Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going to do a LT header install and had a couple questions

Old 01-04-2010, 12:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going to do a LT header install and had a couple questions

Alright so while my 01 ws6 is parked in the barn for the winter i decided i'm going to install some LT headers. I'm going to buy the pacesetter ones with emissions and o2 extensions. I was reading some of the other post about header installs and was just making sure i was getting the correct answer for a couple of the questions i had.

Even with the o2 extensions am i going to have to go somewhere to have the rear o2 code cleared?

by clearing that is there any downside? will it in any way affect how my car runs, like how rich or lean it is?

should i put new spark plugs in while i'm doing this? if so what kind would u recommend?

which mufflers should i use with my true duals?

what is the easiest way to get an x pipe true dual system over the axle? or is it easier to go under the axle? (i obviously want as much ground clearance as possible but it shouldnt really be a problem cuz my car;s not lowered nd i dont see speed bumps or curbs very often)

if you guys could give me some advice and help that'd be great
Old 01-04-2010, 01:18 AM
Staging Lane

Just pull the pcm and send it to frost and tell him what you want done.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

are you going to be running cats? the rear O2's basically tell the computer that the converters are working fine. they dont tell the motor anything for A/F. you got the headers for emissions so im thinking your going to run cats.

plugs-why not, i put the plugs in then the headers, the go over them fine, and they're easier.

TD's- id say over the axle, unless your going with some dumps or sidepipes, and tuning can be done at a shop (with hptuners or ls1edit) or a mail order tune from vendors.

sounds like a fun project man! should be sweet!
Old 01-04-2010, 01:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya do the plugs while you have everything out. So easy to do with nothing there. Which ones I don't know I just replaced with the stock delco ones.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02f150
Even with the o2 extensions am i going to have to go somewhere to have the rear o2 code cleared?
yes you need to have them programmed out. even if you don't the car won't drive differently. as stated the rear o2s are only there as dummy lights to tell if your converters are working. even with the SES light on the car will run just fine. a quick mail order tune would probably be a good idea.

by clearing that is there any downside? will it in any way affect how my car runs, like how rich or lean it is?
as stated above NO

should i put new spark plugs in while i'm doing this? if so what kind would u recommend?
absolutely. why not? keep it simple. i've had horrible luck with factory platnums in both my 4th gens. they are supposed to last 100K miles, but on 2 cars i had 1/2 of them missing the plat puck at ~50K miles. that was making the gap over .080"!!! i go with NGK TR55 or TR5s gapped at .050", they are about $2 each.

which mufflers should i use with my true duals?
if you're running them behind the axle, use a full size muffler. magnaflow 4x9s tame my cammed motor down nicely (although mine are dumped). other option is to put some chambered mufflers before the axle, they are thinner than most bullets.

what is the easiest way to get an x pipe true dual system over the axle? or is it easier to go under the axle? (i obviously want as much ground clearance as possible but it shouldnt really be a problem cuz my car;s not lowered nd i dont see speed bumps or curbs very often)
2.5" tubing, side by side over the stock location. you can buy the v6 fbody intermediate pipes cheap from Jegs or Summit, so you'll already have the correct curves for going over the axle. just need to connect them to the headers. if you take a regular Ypipe, and cut the merge off early and put 2 bends in it that point straight back, then stick a magnaflow Xpipe on it. connect that to the two Ipipes and just reroute the ends to run to your tips.
there really is no "EASY" way to do it...or "cheap".....dumped are the easiest and cheapest.

does that help?

oh and do yourself a favor....buy poly motor mounts and install them while the manifolds are off...you'll thank yourself
Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by teke184
does that help?

oh and do yourself a favor....buy poly motor mounts and install them while the manifolds are off...you'll thank yourself
ooo! thats a good one too! yeah at 60 bucks they're a pain to put in, but way worth while mod. nice to see the engine rev and not move much...
Old 01-04-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

with the manifolds off its cake....

with them in it took me 10hrs to do on my back, by myself.

with my headers in...i don't think it would be possible.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i would go ahead and change plugs before installing LT's. they are not that hard to change except for the rear passenger. may have to get underneath the car to do that one. car might run a little better as well. as for td's I run bullet mufflers and love them. they are loud so if you want something quiet I would suggest not running them. Also having your rear 02's should affect the way the car runs. any tuning shop can have them tuned out.

As for the ground clearance, mine are dumped so can't really help you there. Good luck with the install
Old 01-04-2010, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you'll only have to delete the codes if you remove your cats and set the engine light off. change the plugs, wires, and motor mounts while you're at it
Old 01-04-2010, 01:34 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can find someone selling used O2 Sims then you dont need to have them tuned out. Might as well get a full tune anyway since you are doing full exhaust and probably have future mods planned that require a tune. Some tuners are free-25$ for a re-tune, which is well worth it depending on how often you change your mind.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Teching In

alright thanks guys... i should be ordering the headers here in a week or two, nd while i'm there i'm going to do the motor mounts and spark plugs too cuz as u guys said why not lol o nd i'm not having cats nd as for the exhaust from the headers back i'm going to try nd find a local exhaust shop to do it and just hope they dont screw me on labor.wish i could do it myself but i just dont have the tools or the experience

thanks again!!!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike135531bubba
you'll only have to delete the codes if you remove your cats and set the engine light off.
This isn't 100% accurate. I have Jet Hot LT's & Catted Y with bungs for the rear O2's. I reinstalled the rear O2's and I still occasionally get an SES light. I believe its code PO420 (seriously), Insufficient Catalyst Performance. Something like that anyways. So even with cats, you still need to get the rear O2 Sensors shut off to prevent an SES light.

Originally Posted by mike135531bubba
change the plugs, wires, and motor mounts while you're at it
This I agree with 100%. As stated in previous posts, the motor mounts can be a PITA, but with the exhaust out of the way is the best time to do this. And once its done, you'll be glad you did it. Good luck.

Search this Thread