General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeaks coming from my passenger front wheel....

Old 01-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaks coming from my passenger front wheel....

what could it be? It's an intermittent squeak that only occurs when I'm moving, and then only after about 10 minutes or so of driving. The speed of the squeak seems to be constant with wheel rotation. Last week I had my brake pads changed and rotors resurfaced, before the change there was a squeak but not as noticeable as it is now. I also noticed that the squeak/noise seems to disappear/fade some when I apply the brakes. I'm sure if the mechanic had noticed something with the wheel barrings, etc. he would've tried to get more money out of me, since he went over everything that might been worn off or needed work. He saw nothing else other than the pads.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Teching In

before changing the pads I thought the squeak might have been a loose belt, but I also changed the ac compressor and alternator belts.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Its probably your bearings. They are not really that easy to test unless they are so far shot that the wheel wobbles. To confirm, you can take the wheel and brake caliper off and then turn the hub by hand. If you hear/feel grinding, then you'll know the bearings are bad.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
Its probably your bearings. They are not really that easy to test unless they are so far shot that the wheel wobbles. To confirm, you can take the wheel and brake caliper off and then turn the hub by hand. If you hear/feel grinding, then you'll know the bearings are bad.
But wouldn't the bearing be a constant noise? Like I said, this squeak occurs only when the car has been running for a bit and it's an intermittent sound. On my drive to work this morning I only heard it after about 5 or so miles of driving, and it was only barely audible. I'm guessing it'll be louder later today when it warms up. I also find it odd that the sounds seems to dissapear when I apply the brakes, I'm guessing that if it was the bearings the sound would continue as usual?
Old 01-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Save the manuals!

Not necessarily. Heat and load can change what's going on inside of the hub. (The loading of the bearing changes when the brakes are applied.)

The sounds/behavior of a failed bearing can vary from car to car. (For example, when mine gave out, they only made noise when braking.)

It could be something else, but you can't rule the bearings out. Their life also varies. My originals from the factory only lasted me 75K miles before they started making noise.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Launching!

doesnt sound like bearings at all....bad bearings all sound the same, they dont squeek. its most likely in your brakes. if the noise always goes away under braking, than it is obviously related to the brakes. check the harware, make sure its clean, make sure under the harware is clean, make sure your pads move freely inside the caliper. if someone else did it, bring it back and tell them it makes noise.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 98pontiac
doesnt sound like bearings at all....bad bearings all sound the same, they dont squeek.
Actually, the ones on these cars can squeak - and can sound just like brakes. (Of course, they can also sound like traditional popping bearings.) Lots of threads on this...
Old 06-26-2011, 08:49 PM

I have a 98 firebird with trans rims and I'm having the same problem. I pulled the rim off and the caliper is scraping the inside of my rim. & I'm completely lost on what to do about. I've spoke to a few people about it and they said they've never heard of that type of problem.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheel bearings can squeak and ive got plenty of experience in the auto repair industry to know. Its not as common as a roaring or a grinding but it happens.

shouldabeen: post somepics of the calip and wheel we may be able to help.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by shouldabeen98
I have a 98 firebird with trans rims and I'm having the same problem. I pulled the rim off and the caliper is scraping the inside of my rim. & I'm completely lost on what to do about. I've spoke to a few people about it and they said they've never heard of that type of problem.
This is not possible on stock brakes and rims unless one of the brake caliper bolts is missing. Check the ones that hold the caliper to the bracket and the ones that hold the bracket to the wheel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaks coming from my passenger front wheel....