Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch / Flywheel advise for conversion race car

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch / Flywheel advise for conversion race car

I am in the process of putting a LS1 / T56 in my Miata. The car will be a gutted track only car. (road course)

I have read many of the high rpm shifting issues and would like some advise before purchasing a clutch.

I will be using a Wilwood clutch master cylinder and currently have a like new factory LS6 clutch and flywheel. It would be nice if I could use this clutch without issues, but I am willing to buy another clutch if it will save me headaches in the future.

I am looking for an aluminum flywheel right now, but need to be sure that I will be staying with the LS6 clutch.

High rpm shifting issues are my biggest concern.

Will I be OK with the LS6 clutch and Wilwood MC? or should I buy a LS7 Clutch?

Most of my shift will be at or close to redline, and I don't want to do this twice. I'd really like to hear some input from those of you that track your cars.

While were at it...Any advise on aluminum flywheels? Fidanza or Spec?

Thanks!

Shawn
Old 01-02-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

i wouldn't buy an LS7 clutch...if your going to buy a new clutch get a Monster. i would also get a Tick Performance master cylinder
http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...body/packages/
Old 01-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the input 6pack, but I am not able to run a tick MC. I have a Wilwood MC that I will be using.

This a Mazda Miata, not a GM product.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

the wilwood is probably just as good. they make quality products. as for the clutch...i would just stick with the ls6 you have until it starts slipping. i have the stock ls6 clutch in my car. it has 81k miles, close to 100 1/4 mile passes on it, and about 10 burnouts a day for the past 3years...as well as lot of dumps and highway racing. the car puts down 393rwhp off the spray and 480rwhp/512rwtq on the spray. the clutch has only slipped once or twice. i would say that the ls6 clutch is pretty stout. however, i will be ordering a monster clutch on monday morning since i am getting my trans rebuilt anyways. good luck with the build! sounds badass!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

You didn't give any specifics on the motor, so I can't recommend a specific level of clutch, but I highly recommend the Monster line of clutches. They are awesome, will hold anything you throw at them, are available in complete kits with everything you need, and have the best customer service - hands down. They also have a lightweight (18lb) billet steel flywheel. It is a little heavier than the aluminum FW's but it can be turned and reused more than once if needed. Call them and tell them what you are doing with it, and they will let you know which one will work best for you.

817-750-2000
Old 01-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Hey fourwhls, I asked the same question earlier and I'm still not sure what clutch to use. Like you, I'm trying to keep the weight down as much as possible. I did find a Fidanza Al. flywheel in the classifieds that I will be using. I would probably go with Monster if they offered a clutch only kit. Unfortunately the only sell their kits including a flywheel. Hopefully there is a good option that will surface.

Michael (TheBandit on M.net)
Old 01-05-2010, 09:44 AM
FormerVendor

If reduced weight is your main concern then I think you would be very pleased with our Aluminum Pressure-Plate and Aluminum Flywheel which can be used with any of our 7 different single-disc clutch offerings. You can find specifics for our single disc offerings below:

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/2000/Single

You could also opt for our Low-Inertia Mini-Twin clutch package as well which will be even lighter. This unit would provide your with a completely rebuildable assembly that would easily handle the rigors of road-race usage. In fact, I have a few LS powered cars running this kit in several of the European and Australian Touring Car Series. I have provided a link to the Mini-Twin specific webpage below:

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy...2000/Mini_Twin

Please take a look at these pages and let me know if you have any further questions. I have always been a big fan of the Monster Miata and have been lucky enough to work with several owners of these impressive conversions of the years and am thus sure that I can help you find exactly what you are looking for. Thanks and let me know if you have any further questions.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Jeremy, do you have any weight #'s for the traditional steel PP and clutch and then the same with in the Al. PP option?

Thanks,

Michael
Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 AM
FormerVendor

Sure! The steel unit has a shipped weight (for a stage 3 kit including the disc, plate and bearings) of ~28-lbs (actual weight of the parts minus packaging would be ~26-lbs). The Aluminum-Pressure-plate option shaves ~5-lbs from the total assembly weight making the total about 21-lbs without packaging. The Flywheel isn't included in the weights listed above but it has a packaged weight of 14-lbs and an actual weight of ~12.5-lbs. This makes the grand total 33.5-lbs (give or take a couple of ounces).

The Mini-Twin, which is sold as a complete package including the flywheel has a shipped weight of 25-lbs and an actual weight of ~23-lbs.

I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

aren't most "high rpm shifting issues" a result of the crappy MC that gm put in the Fbody?

one of which being the restriction that the "drill mod" addresses?

can't say i've really heard of other shifting issues...besides slipping.

the LS6 is a nice clutch. but if you're gonna do it once..do it right.

the way my Fidanza FW mated to the Spec 4 spins up is insane. i notice it most when the tires break free...i'm at redline in an instant.

little tricky driving around town, but its also in a full weight Fbody with a solid disc clutch.

upgrade the clutch (one step above the power you plan) and stick a light flywheel in (alum or billet steel)....you WON'T be disappointed.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to hijack but Jeremy - what is the RWT capacity of the 3+?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2010, 10:45 AM
FormerVendor

The LS1 based Stage 3+ is rated to handle 967lb.-ft. at the crank.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
The LS1 based Stage 3+ is rated to handle 967lb.-ft. at the crank.
LOL - Thanks Jeremy. I think I'll be good with the NA 427.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:18 PM
FormerVendor

Me too! Just let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Clutch / Flywheel advise for conversion race car