Sponsored by:

gauges

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gauges

wat would be the wire to tape into for gauges on my pilliar
right now they only come on when the running lights are on, but i want them to be able to dim
Old 12-18-2003, 06:14 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on what type of gauges you have, some of them don't dim, and won't work properly if you try and dim them.
The ones that dim will have a wire coming out of them for the backlight ... which you would hook into the dimmer wire coming out of your dimmer switch (right next to your headlights)
Old 12-18-2003, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not sure how hard the wiring for the dimmer switch is on an f-body, but on the vette I ended up running the wire from the gauge to the yellow lighting wire at the HVAC cluster, which is effected by the dimmer. I am also planning on installing a dimmer inline, as the autometer lighting in much brightr than the stock gauge/internal lighting... just doing it to keep the light levels even.

FYI, I'm using the autometer Cobalt gauges... they have the extra wire on the back.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mike00FRC

FYI, I'm using the autometer Cobalt gauges... they have the extra wire on the back.
Yep, that's what I'm talking about. The cobalt series are really nice gauges, most of the aftermarket gauges don't come with any kind of background lighting tho, which means you cannot dim them.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

i they have 2 wires running out a black and a white, i got them to dim but i must have messed somkething up, now i have a big problem, my dash lights all light up when i hit a bump and the car surges and at one point shut off im not sure if it has to do with my wiring on the headlight switch, wat do u guys think i should do
Old 12-19-2003, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
It depends on what type of gauges you have, some of them don't dim, and won't work properly if you try and dim them.
The ones that dim will have a wire coming out of them for the backlight ... which you would hook into the dimmer wire coming out of your dimmer switch (right next to your headlights)
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Dude, you have a gauge that doesn't dim .... you should really pay attention to the advice people give you when you ask a question.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

i still dont know which wire to go into and now none of the dash lights work
Old 12-24-2003, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

umm...... so your guages do dim or they dont, I just hooked my autometer guage light wire to the fuse box on the fuese for the cluster lights, or guage lights, cant remember the name of the fuse but thats how I hooked up mine and it works fine!

Quick Reply: gauges