General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

checking for worn suspension components

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default checking for worn suspension components

What could i do just to check out the suspension on my car both front and rear to check to see what may or may not be worn, I already know i need tie rod ends soon cause the little boot is all dried out looking and getting old. I just want to make sure of things i need to properly maintain my car.

I have a 1996 Firebird Formula with 70k miles, so its not a whole lot of miles but i bought it used to i want to check stuff out when the weather warms up a bit. i jsut want to get this car in good mechanic shape.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone?
Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Control arm bushings:
Look at the rubber in the bushing. If it's cracked and brittle, time for new. Also, if you see that the steel inner sleeve is displaced, time for new. Make sure the rubber is the same thickness all the way around, on both the inner side and the outer side of the control arm. Look at both bushings on each arm, not just one.

A big hint here is if your front end squeaks when you go over bumps. Nearly always bad control arm bushings or sway bar bushings (especially if the sway bar bushings are urethane). The urethane bushings have to be greased. Don't think I've ever heard the factory rubber ones squeak.

Ball joints:
pick up the wheel with a jack under the control arm. Put a prybar under the wheel and move it up and down. If you can see appreciable movement between the parts of the ball joint, it's bad.

Tie rod ends:
See ball joint, but grab the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and try to move it back and forth while watching the rod end.

Sway bar bushings:
Look for cracks in the rubber. Replace if you see any. Don't forget to look at both the end link bushings and the frame bushings.

All the stuff in the back of the car is a repeat of the front.

Last edited by fleetmgr; 01-05-2010 at 11:50 AM.