LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Aftermarket Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Warranty

Does anyone else have one of these? It's included in the car payment every month. So I got to thinking, the dealer may be a little more lenient on modifications since there's no out of pocket for them. Seems like it'd be easier for them to "not notice" something with something like this. Anyone have any experience or thoughts?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you take your car into the same dealer for all your services?

From what I've seen, loyal customers get better treatment. My dealer once warrantied a tranny on a 350Z, even though he had a lot of mods that would normally void warranties- intake manifold, headers, clutch/flywheel, and shortshifter. Had the guy never been to our dealer prior to that, he would have been turned away quick.

Funny thing is, he no longer gets services done by us, and needs another tranny. No dice this time around.

So if you take it to the same dealer every time, become friendly with the Service Manager, then ask him how he feels about mods.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CenTexSS
Do you take your car into the same dealer for all your services?

From what I've seen, loyal customers get better treatment. My dealer once warrantied a tranny on a 350Z, even though he had a lot of mods that would normally void warranties- intake manifold, headers, clutch/flywheel, and shortshifter. Had the guy never been to our dealer prior to that, he would have been turned away quick.

Funny thing is, he no longer gets services done by us, and needs another tranny. No dice this time around.

So if you take it to the same dealer every time, become friendly with the Service Manager, then ask him how he feels about mods.

See, the dealer I use is strange. It's a small town dealer, I know everyone there, even on a first name basis with the owner. However, the vehicle I had before this we bought new from them and they voided it because of a cold air intake. My main question is whether it makes any difference to them if it's an aftermarket warranty or a manufacturer, new car warranty.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well first off, they can't just straight up completely void your warranty because of an intake. If you bring it in for some sort of engine related warranty work they can try and say the intake caused the problem and deny the claim on that basis, but they can't just completely void your warranty because the intake is on there.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 20SS07
Well first off, they can't just straight up completely void your warranty because of an intake. If you bring it in for some sort of engine related warranty work they can try and say the intake caused the problem and deny the claim on that basis, but they can't just completely void your warranty because the intake is on there.
I'm aware of that, we eventually got it worked out. Just making an observation as to how my "regular" dealer is a pain to deal with.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gotcha, just making sure.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

idk but i hate my dealer. they screwed me outta my warrenty although i should have had a 5/100k mile warreny that was the reason for getting the car in the first place but because the finance manager forgot to send in the request i got nothing and didnt go as of looking into it until i needed it and it was too late to certify it.. so im SOL! dont mean to hack ur thread just thought id share my story so you guys could be aware of the BS dealers out there! lol
Old 01-06-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealer I got my Imp from,I dont even mess with anymore long story short took in for a 15000 check up...Car was detailed the night before,and came back dirty inside and out(and the baster didnt even have the kind courtsy to do a full detail)

New one have not had a problem so far and they have done some warrenty work,nothing major but nothing out my pocket....

Replace trans cooler fitting,oil gasket,seat belt,font seat,maybe my new tranny,lol!!!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlabamaGuy
See, the dealer I use is strange. It's a small town dealer, I know everyone there, even on a first name basis with the owner. However, the vehicle I had before this we bought new from them and they voided it because of a cold air intake. My main question is whether it makes any difference to them if it's an aftermarket warranty or a manufacturer, new car warranty.
That's pretty weak. For an aftermarket warranty, they'll more than likely send out an inspecter prior to any major repairs.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Most "aftermarket" warranties (third party) are a POS. Regardless of mods, most will fight you on covering the repair cost for everything! Good luck. Next time I wouldn't waste your money if I were you.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sunset01SS
Most "aftermarket" warranties (third party) are a POS. Regardless of mods, most will fight you on covering the repair cost for everything! Good luck. Next time I wouldn't waste your money if I were you.
This company hasn't been too bad, a good friend of mine had the entire rear end of a GTO replaced with just a phone call.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Launching!

Did they void the factory warranty or an aftermarket warranty you had with them?
Old 01-07-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bigboy3l
Did they void the factory warranty or an aftermarket warranty you had with them?
When I had problems it was with the factory warranty on a previous vehicle. They "let it go" but could never "figure out the problem".
Old 01-09-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sunset01SS
I'd go with the aftermarket warranty that works hand in hand with the manufacturer.

I had an extended warranty with my Sentra, SecurityPlusGold. They never fought me for anything that I got replaced. My brother had the same warranty, he warrantied out more parts than the car retailed for new!
Old 01-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blakss
idk but i hate my dealer. they screwed me outta my warrenty although i should have had a 5/100k mile warreny that was the reason for getting the car in the first place but because the finance manager forgot to send in the request i got nothing and didnt go as of looking into it until i needed it and it was too late to certify it.. so im SOL! dont mean to hack ur thread just thought id share my story so you guys could be aware of the BS dealers out there! lol
Could be a small claims court case. They owe you.

Originally Posted by CenTexSS
I'd go with the aftermarket warranty that works hand in hand with the manufacturer.

I had an extended warranty with my Sentra, SecurityPlusGold. They never fought me for anything that I got replaced. My brother had the same warranty, he warrantied out more parts than the car retailed for new!
I got my car a month ago. I checked with the two local GM dealers regarding an extended warranty.
Both recommended warranties other than GM Protection Plan. One said United Car Care is the way to go, "Path of least resistance" as he put it. I apparently didn't take good notes with the other conversation, but the other guy said GM is picky and the other warranty he suggested is far easier to deal with.

Yet almost everyone at another website I hang at who works at a GM dealer says GMPP is the only way to fly. Which I tend to agree with.

BTW, over at www.truedelta.com mkarish recommends or at least lists Warranty Direct.

Getting a bit further off topic, TrueDelta does reliability, MPG, driving impressions, and other scoring for all brands of cars.
So far not a lot of LS4s on there, feel free to join.
He's building an alternative database vs. CR and others who he sees as having limited reality check.