power gains with a ls6 intake and headers for around $600 then what ever the rest would cost for the cat back...also if someone hasn't done it yet and you don't get smog tested do an egr and a.i.r. delete mod
Old 01-02-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a good mellow cat back would be a magnflow. that's what i have with pacesetter longtubes and ORY and it sounds really nice, and you don't have to raise your voice to talk. take a look at the "so you wanna be fast" sticky up top and it would answer a lot of your questions as a ls1 newbe. didn't mean to sound like an ******* but some guys here post up stuff like this to be funny. good luck with your new ls1!
Old 01-02-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. Not trying to be funny. Just trying not to waste as much money this time around as I did with the LT1 the first time around, lol.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

lid
LT's (whatever you have money for) ORY and IMO maganaflow is PERFECT for a DD.. It is very noticeable at idle and loud outside of the car while driving around but VERY VERY tame on the inside. At WOT it SCREAMS!
gears
ported TB
ls6 intake
tune
clutch
LCAs/TQ arm/SFCs

That should get you started...
Old 01-02-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I looked through the stickies. Lots of good info. Any body have any good advice as far as what not to buy. From what I've looked through the slp y pipe looks like a waste. Any other things to watch out for?
Old 01-03-2010, 01:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
So I looked through the stickies. Lots of good info. Any body have any good advice as far as what not to buy. From what I've looked through the slp y pipe looks like a waste. Any other things to watch out for?
I would keep stock MAF.. Stay away from SLP headers as well, hang WAY too low. The GFs TA isn't even lowered and it scrapes everywhere..

Besides that, can't think of too much, at least not for basic bolt ons.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

GMMG I'm baised and I see you had it on your other car.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

GMMG > *

Old 01-03-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Had it, not any more. Thought it sounded amazing on my LT1 but it was just too loud. My true duals are quiter than the gmmg. So a LS6 intake and headers. What's different about the intake? Also, I was looking at the slp flopack cai setup and I noticed that there were two different ones. One for the 98-00 and the 01-02. What's the difference? Also, my state doesn't have emissions or any inspection as a matter of fact so just about anything goes so long as the cops stay away.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any other suggestions guys? I'm leaning towards the magnaflow with the quad tips. Also, was doing some searching for the difference in lids and really didn't find what I was looking for but I did find a really cool clear lid but read a lot of bad things about it. Does anyone know if one is made that doesn't have a cracking problem? One last thing, should I just get a lid and filter or should I get an slp flow pack that has the lid, filter, seals, metal tab, and bellows also? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Launching!

I have the slp flo pac on my car, only reason I got it is because it was cheap used off of ebay. Most people say its a waste, just get a lid and a FTRA or something of the sort (fast toys ram air, just do a search). I have not had much experience with different lids and such, but from what I read, the SLP seems to fit the best (don't hold me to that, Mine fit like it was stock however), though it may leave 1 or 2 hp on the table compaired to someone elses or not look as cool, I would rather it fit good and not have to worry about it coming unlatched or not sealing like with some lids. As for the below, some people use a fernco from homedepot or lowes, with varrying results.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Junkie

other than appearance...most lids are the same performance wise.

however...there are some out there that are bigger opening...like 100mm compared to 75mm. really won't make much difference since the MAF is 75mm and the TB is 75mm. also the dif between the years is in the location of the AIR inlet. earlier cars have it separate, later ones have it in the lid. minimal difference really.

cracking generally relates to those who put the stiffer bellow between the lid/maf and the TB. as the engine twists...it puts alot of pressure on the Lid...sometimes causing cracking. stick to the stock bellow and you're fine.

magnaflow is a great catback.
but if you really liked how the TDs sounded...why not go for that. great power, and great sound.

the SLP pac is generally overpriced. the lid and cai are the only worthwhile parts. and there are better ones out there (performing and looking).

the Fast Toys Ram Air (ftra) and the Super Sucker Ram Air (ssra) are the most popular cai.

LS6 intake is worth 7-10rwhp dyno proven over the ls1 intake. easy bolt on with minor changes to the coolant tubes. and the intake is always available used on here or ebay.

beyond that...jsut start reading around. take notes and ask specific questions. its hard to answer a post with general and vague questions on a multiple of topics.

enjoy the car
Old 01-04-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

a lid is a lid, they're all the same. don't waste your time on smooth bellows or bigger mafs. go to installuniversity.com and start reading around
Old 01-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Trunion King

Since it floods in AR, don't buy any CAI aka SSRA or FTRA. Just do the FRA mod, lid, stick w/ stock bellow, LS6 intake, descreen your maf or not, longtube headers, Y pipe exhaust system or true duals. For shifters, either go w/ hurst billet shifters, or the new fad, MGW shifters.

EDIT: I forgot to add, do a tune. LS1s are pig rich on stock setting. IIRC, mine was @ low 11s AFR.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:50 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mike135531bubba
a lid is a lid, they're all the same. don't waste your time on smooth bellows or bigger mafs. go to installuniversity.com and start reading around
He seems to know what's up.

Originally Posted by lemons12
I would keep stock MAF.. Stay away from SLP headers as well, hang WAY too low. The GFs TA isn't even lowered and it scrapes everywhere..

Besides that, can't think of too much, at least not for basic bolt ons.
The newer versions are not as bad as the old one that do definitely hang low. Pacesetter is usually one of the best bang for the buck headers out there though.

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Thanks. Not trying to be funny. Just trying not to waste as much money this time around as I did with the LT1 the first time around, lol.
Make sure you check the for sale section and strike up some deals.

Shifters and Catbacks: They are gonna vary from car to car. As far as shifters go I was most happy with my hurst billet plus over the factory hurst. Its not mushy feeling at all. Pick a stick that feels good in your hand. I didnt think I would like the stick that came with the Billet Plus because it was angled toward me. I will tell you one thing though, I never hit that brickwall going from 2nd to 3rd ever since I installed it. As far as catbacks go, if you have an exhaust shop near you that can do mandrel bends, design your own and pick your own muffler. Sounds like you dont want a loud car this time around, so I would get a chambered muffler like a Magnaflow or something.

I am in no way telling you to "not buy and SLP product" but you won't get the RWHP that they claim. Its only at the flywheel unless you have a factory freak bottom end with a 11.5:1 CR somehow.

Honestly, if I could go back to that cold November day in 2002 when I bought my HOSS I would have set aside money for an LS6 cam and a procharger. That takes care of more than half the stuff we are discussing in here. Money being a factor in that equation of course.

Most of us here have been around the block (literally) on the LS1,2,3,6,7 lowdown for nearly a decade, so don't hesitate to ask, heck, PM me any questions you have. I'm more than happy to help!

You may have been slow as an LT1, and I bet that 2.73 gear ratio wasnt helping you out much either.

Last edited by orangeapeel; 01-04-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:05 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
GMMG > *

You are no help!