Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drive by wire vs. cable throttle---throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive by wire vs. cable throttle---throttle response

I'm building an LS2 clone and am about ready to buy a harness/controller. Last weekend I drove a friends new offroad "truggy" with, I think an 05 or 06 truck 6.0 with drive by wire. When I floored the throttle there is a small, half second lag in response. Is this typical of drive by wire? Is it something that can be tuned? Is the manual cable drive more responsive? Maybe I should stick with cable drive. This is all going into and offroad racing "truggy" and off the corner, explosive throttle response is a must. Unfortunatly, I don't have much time in driving any of these engines as I am building offroaders. Your input and experiance is welcome and helpfull. Thanks-Jon
Old 01-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Teching In

I was a skeptic of Drive by Wire when that stuff first came out, but my current daily driver is an 02 corvette and the throttle response is very crisp with the DBW throttle body. If your buddies had a hessitation, it was most likely something besides the throttle body.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Teching In

The DBW setup has surprised me at how seamless it really is, i have a duramax diesel and had a nissan pathfinder with DBW and the response is like hitting a light switch. my guess is ur friend may have a slight issue with his setup.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Default thanks

thanks for your opinion guys. Now that you mention the tuning, I think he bought the engine and controller seperate, probobly with a "generic" tune so it is not optimized to his setup. So, as I understand it now, there shouldn't be any difference in the throttle response between cable or electronic with the proper tune.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by badjonny
thanks for your opinion guys. Now that you mention the tuning, I think he bought the engine and controller seperate, probobly with a "generic" tune so it is not optimized to his setup. So, as I understand it now, there shouldn't be any difference in the throttle response between cable or electronic with the proper tune.
In theory there should be no perceptible difference unless you notice a change in spring tension or resistance. I've driven a few 2500 HD 6.0 trucks with DBW and a couple that didn't, a couple of Camaros without and Vettes with. Honestly I didn't know the DBW trucks weren't cabled until I popped the hoods. I like DBW from a hot rod cleanliness angle but there are times a cable is the better design. For me it all depends on where the engine is going to live, not which is which.

Besides the bad tune possibility, I don't know how compatible all the DBW stuff is and your friend may have mismatched parts.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

I have the opposite opinion, I have a duramax and a g8, both drive by wire and a 98 camaro cable driven and can really tell a major difference. I am not a fan of it, it seems every DBW car I have ever driven seems to have slight hesitation and they dont seem to accelerate as quickly
Old 01-08-2010, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont mind it in my silverado.. but like if you stomp it then let off real quick, it doesnt do anything.. same with the trucks at work, and my dads mustang he used to have.. thats weird to do lmao.. but i will be doing cable driven more than likely in my project.

Quick Reply: drive by wire vs. cable throttle---throttle response