Moving to Houston soon

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Moving to Houston soon

Well if all goes well I should be moving to Texas sometime in the coming months. Specifically NW Houston in Spring Branch East between Interstate 10 and Highway 290. I'm pretty excited about the move. I'm coming from Aloha, Oregon in the Portland metropolitan area, so it's going to be quite the trek. I'm moving to Houston because I'll be going to the School of Automotive Machinists.

I'm trying to get to know the area as best I can before I head down there. So what can you guys tell me about it? How's the weather, traffic, public water, living costs, you name it. Are there any good Houston F-body and third gen clubs? Hows the racing scene in general? Which drags strips, road courses do you prefer? What kind of grocery store chains exist there? Any good beaches? Hows the night life? What are the "good" area's and the "bad" areas of town. How is the law enforcement?

So let me have it,tell my anything you can think of, all the things I should try and be proud of and all the dirty little secrets. Hopefully I'll like it down there.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful, I heard Houston is sinking into the Gulf.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DBL_TKE
Well if all goes well I should be moving to Texas sometime in the coming months. Specifically NW Houston in Spring Branch East between Interstate 10 and Highway 290. I'm pretty excited about the move. I'm coming from Aloha, Oregon in the Portland metropolitan area, so it's going to be quite the trek. I'm moving to Houston because I'll be going to the School of Automotive Machinists.

I'm trying to get to know the area as best I can before I head down there. So what can you guys tell me about it? How's the weather, traffic, public water, living costs, you name it. Are there any good Houston F-body and third gen clubs? Hows the racing scene in general? Which drags strips, road courses do you prefer? What kind of grocery store chains exist there? Any good beaches? Hows the night life? What are the "good" area's and the "bad" areas of town. How is the law enforcement?

So let me have it,tell my anything you can think of, all the things I should try and be proud of and all the dirty little secrets. Hopefully I'll like it down there.
I don't go out, but night life in HOuston has to many choices.
We have Houston Raceway Park to the east, Angleton to the south, Houston Motorsprts park on the north east side, San Antonio raceway about 160 miles to the west and Pine Valley about 100 miles to the north.

I live between 290 and I10, traffic on 290 sucks, I10 isn't to bad depending on the hour. If you are looking to buyin about 2 years, we will be selling our house.

The good area's are the bad area's, haha. Law enforcement isn't bad if you don't do anything stupid. I usually drive 10 over on the freeway and 5 over in town and don't have a problem, but a v6 isn't going much faster than that anyway.

It's supposed to freeze most of this week, but weather is very mild except june,july and august, hot and humid, which I love.

Depending on where you live, water isn't to bad. Cost of living is about par with rest of nation? Fuel prices for regular are in the 2.2-2.4 range.

I believe that once you get here, you will want to stay.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cambirdracing
I don't go out, but night life in HOuston has to many choices.
We have Houston Raceway Park to the east, Angleton to the south, Houston Motorsprts park on the north east side, San Antonio raceway about 160 miles to the west and Pine Valley about 100 miles to the north.

I live between 290 and I10, traffic on 290 sucks, I10 isn't to bad depending on the hour. If you are looking to buyin about 2 years, we will be selling our house.

The good area's are the bad area's, haha. Law enforcement isn't bad if you don't do anything stupid. I usually drive 10 over on the freeway and 5 over in town and don't have a problem, but a v6 isn't going much faster than that anyway.

It's supposed to freeze most of this week, but weather is very mild except june,july and august, hot and humid, which I love.

Depending on where you live, water isn't to bad. Cost of living is about par with rest of nation? Fuel prices for regular are in the 2.2-2.4 range.

I believe that once you get here, you will want to stay.
Where da hoes at?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

depends what you want.

young=washington street
young=rice village
young and fashionable(high maintenance)=midtown
rich and older=uptown
all ages=downtown

u can have pretty much what ever you want around these area's. Just depends what your looking for. I love it, just plan on driving at a min of about 45 minutes anywhere you wanna go from your neck of the woods, well guess it depends where around 290 and 10.... it's a pretty big area if your living somewhere inbetween.

290 and the beltway is the worst interchange I think in Houston.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dirty 30
Where da hoes at?
Dallas
Old 01-04-2010, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

I'll be living about one mile from 1911 Antoine Drive. I know I won't mind the heat, in fact I hate any weather below 70, I just wonder how the humidity is. I'm used to places with dry heat like LA, Phoenix, and Vegas. I did just visit Hawaii for a week and it got up to 100% humidity and it didn't bother me at all, though it was only in the 80's.

Gas prices are pretty damn good over there. Over here it's generally $2.79 for premium.

I'm a little worried about inspections for DEQ. I have no AIR pump, no cat, headers, no horn, and my cars slammed so I'll have to check my ground to headlight/taillight measurements, I also have blacked out turn signals, side markers and tail lights. How strict are they? I'm pretty sure I'm emissions exempt as my car is now 25 years old.

I've also heard that there's no state income tax, is that correct?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've also heard that there's no state income tax, is that correct?
Indeed.
You have to pump your own gas too. Welcome to the Republic.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Emissions exempt at 25 years so you are in good shape.

Humidity will be in the 90's any day it is over 80 degrees.

Premium can run in the 2.70's easily.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:52 PM
11 Second Club

I don't think the humidity is that bad. The days it's hot, it burns the humidity off, and unless you work outside.....

I think you will get used to it. Everyone is different though so hard to say. My step family hates it, but they put up with it for the few months a year it's bad.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Houston is the best city in texas hands down no matter what and fastes cars in TEXAS!
Old 01-04-2010, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Austin is pretty bad *** too
Old 01-04-2010, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lo_jack
Indeed.
You have to pump your own gas too. Welcome to the Republic.
Thank GOD for that. That's one of the only things I hate about Oregon. Having to wait for someone to wait for another person that puts the nozzle to the car.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 PM
FormerVendor

Houston not bad. I moved here like 4 months ago and the only two things that are bad is the heat and the traffic. The car scene is good. Alot of fast cars come out to certain spots. I would suggest you not to try and race anyone though.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:34 AM
On The Tree

How are most of the roads? Where I'm from we have a pretty good DOT that stays on top of bumpy, cracked roads, pot holes and such. I can run with 2" of ground clearance without a problem, even downtown.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:21 AM
TECH Resident

How are most of the roads? Where I'm from we have a pretty good DOT that stays on top of bumpy, cracked roads, pot holes and such. I can run with 2" of ground clearance without a problem, even downtown.

Good luck on that here.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:20 AM
11 Second Club

yeah 2" is gonna be a HUGE issue. Freeways will be ok, but city streets suck and have huge sloping driveways for all the rain. (some angled enough you can get in, others not.)
Old 01-05-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Up on the northside in the woods you will probably be fine on 2" but there are spots in town, like parts of the Galleria area, where you will not be able to go when the rain comes. A lot of the roads are rough in town, but they resurface a little better than say, San Antonio. You'll be fine. Just pay attention until you become familiar with the places you are frequenting.

It blew my mind when my friend from Eugene told me she had never pumped gas in 18 years of life before she came to Texas.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lo_jack
Up on the northside in the woods you will probably be fine on 2" but there are spots in town, like parts of the Galleria area, where you will not be able to go when the rain comes. A lot of the roads are rough in town, but they resurface a little better than say, San Antonio. You'll be fine. Just pay attention until you become familiar with the places you are frequenting.

It blew my mind when my friend from Eugene told me she had never pumped gas in 18 years of life before she came to Texas.
i thought you guys were kidding about the pumping gas. Your serious?

Quick Reply: Moving to Houston soon