Gear install help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear install help

I have a new gear set to install in my stock 10 bolt. I don't really want to take it to a shop to have it done because i want to learn how to do it myself. What I'm looking for is someone to help me with this that knows what they are doing. I'm stationed in Abilene and would travel just because i really want to do the gear swap myself and not F it up. If you can help PM me and we'll see what kind of deal we can work out.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad you live so far away. I'm close to Houston and could help.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:13 PM
8 Sec Tuner

Originally Posted by whtnuklz
I have a new gear set to install in my stock 10 bolt. I don't really want to take it to a shop to have it done because i want to learn how to do it myself. What I'm looking for is someone to help me with this that knows what they are doing. I'm stationed in Abilene and would travel just because i really want to do the gear swap myself and not F it up. If you can help PM me and we'll see what kind of deal we can work out.
Trust me gear installs are best left to professionals. You install it wrong it will whine like a SOB and ruin your gear. Its cheaper to have a professional do it right the FIRST time!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

I'm down in Conroe just north of houston every other weekend.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike TexaSS
Trust me gear installs are best left to professionals. You install it wrong it will whine like a SOB and ruin your gear. Its cheaper to have a professional do it right the FIRST time!
thats true, but even the pros started somewhere and it wasnt knowing how to do it already.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Regular

I installed 4.56's in a 10bolt on a 94 yukon, front and rear axles. They were the first R&P's I had ever installed.
I found some very thorough instructions the net with great pictures. Followed the directions to a T and kept adjusting the shims till the backlash was within spec and the wipe pattern was right on. I put 50k miles on that set of gears, running 37" tires, pulled trailers and generally abused the truck every way I could. Never had an issue with gear noise or breakage. I did break an axle, but the R&P was fine.
I guess my opinion is, it may take you a lot longer than a pro to install the gears, but as long as you keep adjusting it till the wipe pattern is correct and the backlash is within spec you can do just as good of a job.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:32 AM
8 Sec Tuner

Originally Posted by GulfM3
I installed 4.56's in a 10bolt on a 94 yukon, front and rear axles. They were the first R&P's I had ever installed.
I found some very thorough instructions the net with great pictures. Followed the directions to a T and kept adjusting the shims till the backlash was within spec and the wipe pattern was right on. I put 50k miles on that set of gears, running 37" tires, pulled trailers and generally abused the truck every way I could. Never had an issue with gear noise or breakage. I did break an axle, but the R&P was fine.
I guess my opinion is, it may take you a lot longer than a pro to install the gears, but as long as you keep adjusting it till the wipe pattern is correct and the backlash is within spec you can do just as good of a job.

You are correct. That is the correct way. Not always the war it happens in a driveway... Trust me ive seen it all!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

im in the same boat, i have some gears to install and my problem is finding someone to trust doing so, i have some friends that have done gear swaps and said they would help but i would hate to mess up my rear to save a little money, at the same time i would hate to spend the money and it still get messed up. You say u come to north houston every other weekend im in College Station maybe we could help each other out
Old 01-06-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done 2 in each of my cars, 2 in my brothers car, and about 6 others. None of these whined. The one I did about 25 years ago did whine. but none since. All of them have been either 10 or 12 bolts.