Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dipstick measure for Moroso oil pan???

Old 01-04-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Dipstick measure for Moroso oil pan???

We put a Moroso 7qt pan with remote filter on the 408. What dipstick measure adjustments are needed for an accurate level reading?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:45 PM
10 Second Club

no adjustments. just put the dipstick back the way it was and full is full. I used the ford filter adapter that takes the long skinny v6 mustang filter. I wanna say I use around 8.5 quarts now.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:44 AM
7 Second Club

weld that bitch up and put a peep hole in it... change oil every 2 months and watch for oil drips.... no need to keep an eye on it that close with a dip stick.... dip sticks are for cars that get 100k miles on them
Old 01-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If it's a race car, I'd just figure out what you need, then tap the hole, put a plug in it, and change your oil more often then you need, and make sure you always fill it.

If the car takes 7 qts, then ptu 7 qt bottles on top of the motor when you change it.

I haven't looked at the dipstick on my car in a year, I just pull the drain plug, pull the filter, fill the filter and put the rest of the 6 qts in the car, and I change the oil every track trip.

FWIW, I think the stock dipstick doesn't read right with that pan, I remember talking to someone that said they kept adding oil until it read full and it was like 10 qts by the time they were done, which can't be right obviously.

I'd just call moroso and ask them what you're supposed to do. If they tell you the capacity is 7 qts plus the filter or whatever, just do by that. put the 1/2 qt in the filter when you change it, then pour 7 full qts in the motor. Start it, shut it off and see what the dipstick reads, if it's reading at all. Make a new full mark on the stick with a slight scribe or something, or just ditch it at that point.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good info JL... thanks
Old 01-05-2010, 06:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
FWIW, I think the stock dipstick doesn't read right with that pan, I remember talking to someone that said they kept adding oil until it read full and it was like 10 qts by the time they were done, which can't be right obviously.
the 10qts can be right. I only have the 6qt pan and like I said before I'm at around 8.5 qts. Depending on which filter you choose to use plus an extra qt in the pan it could be at that 9.5-10 mark. In my case its 6qt for the pan, around a qt for the filter, and the other 1.5 are in the adapter and 6ft of 10an lines I have from remote mounting it.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Could be right... but I'm not sure. I haven't gotten one on my car yet... will be when I get it back together.... at that point, I'll figure it out.

I'm going to get the biggest filter on there I can... just for safety's sake. That being said... I'm sure it will hold a good bit.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TexasVortexx
We put a Moroso 7qt pan with remote filter on the 408. What dipstick measure adjustments are needed for an accurate level reading?
did you cut a peice out of the windage tray for the dipstick?I was reading somewhere and it said this must be done.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That I don't know.... yet. I would have to ask the engine builder. The stock dipstick and tube fit good but there's no oil in it yet

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dipstick measure for Moroso oil pan???