Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why oil in the intake air charge is BAD...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why oil in the intake air charge is BAD...

To many don't understand the need for a proper oil seperating catch can, so here is a short explanation as to why you don't want that oil entering your combustion chamber:

GM in their design accepts oil in the intake, but there is nothing good that comes w/it.

1. You want only air & fuel in the combustion chamber, oil does not burn well and any oil included in the intake air charge will result in less energy released per explosion, and it also reduces the useable octane of the fuel your using....resulting in detonation and less power & less fuel economy.

2. The oil does not burn completely and leaves a deposit that builds up on your piston tops & valves. This causes the burn to be uneven & results in hot-spots on the piston top, and the deposits on the valves reduces the velocity, or volumetric efficiency again negatively affecting power.

3. The carbon buildup left by the oil is a very hard & abrasive compound that as small pieces break off can be caught between the cyl wall & piston causing score marks and shortened engine life.

So no!!! Nothing good comes from oil in the intake, but to meet emission requirements GM & every other manufacturer of engines accepts it as a side effect of a closed crankcase ventilation system. A good, proper working oil separating catch can is the only good solution.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:04 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice info!

Who was saying something good comes from it anyway?!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a rev extreme catch can to solve this after reading some other info. Thanks for some good info
Old 01-06-2010, 05:12 PM
TECH Regular

thank you for that information....makes me want to order one..my intakes has a film in it all the time ..hope this gets rid of it
Old 01-06-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I really should get one...I'm lazy
Old 01-06-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since you brought it up, Do I need to run a breather in my oil fill cap?
Here is what I was going to follow, doesnt show a breather.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/11059703-post70.html
Old 01-06-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Let's see some proof that #1 does in fact happen enough that its a measureable loss and that fuel system cleaners and or motor cleaners of some type dont or will not clean the tops of pistons.

I agree with #2 to a point. But if you could run a cleaner, like stated in the previous paragraph, then #2 doesnt matter.

Let's also see proof about #3. I just took apart a 107K LS1 with an oil soaked LS6 intake and although the tops of the pistons were black, the cylinder walls were beautiful.

Although there is truth in each statement, the bottom line is, its presented in a biased format. Therefor making it pretty much BS.

Have a nice day
Old 01-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they put cans in cars, would people ever empty them?
Doesn't doing a complete fuel system cleaning help this out? I mean the type where you allow the cleaner to flow into the intake air while its running, clean the throttle body, and add fuel system treatment.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Let's see some proof that #1 does in fact happen enough that its a measureable loss and that fuel system cleaners and or motor cleaners of some type dont or will not clean the tops of pistons.
I agree with #2 to a point. But if you could run a cleaner, like stated in the previous paragraph, then #2 doesnt matter.
Let's also see proof about #3. I just took apart a 107K LS1 with an oil soaked LS6 intake and although the tops of the pistons were black, the cylinder walls were beautiful.
Although there is truth in each statement, the bottom line is, its presented in a biased format. Therefor making it pretty much BS.
I don't see what the "bias" is in the "format." In my mind, #3 is an unlikely but possible scenario, #2 is a known fact, and #1 makes sense theoretically. I agree that top end cleaner is a good remedy and IMO, should be run through our engines periodically. Another thing worth considering is that a catch can will reduce the amount of oil going into the intake, but may not entirely eliminate it. I run one, but also use Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:43 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its because he used to sell these as a sponsor. That is what the writeup was for. Subtle but cleaver.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

meat cleaver???
Old 01-07-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am blinded by the brilliance of this post.

Next we will be educated on the negative effects of gasoline in our crankcase.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by crainholio
I am blinded by the brilliance of this post.

You can dump all the gas you want in your crankcase....just post back & let us know the results.

As for the oil contaminating the intake air charge reducing the useable octaine, do a google search or talk to a tuner that has battled knock due to the oil.

Those that choose to use a top-end cleaner that is good, but not nearly as convieniant....but it's a free country so whatever floats your boat.

Those that question the benefits by all means DON'T use one! I'm sure your fine w/out it in your mind. There are millions of cars running years & years just fine w/out an oil seperator. Those that want to avoid any issues and get the most performance possible out of their engine are the ones that should add one.

And last, I'd be glad to compare qualifications & experiance with any of the naysayers.

Over 40 years of performance engine building.

Trained at Reher Morrison Pro Stock engine building.

7 years owning & crew-chiefing one of the winningest teams in Big$ Bracket Racing.

2nd racer in history to win a NHRA Wally with a GenIII corvette.

tear down & build performance engines daily from street to alky fueled 1,000 hp race engines.

Drivers on the team winning Local, Divisional, National & World championships in both NHRA & IHRA in several classes through the years.

This is what I do day-in & day-out, not a "keyboard expert" like some of the critics here.

And, the RevX products are carried by several active supporting vendors on LS1tech, so if for some reason you are biased against me buy the next best thing, the Mike Norris can as it is very effective also.

So by all means, if you think these are not beneficial then by all means, do NOT use one.....just don't spout dribble to the well meaning that care for the best.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

LMAO.... What is that supposed to mean? Novaguy has a point about emptying the can. Alot of people can't check the oil .
Old 01-09-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
You can dump all the gas you want in your crankcase....just post back & let us know the results.

As for the oil contaminating the intake air charge reducing the useable octaine, do a google search or talk to a tuner that has battled knock due to the oil.
I'm not in any way disputing the fact that oil in the intake is bad, and for all the reasons you stated.

I was sarcastically saying it's so obvious as to negate the need to even state it.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand what the OP is getting at, but I have also seen many article on 100k LS builds where the tear downs show the internals to be in A1 shape. I don't think we are all looking to get 500,000 miles out of these engines. I'm not sure I'll put that many on my car in a life time. But I'm not worried about this thing reaching 200k
Old 01-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Banned

I'm not in any way disputing the fact that oil in the intake is bad, and for all the reasons you stated.

I was sarcastically saying it's so obvious as to negate the need to even state it.
My error.....just sharing info that so many don't seem to understand.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

So what catch can is the easiest to install and requires the least modification?
Old 01-10-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
And last, I'd be glad to compare qualifications & experiance with any of the naysayers.

Over 40 years of performance engine building.

Trained at Reher Morrison Pro Stock engine building.

7 years owning & crew-chiefing one of the winningest teams in Big$ Bracket Racing.

2nd racer in history to win a NHRA Wally with a GenIII corvette.

tear down & build performance engines daily from street to alky fueled 1,000 hp race engines.

Drivers on the team winning Local, Divisional, National & World championships in both NHRA & IHRA in several classes through the years.
If I had these qualifications I wouldnt be arguing with someone on an internet forum. It just makes you look dumb Of course this thread isnt about common sense.....Or is it??
Old 01-10-2010, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

Sales pitch?

Quick Reply: Why oil in the intake air charge is BAD...