LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Good S.E. Mich Transmission shops???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good S.E. Mich Transmission shops???

Hi, I have been following the forum since buying a 2006 GXP but this is the my 1st post. By reading the posts, it seems like it is ineveitable that the transmissions will fail on these cars. Mine just started having problems @ 88K miles. When cold, my trans is slipping from a standing start. Once warm, the problem seems to go away but since the problem started the trans has not felt the same. The shifts are not as consistent and smooth. I have had the fluid flushed and the filter replaced and the valve solenoid replaced but the problem continues. Anyone have any thoughts as to what the problem could be and does anyone know of a trans shop in S.E. Michigan that is experienced with these cars?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

It sounds like your seals are starting to go and you are losing pressure. Once they warm up they seal better and you can get in and out of gear. My Brother-in-Law's old Bonneville (long gone) had the same problem and a can of TransX buys you about 10k-20k before you need another can, but I'm sure that's not the route you want to go unless you paid less than $1000 for it. I should know of a shop because I live in the area, but I don't. As far as I know, Dave at Triple Edge Performance is the closest "expert" on these transmissions (Fort Wayne IN), but if you do find someone good please let me know.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:39 PM

I'll let you know if I find someone good locally. A have a couple buddies that are mechanics that work on the Euro stuff and they are asking around for any good local talent. It sounds like Dave at Triple Edge has a good reputation based upon the feedback on here, I'll have to give him a call. Thanks for the TransX advise but I think I'll pass. I remember friends using "Those" type products in the cars back in high school as well to keep their clunkers running.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Triple Edge Performance is close enough to you. Their entry level transmission build is just under $2,000, and they offer installation also. I'd say that's where your money is better spent - with a company that specializes in our trannies.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heres a place in turtle lake wi

http://harmonperformancetransmissions.com/index.html
Old 01-06-2010, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CenTexSS
Triple Edge Performance is close enough to you. Their entry level transmission build is just under $2,000, and they offer installation also. I'd say that's where your money is better spent - with a company that specializes in our trannies.
Do that.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EmersonHart13
Do that.
Agreed. Dave seems to be the expert.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Just curious when Dave starting offering installs. I wrote him a couple of months ago and he told me that he only rebuilds. Since he rebuilds them out of his garage. If he did start this it would make things alot easier for me.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I read that installs are sometimes offered on his site.